Benchrest

Guy Miner

Master Loader
Apr 6, 2006
With things starting to open back up a little, at least here in Washington, one of the local gun clubs is re-starting their casual benchrest competition at 100, 200 and 300 yards.

Since my neck no longer permits me to shoot prone, I think I'll give this a try!

They have a "hunter benchrest" group, that requires a 30 caliber and a 6x scope... Well, I just happen to have a Krieger-barreled 308, a Rem 700, with a 6x SWFA scope... :grin: I think it'll go back into the heavier McMillan stock for this.

AuECwxch.jpg

Also have the 6mm Creedmoor, Ruger Precision Rifle... Goodness it's a shooter!
aCTYVWlh.jpg

3eyClJEh.jpg

So, I may be slowly, gradually, starting to get involved in Benchrest competition.

Anyone ever done this in competition? I may need some pointers!

Guy

The range I belong to has 300 yd benchrest matches (virus) permitting. Classes have been light or heavy barrel. This year it will be factory or custom. No scope restrictions. Calibers are 17 to 30 centerfire. 3 5 shot groups. Dan.

Yes. Light Varmint and Heavy Varmint. Hunter BR is popular in the NW. It will be an eye opening for you. Spend some time with the other shooters. They are an open book. You’ll quickly find yourself in the realm of custom BR guns if you spend much time at it.

That should be a blast Guy. Good luck and some great rifles there too!

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Informal club matches are great fun. Pretty much shoot what you have just to get into it. I am in the process of configuring my 308 F-T/R rifle to shoot in Varmint for score benchrest matches to 500 yards. The competition is shooting mostly full blown 6mm BR variants in regulation BR formats. My T/R rifle weighs 18# so the recoil pretty tolerable, even shooting 185 gr Bergers. May rebarrel to 6BR for next year. My style is not BR in that I don't shoot free recoil so this will be a challenge to shoot against IBS/NBRSA type shooters but it is stiil fun to try with what I have.

Have fun with it.

Sounds like a good time Guy. Years ago I shot in a BR league. It was 100 yards 1 shot per target and your score was based on center of bullet holes to the X.
My girlfriend at the time used my M70 XTR 243 Win and actually shot a perfect .000" on one of her shots, the only person to ever do it at that time.
Not sure I can give you any advice other than this one tip I learned. Once you get set up to shoot and breathing is under control, close your eyes for a few seconds. Open your eyes and see where your cross hairs are. That is where your shot would have been. Readjust as necessary and repeat until the cross hairs are exactly where you want them to be.
Hope this helps and best of luck to you!

JD338

Back