Looking into a 45 for CC

ajvigs

Handloader
Nov 1, 2012
I love the 45, and I am starting to look for a CC .45. Suggestions? I always have liked 1911's if that helps

ajvigs":1uj6iixz said:
I love the 45, and I am starting to look for a CC .45. Suggestions? I always have liked 1911's if that helps

Kimber compacts are pretty danged nice and still a solidly built 1911. There is always a Glock for a little lighter weight too.

SJB- Glock I am touchy about. I chose the XDM over the Glock, and the Kimbers are attractive but I hear it's a hit and a miss with them. Any other 1911's worth a look into?

I'm looking real hard at the Sig 1911's.....

I've retired my Remington-Rand and would like another 1911.

I have 3 Sigs now and looking at another (P229)....... but like the solid performance in a Sig and figure they put that same quality in the 1911.

Just my $.03 cents worth.......keep the change..... :)

I have 1 semi (.380) and (4) revolver carry guns. The most powerful one is .40 S&W. I carry all (5) at various times, including an (8) shot, .22LR S&W kit gun which only weighs 10.8 ounces. The .40 S&W weighs 20 ounces. All of them are either 2 or 3 inch barrels.

My .45 Colt CC revolver is a SAA, 4-1/2 inch.

I have a Kimber Tactical Pro II 45 ACP.
It just feels right when I grip it to shoot.
KimberTacticalProII45ACP-1.jpg

JD338

I'll preface this by saying that I am a huge fan of JMS and as such am a big fan of his designs, the 1911 most of all. I am just not sold on the little compact 1911esque pistols yet. I like the Para Hawg, but for a dependable CC piece... I don't know. I'm still leary... and that goes for pretty much all of the miniature 1911s.

Like Scotty, I'd also first look to a Glock. I've been an XD guy for a few years now, but I got my first Glock within the last year, a 27, and I am now fine either way. I had an XD Subcompact, and quite frankly, I like the 27 a whole lot more for CC. The XD was just too... well, too much like a full size XD. Not that the Glock isn't, but it was simply slimmer overall. All that said, that is about as big of a gun as I currently carry CC... most of the time it something smaller and slimmer. My current picks for a CC 45 would still be from Glock or Springfield. The G36 http://us.glock.com/products/model/g36 is one I like, but for this one, I may actually give the nod back to Springfield over the Glock with the XDs http://xdspistol.com/ I'm really wanting to get one of those added to the collection.

I'm a believer in the doctrine that the simpler a sidearm is to operate, the better it is for CC.

I love the 1911 and believe it's the greatest pistol design ever conceived, but I also believe that if one chooses to carry one then it is imperative that one practice with it intensively on an ongoing basis. I've been shooting pistols for over 40 years and am more competent than most but I'll be the first to recognize my limitations. If I concentrated on the 1911, I'd have no reservations about carrying one but I don't, and I don't (often). Under a stress situation, I might forget entirely to disengage the safety and I think those of us who shoot a wide variety of handguns probably should be ready to recognize and admit that.

When I carry, I carry something that requires only that I remember to pull the trigger. I think the vast majority of folks should choose sidearms that operate thusly. The time you need your weapon to fire the most happens to be the time you're most likely to forget to operate a lever or a button.

If I ever decide I want to carry a 1911, I'll make it a point to make sure I've practiced intensively enough to know I'll operate the weapon instinctively and without failure or omission. Until then, it's going to be an XD or some other pistol that requires minimal deliberate thought.

Good stuff here. I like the Kimber. This is a photo of my Kimber, which I've been carrying since the first year they were produced, 15 years ago, and my sons. Any trouble telling which one is mine? :grin: Mine has not lived easy. 15 years of law enforcement use, daily carry. Firearm Instructor schools and use. Years of SWAT duty. It's killed a few deer. No men thank God, although it's been mighty close a couple of times. I truly don't know how many thousands of rounds it's been through. Not unusual for me to do 300 - 500 round days, a couple of times a month, for the past 20 years or so. I shoot other stuff, but yeah, I'm pretty much a 1911 nut case. Don't own a lot of 'em. Just shoot one a lot.

IMG_5802.jpg

Regards, Guy

JD338":2fjxp4m2 said:
I have a Kimber Tactical Pro II 45 ACP.
It just feels right when I grip it to shoot.
KimberTacticalProII45ACP-1.jpg

JD338

YUP :mrgreen:

Thanks for all the helpful insight everyone. After looking around, I have narrowed my choices down to three choices:

Glock 30S (I can get this the cheapest of all 3 as they offer the LEO/Military pricing)
Springfield XDM Compact 45 ACP (I already have an XDM 9mm I carry for duty)
Sig p220 Carry Elite Dark

I will have to find all three and see which one feels the best in my hands.

You can't go wrong with any of your final contestants. Find one that fits your hand the best and then decide if you like its manual of arms. Since you already carry the XD it may be a wise choice. I prefer single stack Sigs but that's me.

Back