Colt Gold cup National match

big rifle man

Handloader
Dec 21, 2005
Well guys, After a lot of inactivity with my wallet I went to my local gunshop this past Saturday to "look" at a target style .45 auto that I could use for our local bowling pin matches that are coming up. I am also retiring for the third and last time in my life and thought I would get myself a "present". :lol: There were a number of .45's available but my eye kept going back to a National match that was begging for a home although my wallet was looking for a place to hide. Long story short it went home with me. Does anyone have experience with this particular model? The sights remind me of a set of Bomars I had on an old .45 years ago. I noticed the lands in the barrel are extremely wide, accuracy enhancer? Any thoughts from other users would be appreciated.

You can do a lot worst. They are great guns. Here is my choice. Kimber USA Team match. I can not say anything bad about her.

Attachments

• goldmatchii.jpg
    goldmatchii.jpg
    93.4 KB · Views: 1,500
They are nice guns but it depends on whether it's a 70s series or an 80s series. The 80 series has a saftey action bar in it that makes it harder to get a good trigger pull and keep it set. The sight is basiclly the same same as a Bomar. You might want to look at a Springfield Armory they make a nice range ready introductory model that will perform with the colt at less money. I have 1911s chambered for 45acp, 38 super, 38spl wad cutter and .22Lr. All are 70 series and all are customized but only 1 colt. :)

Thanks fotis, truck driver. I tried the trigger before I purchased it and it seemed very crisp with no other issues. This particular unit is a MK 4 and when breaking it down to get the storage oils off it looked basically the same internally as my kimber procarry. I'm going to take it out for a test run this week so I'll fill you in on how it goes.

Just got back from the range and I can tell you I am pleased with my purchase. First off, Fotis, my hunting buddy has the same Kimber as yours. He's put roughly 6000 rounds through it and other than changing springs it's running great. He does a lot of match shooting and swears by Kimber. In regards to my results, I put roughly 100 Rounds of Handloads through the colt without a FTF or a FTE. The trigger is excellent and after sighting it in at 25 yards I shot ten at 15 yards and ended up with one large ragged hole. I then shot at 25 yards and put ten in a roughly 2 1/2 group. All shooting was off Sandbags two hand hold. I then tried a couple of different scenarios and couldn't get the gun to malfunction in any way. The sights are excellent and easy to work with. I'm looking forward to some competition at this point in time.

Sounds good Big just do your self a favor and don't use 230gr round nose on bowling pins. They richoet badly. I've been hit in the leg by one that came straight back and got a big bruise from it.

Back