Picked up an SR1911

meatmachineman

Handloader
Jan 25, 2012
Through some horse trading at the gun shop today, I picked up a Ruger SR1911. One of my trades was a two-tone aluminum alloy framed Taurus 1911. I actually really liked that gun, especially for the bargain that I picked it up for... not to mention it's lighter weight (32oz). Although I like the look of the Taurus, the stainless SR1911 just looks good! The Ruger has a smooth front strap... something that I suspect will feel a bit more comfortable than the Taurus, although I'm not sure how it'll affect grip with sweaty hands. The only thing that I found sub par on the Ruger thus far is the Trigger. It squeezes nicely but it does have a bit of slop in all directions... I can grab it and wiggle it around a little bit. We'll see how it goes in actual use. Well, here's a very bad pic of it. The grips are actually much more red than what showed up in the picture. The reddish grips against the stainless really caught my eye. Reports I've heard seem to indicate they shoot as good as they look. We'll see....
SR1911.jpg

Congrats. I never shot one but I handled a few. Nice guns

Nice gun? I saw pics of your Kimber on another thread... that's a nice gun! I'm not quite ready for a Kimber yet. I could probably do a Custom II, but the aesthetics of it don't do a whole lot for me... which doesn't say much... I also want a Chiappa Rhino... Likely towards the top of the list of all time ugliest handuns! :grin:

Nice looking pistola.....

Sweaty hand concern is simple..... Pachmyer wrap around grips works great and you save your lovely wood grips from getting dinged up.

Trigger......hhhmm.... fixable.

now we need a range report on it!!!

Those Ruger 1911's do look good. I'd like to give one a try.

Just about the time I think the 1911 market is saturated, someone else introduces another version! Love it...

Mortis":2yjum9du said:
Nice looking pistola.....

Sweaty hand concern is simple..... Pachmyer wrap around grips works great and you save your lovely wood grips from getting dinged up.

Trigger......hhhmm.... fixable.

now we need a range report on it!!!
I've never cared much for anything but the normal grips on a 1911. I do have a spare set that I can probably toss on to save the original set. Something I didn't give a whole lot of thought to until you mentioned that, so thank you!

The trigger... I'm hoping it won't bother me

Range report... can't wait to provide one!

Guy Miner":2jttmu28 said:
Those Ruger 1911's do look good. I'd like to give one a try.

Just about the time I think the 1911 market is saturated, someone else introduces another version! Love it...
My sentiments exactly! If we only had one maker of 1911s, we'd have nothing to discuss, bicker, or argue about! I am rather fond of Ruger, in general, and was glad to see them enter market. Now if they'd give us a pump and/or semiauto shotgun, all would be right with the world.

Congratulations on the SR1911. Looks great.
Looking forward to the range report.

JD338

G'Day Fella's,

MMM, nice looking 1911, well done!

How do they shoot?
Anyone had any range experience with them, especially in a Ransom Rest?

Doh!
Homer

What a slacker I am! I was supposes to be offering up a range report. Well, my range reports usually suck! I'm a rather informal shooter... especially with handguns, but here's what I can offer so far. The trigger... believe it or not, it took so long to get it out to shoot (just did so about a week and half ago) that I forgot about the sloppy trigger and never even noticed it while shooting. I also did not notice the lacking of front strap checkering but it was also on the chilly side, so sweaty hands were an issue that never showed up. I had set up some clays on the ground at 5-7 yards and was hitting immediately. Then I started aiming for some clays set up at about 65 yards for rifle plinking and used the hood of my truck for a rest. Aside from obviously hitting a bit low, it was surprisingly accurate, easily surpassing my abilities. I was shooting some loads of cast 230gr RN being pushed by 6gr of Universal. Only issue I had was a failure to feed which, judging by the boogered appearance of the round, was definitely my fault and should never have made it into into the ammo box in the first place.

Guy Miner":3h375f5f said:
Sounds good. So you endorse Ruger's version of the 1911? :grin:
I'm always cautious on that front! I'd say if you're picking it up for a deal, heck yeah! Full price... well that's almost foul language to me! It does seem to be well built like most other Rugers. In the world of 1911s, I'm sure it can still use some work to get it up to snuff for the more discerning 1911 types, but what can I say... Its a 1911. It's a Ruger. It was $589. For me, it's a winner!

Looks like a solid pistol Robert. Can't imagine a little tuning and such wouldn't have it being ultra reliable...

Knowing you penchant for penuriousness, Robert, I am surprised that you bought the Ruger. You must have gotten a really good price? It sounds pretty good so far. There are literally hundreds of aftermarket triggers for 1911's.

Charlie, NIB the shop had it tagged for $589. They gave me pretty much what I paid for my Taurus aluminum alloy 1911 in trade. Pretty easy decision for me. I can open the wallet by minutely small amounts at times :grin:

I can understand, Robert, we are on a Zero Tolerance for spending at the moment. This does not inlude my collectables such as guns, coins,..... Until we can sell our lot in Oregon, it wll be pretty tight. Slow going on that as well.

Back