Just could not stop myself

HOGWILD338-378

Handloader
Aug 22, 2012
been looking at a Sako 85 in 9.3x62 and after about the 5th time looking at it i asked the guy after he set the rifle back in the rack did he have a Model 29 S&W and he said yes but it's blued and comes with the wooden box with the felt blue lining and i said please let me look at it which was a huge mistake as now i own a Model 29 44 Mag in a 6.5 inch barrel jus like the one below and i hear they are a hoot to shoot :grin:

And you still need a 9.3X62. However, I can't say that I blame you. :grin: That looks like a mighty sweet revolver.

I need a new safe :oops: this one is popping at the seams :roll:
Thank's Mike, it is 1 pretty pistol and i told him when he got it in Nickel to call me so i could come get it also! :lol:

That is a mighty nice revolver... I'm a big fan of the 29 & 629 Smiths... Beautiful, and they shoot well.

Thank's Guy I was checking out your 3 new pistols and I know that was a fun range trip you scored big time!!
I have a friend that showed me 12 ea 1 Dozen War Era 1911's and they were all mint as he cleans pistols for a local dealer that buys Estate Firearms all the time and he even got part of Robert Stacks collection!! He even had one that was a 1 of a kind made in 22 caliber! I was amazed at his collection as some of them had like 3200.00 price tags still hanging on them!! My 29 has a sweet trigger and I will check the let off weight in a couple days! I traded a Lb of IMR8208XBR for a set of Lee 44mag/special dies :) just need a range trip for some once fired brass!

Terry

Nice catch! The S&W 29/629 are shooters.
I have a 629 Classic and I use it to hunt WT out back.

JD338

Congrats Hogwild.

I too would be unable to contain myself if presented with such a beauty. That's why the wife won't let me have a credit card in my possession. :grin:

Using your credit card keeps your credit score above 800 so just get a good 1 with a 6.5 % rate and pay on,it twice a month and it's all good :) JD & Vince I now have a self defense revolver / hunter and it will be a lot more fun than my wife's SP101 38+P and my first Revolver actually! I do like all the 29/629 line of Revolvers and mine came with a Plastic case and a Fancy Wooden one? Think I will just order a S&W Holster from their website, not sure if I,want a Bandolier style or,just a plain style ?

Do you handload for the .44 mag yet?

I've been loading for the .44 mag for about 25 - 30 years and have long since settled on a few basic loads. Some of which are very pleasant to shoot. Others, not so much, but good loads.

Guy

No brass yet but I do have 150 PMC Brass 180 gr factory loads that I found for 34.00 a box and 100 Fiocchi 240 Gr SP that I found for 32.00 a box I hope some of this brass can be used! Only picked up a die set but any info on loads u would like to share I am all ears :) I have a RCBS Rock Chuker and a Redding T7 Turret that would probably work the best probably as it has 7 stations on it !! Need to find powder and primers ! Info would be greatly appreciated Guy :) Thanks Terry

As popular as the .44 mag is, I figured we'd have more bullet/load info here on the forum, but there is some interesting stuff here.

Link: viewforum.php?f=61

My favorite loads over the years are:

1. Easy plinker: 9.0 Unique, 240 or 250 gr cast lead bullet at about 1,000 fps. That's still more powerful than a .45 ACP standard load, but it's real easy shooting out of a .44 mag revolver. I shoot many times more of these from my .44's than anything else. Inexpensive, easy to shoot, reasonably accurate and they'd do fine as a modest range hunting load I think.

2. Standard hunting load: 22 gr H110 and a 240 gr JHP. I've used several different bullets with this load, and varied it from 22 - 24 grains. Do not under-charge this load! H110 likes to be run up near max and it's actually dangerous to try to run it as a reduced charge. Figure on at least 1300 fps with a typical 240 gr JHP bullet. Brisk recoil & accurate.

3. Heavy hunting load: 300 gr bullet & 20 - 22 gr H110. About 1150 - 1200 fps depending. Good accuracy, and an awful lot of power on tap.

Those three, with minor variations, have served me well. I haven't shot any great number of deer with a handgun, but the 240 gr JHP does a fine job. Someday I'll crack a bear with one, and I hope I'm carrying good heavy bullets when I do.

The 250 - 300 gr hard cast bullets with flat meplats are terrific in the .44 mag too - I just haven't shot any game myself with such a bullet. Well, some small game, but no deer or larger. Penetration is incredible with the heavier cast lead bullets.

H110 and W296 are the same powder, so if you find one, you're good to go.

2400 is another good powder for the .44 mag, as is AA#9.

Usually I just use CCI standard large pistol primers for the Unique loads, and CCI magnum pistol primers for the H110 loads.

Enjoy! Guy

Great stuff Guy !! That was the first powder on my list to buy H110 :) picked up 150 more rounds today for some once shot brass as I am finding PMC for 33.16 a box of 50 so I now have around 450 so I will try to stop buying factory stuff now and work on some of your recipes :) Thanks!! been setting here trying the trigger and it is very sweet and DA it is really nice but I will work on SA/DA pulls as I have some snap caps to play with now!! Later Terry

Back