review on pro-series S&W model 60 357

mcseal2

Handloader
Nov 1, 2010
I just got one of these and thought I'd do a review. This is a really nice little revolver for concealed carry, or packing along for insurance. It is a 3" 5 shot stainless revolver. It weighs in at 23oz and has a match grade barrel and tritnium front sight. The shop I found mine in was asking $689 but came down. The gun is very slim for what it is and is easy to carry. It also points really well for me. The grips are a nice laminate wood and it has a non-glare finish on the metal. Mine will probably end up wearing crimson trace grips, but these are very comfortable. I've shot 125gr HSM 38spl hollowpoint ammo and Black Hills 357 125gr Sierra JHP bullets through it and both shoot to the same POI to 20yds. Accuracy is excellent, groups out to 10 yards offhand are usually ragged holes. Hitting an old CD at 20yds is not a problem either. At 30yds my groups opened up to 5" and that's about as good as I do with any revolver. Recoil is pleasant with the 38 ammo, and stout with the 357's as I'd expect from a gun this size. I'd been wanting a revolver like this to pack along for some time, accurate enough for small game with 38's but with the power of the 357. As you can probably tell I really like this little revolver. Mine will be going along on all my fishing and hiking trips where it's allowed just in case.

I appreciate the review. I have the 60 Pro listed as my next purchase. So it is nice to see that it is exactly what I was hoping it would be.

Long

Thanks, glad I could help. I couldn't be happier with mine. I plan to get my gunsmith to add the crimson trace grips, although the factory ones look and feel nice enough I hate to. Then I'll have the trigger stoned to improve the double action pull and it will be perfect. Single action is pretty nice already.

Very awesome review MC. I have always wanted a nice 357 for carrying. Scotty

I like those little 5-shot S&W revolvers. Frequently carry a 2" .38 Model 36 when I need to have a discrete little gun along. Used to have the hammerless stainless .357 mag version, and liked it a lot as well. Anymore I usually bump up to my well worn 2.5" six-shot Model 19 S&W .357 for field duty. Light enough it doesn't bother me at all while hiking, mountain biking or fishing. Powerful & accurate enough for most field use.

I got both of those revolvers at ridiculously low prices. Snapped 'em up!

Guy

I pack a S&W Kit gun Airlite, 5 shot, 3" Barrel, Hi Vis sights, exposed, full time, when I'm not at work. Do not even notice I am packing it. I have a high ride Galco pancake holster. When I need to pack concealed, I got a inside the waist band, high ride, when I'm dressed up. And I got a shoulder holster, with re-ups under the other arm. I also have a S&W 317 Air Lite in .22. 8 shot, 3" barrel, Hi Vis sights. I got an Ancle holter that fits both of them too. the nice thing about these guns, they share holsters. Same grip size, same sights, same Barrel length.

Just a late add-on to the review. I finally got the trigger job done. My gunsmith did it fairly quick, but I like this little revolver enough it took me a while to want to be without it. I've got to do quite a bit of field shooting and it has kept impressing me with it's accuracy. I can't shoot any better with my heavy 6.5" gun than I can with this one. The sights are a little finer than most of my revolvers which I think helps my precision shooting. With the trigger job it is just plain deadly. I also picked up a Taurus 2.5" 357 on a heck of a deal, so I had that to pack while waiting for my trigger to get done on this one. It got it's trigger job next. I'm so used to a nice crisp 2lb trigger on all my rifles, even my Beretta shotgun, that I have trouble shooting the striker fired autos really well. These short barrelled revolvers are amazingly accurate with a good trigger though. The Taurus has crude sights and won't compete with my S&W but is still printing palm size groups at 5-15yds. I'm thinking my next revolvers will be a pair of the Ruger SP101's in 357 and 22LR with the new 4.2" barrels. Might try to find another cheap Taurus for my 2nd truck also if I come across one.

Great review MC. Again, that is awesome info. Wife wants a M60 357.. I think I will show her this.

Guy Miner":2o7d4nwo said:
I like those little 5-shot S&W revolvers. Frequently carry a 2" .38 Model 36 when I need to have a discrete little gun along. Used to have the hammerless stainless .357 mag version, and liked it a lot as well. Anymore I usually bump up to my well worn 2.5" six-shot Model 19 S&W .357 for field duty. Light enough it doesn't bother me at all while hiking, mountain biking or fishing. Powerful & accurate enough for most field use.

I got both of those revolvers at ridiculously low prices. Snapped 'em up!

Guy

Your use sounds just like mine. Can't beat that size/weight revolver to have along outdoors just in case. Easy to forget you are packing them until you need them.

I've had quite a bit of experience with the different pistol rounds euthanizing terminally injured or ill animals. I've been unimpressed with the ability of 9mm, 38spcl, 45 ACP, and 40 S&W to reliably penetrate enough for an instant humane brain shot. I realize that most HP bullets are designed not to overpenetrate and unintentionally hit another target, but even 9mm ball failed to penetrate the skull on one old bull. I hate to see anything suffer needlessly, so I will never again use anything less than the 357. I've never had any 125-180gr bullet from the 357 not do the job cleanly the first time. I won't settle for anything smaller when outdoors, because I'm not worried about overpenetration and want the best wound channel I can get to shut down anything threatening me. I still pack my Kahr CM9 in a pocket holster when I go to the city without a jacket to conceal my revolver but don't have much faith in it for stopping animals.

SJB358":s12916u2 said:
Great review MC. Again, that is awesome info. Wife wants a M60 357.. I think I will show her this.

Doubt you will be disappointed. I sure like the Pro Series version with the tritnium front site. The match grade barrel is nice also, but after having the tritnium site I want it on everything.

G'Day Fella's,

Mcseal2, I don't have many revolvers, but the following, is one of my favourite handguns!
It's a S&W (is there any other option!) Model 63 or 64? in .38Special.

Doh!
Homer

Attachments

• scan0002.jpg
    202.7 KB · Views: 4,037
Thanks for the review. I carry both a Scandium S&W 331 and 317. They look just like the Model 60 S&W but only weigh 12 ounces each. They all, including the model 60, are great little guns and I would want the extra weight of the Model 60 to shoot .357 Mag in any of these small J frame guns.

Oldtrader3":rr9eiyg5 said:
Thanks for the review. I carry both a Scandium S&W 331 and 317. They look just like the Model 60 S&W but only weigh 12 ounces each. They all, including the model 60, are great little guns and I would want the extra weight of the Model 60 to shoot .357 Mag in any of these small J frame guns.

Sounds like a great carry set-up. I bet they would get real lively with hot 357 loads, my 60 bucks enough.

Yeah, the 331 with 85 grain load at about 1200 fps (with LilGun) barks pretty good but the rubber grips take most of the sting out of it. My present .357 is a Ruger Blackhawk, 7-1/2 inch, Bisley Model.

Nice 357. I got a Ruger Blackhawk convertible in 9mm/357 earlier this year. I really like it, it is a distributors exclusive 6.5" stainless gun with laminate grips. I had my gunsmith stone the trigger and it really shoots. Also love having the 9mm cylinder for cheaper practice, at least back when you could buy 9mm.

Yeah, having the extra cylinder for an auto cartridge is nice. I should have one made for one of my USFA .45 Colt's to convert to .45 ACP.

Back