useful practice for a simple 100 yard range

cloverleaf

Handloader
Sep 10, 2006
So the post regarding across the course has me thinking. What types of shooting and practice do you do that is useful in a hunting situation? Obviously different positions, but what other types of things? I have access to a 25/ 50 and 100 yard range. Keep in mind that shooting from the wheelchair limits the types of positions but you would be surprised some of the contortions you can get into. For example, a shot straight away is tough, remember you cant pivot your hips or move your feet... :)

Also I usually start with the .22 them move up to other things if needed or desired just to keep from starting off with a flinch. For the same reason I try and finish with my .22 Mag, a favorite and very accurate shooting rifle. Some times it takes quite a few rounds to get rid of my new found flinch after a half a dozen 12 guage slugs.

I have a friend who says, "if you are missing you are too far away. When you can hit from where you are then back up". I don't know that I subscribe to that line of thinking entirely but I can see the wisdom too.

I like a reactive target, but clay pigeons don't require a lot of precision in some scenarios. Aim small miss small and all that. What do you use for a target. Keeping in mind I am thinking primarily rifle shooting in hunting scenarios, how do you practice? Hope to head out next week to shoot some. Its been a long cold wintre Im rusty cL

Cheap remote controlled car, a coat hanger wire and small balloons, use your 22lr and have a ball.

Also good for "charging bear" practice

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thebear_78":1jv4k2ld said:
Cheap remote controlled car,
Great idea! :idea:

JD338

Thebear_78":3kp4rpqw said:
It's a lot of fun!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm thinking "Stopping a Charge" with the Marlin 45-70 would be a blast.

JD338

JD338":3ld4lh1q said:
Thebear_78":3ld4lh1q said:

JD338

Well- yup that do sound like fun. However, all my targets have to be attached to the stationary plywood stand. No steel, no spinners, :evil: CL

I shoot empty shotgun shells 1/2 full of cured silicone caulk in the backyard with the .22. You have 2 aimpoints. Top half to tip them, bottom half to give them a ride and increase your range. Really fun for young and old alike. When I get a calm day, I like to tack some nails into the top rail of a fence and practice plucking them off into the swamp. Also keep a few pieces of channel steel on a rope hanging there. Some small ones for .22 and larger ones for CF handguns. The rope takes quite a bit of abuse before it parts and is a cheap and fast replacement.

I don't shoot a lot of reactive targets with HP rifle as none of my ranges allow reactive targets and I don't have safe field of fire at home for HP rifles other than a small sand pile for a quick zero check. I also shoot a lot of metallic airgun silhouettes around the yard, mostly offhand.

I have shot CF at ice blocks on the lake in winter. A local lake has a high sand bank that makes a fine backstop and allows for 1000 yards or better.

cloverleaf":2g99im7x said:
JD338":2g99im7x said:
Thebear_78":2g99im7x said:

JD338

Well- yup that do sound like fun. However, all my targets have to be attached to the stationary plywood stand. No steel, no spinners, :evil: CL

Ice cubes. You can mold a roofing nail right into them and plug them into bullet holes.

Metal dingers, with a .22 rimfire. I just use my good ol' Marlin 39A when I'm flush with lots of .22 ammo.

Prone, sitting, kneeling and standing. Even at 25 yards, it's fun and challenging. At 50 yards - it's a pretty doggone good test of rifle marksmanship!

And it's fun watching them spin when well-hit.

Guy

Back