44 mag recommendation?

ajvigs

Handloader
Nov 1, 2012
If one was to possibly be thinking of a 44 mag in a revolver for hunting\as backup for a rifle, what would be a solid one to look at?

I have owned three: (2) Model 29, S&W's and a Super Blackhawk Ruger. For hunting, preferred the Super Blackhawk with 7-1/2 inch barrel. This firearm allowed me to push my loads to loading manual max. or close to it and get great accuracy at up to 100 yards. However, I shot the Model 29 as Single action most of the time and with the 6 inch barrel, there is not much difference up against the Blackhawk. Choose the one that you like.

I have a Ruger Super Blackhawk SS 44 mag with the 4 5/8" barrel - its a very handy and strong single action revolver - i use Horn 300 gr bullets loaded to 1350 fps ! It will back you up ! :grin:

Cheers RJ

I've had both the S&W and the Ruger Super Blackhawk. The S&W fit my hand better. I can shoot it a lot without discomfort, which wasn't the case with the Ruger, for me.

I do truly like the Ruger with that rugged, simple design, but I go with the Smith & Wesson because the design fits my hand better. They're both good, strong revolvers and accurate too.

Have little experience with the Redhawk, but that's another possibility. It is regarded as an exceptionally strong revolver.

Guy

SW 629 5-6" barrel.
Back up would be 5", hunting would be 6".

JD338

I also have a Super Black Hawk with the 7.5 " barrel but its not near as handy as the 4 5/8 " is for Backup ! :grin: RJ

My all time favorite .44 Magnum was the Ruger 5-shot semi auto rifle that they made in the 1960's. I had one for several years and it was my favorite camp gun for carrying around when I was doing chores or something that was not really hunting. I also carried in the trunk when I had to drive to Cadillac, Quebec from Toronto many times. I killed a bunch of ground hogs with that gun.

Charlie, I still have one of those babies. I bought it back in the late 70's and put a 1.5X4 Nikon scope on it with weaver mounts. It's taken its fair share of Maine Deer. A very pleasant gun to shoot and very popular down here in Florida for pig hunting. I take it to the range occasionally and people always want to know what I'm shooting and is it for sale. Don't ever see them for sale at gun shows. Anyone who has one doesn't want to part with it.

I have not seen one for sale in the US gun shows either since the 1970's. I think that you are right. Those who have them are hanging on for dear life!

Rem Jim":18jyj6er said:
I also have a Super Black Hawk with the 7.5 " barrel but its not near as handy as the 4 5/8 " is for Backup ! :grin: RJ

Same here. I have the 5.5" and the 7.5" Blackhawks in 44 mag. Both are great shooters but the shorter is much more pack able.

P1000520.JPG

Top one is my 44 mag lower one is my 22/22mag combo :grin: RJ

edebabuz.jpg

A family of Rugers, the Super Blackhawk as well as either 357 mag is my back-up woods gun.

I have a Hogue grip for the Super Blackhawk during hunting season!
Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk 2

SW 629 This is my Talo.

Attachments

• pix928513663.jpg
    pix928513663.jpg
    158.7 KB · Views: 6,341
Shes a BEAUTY ! i have had a few M29 s the KOOLEST one i ever had was the M29 Silhouette Model with the 10" barrel and the ajustable front sight on it ! :grin:

Cheers :) RJ

I used to carry a .357 as a backup until cat tracks I saw started getting WAY bigger.

I thought the Redhawk 4 inch would be a great back up piece and when I finally found one, traded my 41 Mag Blackhawk to get it. I haven't been sorry. It carries well, is very accurate with factory or handloaded ammo and balances well in my hand. I kept the factory Hogue rubber grips on mine cuz I like rubber grips on heavy recoiling guns and these fit me fine.

Wish I'd done it sooner.

Ron

Doesn't anybody shoot the .45 Colt anymore? I have a 357, 7-1/2 .357 Mag Ruger Bisley for hunting small to medium varmits, then a Colt .45 USFA Bisley for protection and hunting bear, lion and game stealers, plus I have a .45 USFA Rodeo. for aforementioned tasks. It is easy with LilGun or TiteGroup to get over 1000 fps , if need be, and the 250 gr, .45 Colt at that velocity doesn't kick much and will knock nearly any thing down.

th_70160.jpg

The 45 Colt is a great cartridge BUT this thread -post is about the 44 Rem mag - start your own on 45 Colts ! :grin: Kiddin ya - But ! :lol:

Cheers :) RJ

RJ, I guess I just miss having a .44 mag anymore but with (8) handguns, there is a limit as to what you can own caliber-wise!

Back