Bought my first concealed carry/ personal protection handgun

DeerTracker

Handloader
Nov 19, 2010
Last weekend I went to a local gun show with my Dad and little bro. I have been wanting a concealed carry/personal protection handgun for a while. So I did a little shopping around at the gun show. I ended up bringing home a new S&W 442 38 Spl and paid $350 for it! Ive shot about 50 rounds through it so far. Bought some 125gr Blazer brass fmj's and some 125gr Ultramax hp's. It shoots the hp's alot closer to the POA than the fmj's. I shot probably 30 rounds through it this evening and developed a blister in the web of my hand and a stiff thumb. Am I a wimp? lol I bought this with the intentions of letting my fiance' shoot it and have access to it if she wanted to carry it or what not. Is there any easier shooting factory ammo out there to practice with? It really is not bad at all to shoot 10 rounds or so through but when I shoot it, I want to shoot more than that through it. Any tips ya'll can give me?

DeerTracker":aqby8fs2 said:
Last weekend I went to a local gun show with my Dad and little bro. I have been wanting a concealed carry/personal protection handgun for a while. So I did a little shopping around at the gun show. I ended up bringing home a new S&W 442 38 Spl and paid $350 for it! Ive shot about 50 rounds through it so far. Bought some 125gr Blazer brass fmj's and some 125gr Ultramax hp's. It shoots the hp's alot closer to the POA than the fmj's. I shot probably 30 rounds through it this evening and developed a blister in the web of my hand and a stiff thumb. Am I a wimp? lol I bought this with the intentions of letting my fiance' shoot it and have access to it if she wanted to carry it or what not. Is there any easier shooting factory ammo out there to practice with? It really is not bad at all to shoot 10 rounds or so through but when I shoot it, I want to shoot more than that through it. Any tips ya'll can give me?

Awesome. Sounds like a perfect little pistol for SD.

Maybe look at some other loads in the reloading manuals. I imagine you could whip something up that wouldn't bust up your paws.

I have 642 and it barks! I changed a grip to Hogg first, then to Laser Grip 305. It is larger grip but it shoot much better and more accurate. More fun and better accuracy. Another model smaller is 405. It has extra padding in the back.
Vodekz

I have several S&W J-frame handguns but mine are exposed hammer. The are well made, great little guns for CC. You might try some midrange 125 gr or target 158 gr load, standard velocity ammo, if you can find it to buy or load your own. It sounds as though you bought Plus P 125 gr ammo (P+) ammo.

There are many light, starting loads listed in the manuals. Drop your velocity to 800 fps or so and your 442 will be pretty tame.

Nice choice!

revolvers_sw442.jpg

never can go wrong with a smith .38.My first backup/off duty was a j-frame.A current production excellent round is the speer gold dot LE +P 135 gr Hp to carry in it,but practice with non +p wadcutters or what ever is cheap.Lee

Deer Tracker - you're a handloader right?

Get some .38 Special dies, 148 gr wadcutters, Bullseye, and load them to about 700 fps for a classic .38 target combo. Very Mild recoil and excellent accuracy.

Or buy factory loaded wadcutter target ammo if you can find any. It used to be pretty common before the world went crazy for semi-autos.

Guy

I shoot the 125 grain P+ bullet loads in my .38 special. They do not recoil too much for me. I load them to about 1000 fps in a 2 inch barrel.

TIP:

Change the stocks.

Get a Mika pocket holster.

Work up a handload you like to shoot and go shoot.

I recommend the 135 Grain Gold Dot as a carry load.

Carry Speedloaders in your pockets along with Speed Strips.

Go forth armed and stay safe.

I carry a 442 as a BUG and wouldn't trade it for any other handgun.

Back