Ready for state LR championship

257 Ackley

Handloader
Nov 25, 2008
Minnesota has their long range state F-class championship this weekend at the only 1000 yard range in the state. Format is three matches on Saturday with 2 sighters and 20 shots for record, followed by one match as a two person team (if you want to shoot). Sunday is a palma format which is two sighters and 15 shots for record at 800, 900 and 1000 yards. There is usually 70-80 people that attend this event from Minnesota, North Dakota, Wisconsin, South Dakota and Iowa. Hopefully there isn't too much wind so the little 6BRX can have a chance against the big boys shooting the 7&300 magnum calibers with their high BC bullets.

Go get 'em, Joel. We're all pulling for you! I'll be watching with interest to see how you do.

Little update on the LR state championship last weekend:
Saturday was 3 matches at 1000 plus the team match. There was really switchy winds that caused a lot of vertical problems for the guys shooting the small and FTR calibers (223 & 308). High humidity and mid 80 temps made for a long day. My partner and I managed to win the team championship by one point over the team that has won it the previous 2 years. Sunday was palma format, so you shoot one match at 800, 900 and 1000 with only 2 sighters and 15 shots for record. It requires you to know the ballistics of the round you are shooting to dial elevation, or your first couple of shots for record can end up in the 8 ring. Mirage was really bad at 900 & 1000, to the point where I had to dial back to about 20 power on the scope to have the target not be in constant motion.

Saturday had 60-some shooters and I think there was only 42 that finished out on Sunday. I finished 8th overall, but got my master classification for LR competitions (94 - 96%), shooting 1012 out of a possible 1050 points. Not what I had hoped for, but most that beat me are better at seeing some of the subtle wind changes and nuances this range has. The top three places went to high masters that shoot matches on a national level, (winner shot 1036-42X, 2nd place was 1035-53X). The X-ring is 5" for those who want to go out and try to put 20 shots in it at 1000 yards... :) Trigger time is always good, so this was great fun as far as I am concerned.

Congratulations, Joel! That's pretty impressive. You made your mark! Well done.

Looks like you load 105 Hybrids, is that correct? If so, what velocity and barrel length do you get with your BRX? I get 2,870 with my 6BR and 27" barrel.

Hey Joel- Sounds like you did well! It was cooker that weekend! Have friend from back home who was talking about coming up for that. Wonder if he made it. I have to check out some more of that stuff. Enjoyed watching and looking at the equipment. WAAY to busy with work again this summer.... Hope you have a chance for some more fun! CL

.300winmag":3rsqyk9y said:
Looks like you load 105 Hybrids, is that correct? If so, what velocity and barrel length do you get with your BRX? I get 2,870 with my 6BR and 27" barrel.

That sounds about right for a 6BR if you have quite a bit of freebore. 32.8 grains of Varget pushes the 105 at 2975-ish in my 30" barrel. I haven't checked velocity in over a year, but that was where it was at after about 200 rounds. I ran 33.2 grains for a while, but brass life is affected (mainly primer pockets).

I am testing a new VLD bullet made by a custom manufacturer out of PA. right now that looks like it will be replacing the hybrid. Base to ogive from bullet to bullet is the best I have ever seen and the biggest difference in weight has been .04 grains. I prefer jumping to jamming, but these really like a .0010 jam. Guy that makes them is a benchrest shooter that runs a 6X47 Lapua at 3150fps. He says he is only 8 minutes from his 100 yard zero to 600 yards. I'm at 10.75 minutes for the same distance. I was at 11.5 minutes with the hybrid, so the BC must be a little better with this bullet. He said Bryan Litz is testing them right now to give him some hard data. At $225/500 they better be good. Nice feature with these bullets is not needing to trim meplates and point bullets.

cloverleaf":18jtiz5u said:
WAAY to busy with work again this summer.... Hope you have a chance for some more fun! CL
You have to TAKE the time for what you enjoy. :) We have the state mid-range championship in Redwing on the 8th and 9th.

257 Ackley":12a7qb29 said:
.300winmag":12a7qb29 said:

That sounds about right for a 6BR if you have quite a bit of freebore. 32.8 grains of Varget pushes the 105 at 2975-ish in my 30" barrel. I haven't checked velocity in over a year, but that was where it was at after about 200 rounds. I ran 33.2 grains for a while, but brass life is affected (mainly primer pockets).

I am testing a new VLD bullet made by a custom manufacturer out of PA. right now that looks like it will be replacing the hybrid. Base to ogive from bullet to bullet is the best I have ever seen and the biggest difference in weight has been .04 grains. I prefer jumping to jamming, but these really like a .0010 jam. Guy that makes them is a benchrest shooter that runs a 6X47 Lapua at 3150fps. He says he is only 8 minutes from his 100 yard zero to 600 yards. I'm at 10.75 minutes for the same distance. I was at 11.5 minutes with the hybrid, so the BC must be a little better with this bullet. He said Bryan Litz is testing them right now to give him some hard data. At $225/500 they better be good. Nice feature with these bullets is not needing to trim meplates and point bullets.

Thanks for th info! I've thought about doing a 6BRX but I really like the ease of the 6BR, just buy lapua brass, throw in 30grs Varget, put a 105 Hybrid 0.015" off the lands and shoot. I'll do 28" on my next barrel, research shows me you don't gain much velocity with this case past that. What custom bullets are you using? They aren't Caterucino (spelling?) are they?

Again, fantastic shooting! Wish we were closer together so we could shoot a match together, along with 1,000yardline!

.300winmag":12hsd3fn said:
257 Ackley":12hsd3fn said:
.300winmag":12hsd3fn said:

What custom bullets are you using?
I'll send you a PM with the info...a couple guys I shoot with monitor this website and I don't want them to know what they are... :mrgreen:

You can be very competitive with the standard 6BR if you are only shooting mid-range matches. I got to high master classification with the exact load you are shooting. What I was trying to figure out is whether I could be competitive with the 284 Shehanes and 7SAUM's that usually place high at 1000. The BC of the 180 grain bullets the guys shoot in those calibers are tough to compete against if there is much wind.
I am actually building another mid-range rifle right now in a variation of the 6BR. I just got the reamer from PT&G about two weeks ago. It is a 6BR AI. The difference between it and a Dasher is how far the 40 degree shoulder is blown forward. It only has the shoulder blown forward about half of what the Dasher is. Several LR benchrest shooters I know have gone to this and are winning most of the 600 yard matches for both ag and score. Standard load is 31.2-31.4 grains of Varget. Once the new rifle is up and running I am planning on building a 284 on the old 6BR that sits in the safe right now. I might sell the BRX since I have another one built on an Elisio chassis that doesn't get shot much. Always fun to play with a new toy...

Back