S&W Model 19, an old favorite returns!

Guy Miner

Master Loader
Apr 6, 2006
Long ago I thought the .357 magnum Model 19, particularly with the 2.5" barrel was about the coolest handgun ever. Eventually I bought one, hard used, and used it even harder. It was my outdoors companion. Easily carried on my belt while I prowled the Cascades hiking, hunting, fishing, skiing or on my mountain bike. Felt well armed while I was carrying it.

Returning home from the range one day I found the entire rear sight assembly was missing! :shock: Not in the range bag. Not in the truck. Went back to the range where I'd been shooting it, and no rear sight to be found. Apparently it worked loose and fell off at some unknown point. Dang. I shelved the well-worn, but still cool revolver for a while. Called my old friend Scott King, a local gunsmith and he mentioned that he had some used sights, and one might be found that would work. This morning at his shop, we combed through the old sights, found one that fit, and OUTSTANDING! My old .357 is back in action!

I asked him about re-bluing the old revolver and he had two cautions. The first was that he couldn't match the original S&W blue, that it just wouldn't be as good as new, and the other was that it would cost about $250... We left it at a simple sight replacement. The Model 19 is just going to have to get along without a re-blue for now.

Doggone I'm glad I've got my old revolver back in action! :grin:

Guy

She's an old beater, but doggone I like the way she carries and shoots Scotty!

You might be surprised how many west coast Marines had one of those tucked away in the 1980's. Somehow there was always ammo for them, though we were supposed to be carrying .45's and later 9mm pistols.

Guy

Wow what a pistol! Bill Jordan's favorite correct?

I had a Model 19 2-1/2 inch carry gun for hunting and fishing which I carried for years. Mine was nickel plated and I babied it. It looked nearly new, except for some powder burns on the top strap and cylinder throats, when I sold it. I really liked that revolver!

FOTIS":17c55g5c said:
Wow what a pistol! Bill Jordan's favorite correct?

Yes, Bill Jordan had a big hand in that revolver. Pun intended. :grin:

I understand that he had massive paws! And yeah, he apparently had some input on the design and thought it was one heck of a gun. I tend to agree. Though my hands are smaller & slower than legendary Bill Jordan's.

Guy

Guy, I carried a 4" on duty for many years prior to the semi auto changeover. S&W did a trigger job for me (worked one hour from the plant) and other than a change in stocks the gun was a perfect fit. S&W outdid themselves on this one.

I have wanted a 357 Magnum revolver for a long time. Probably something 4" or so but something similar in size. I think it would be a sweet packing pistol and usually they are very accurate too.

Glad you were able to get it fixed up Guy. Those old partners are even more fun when you can shoot them again!

I saw Mr. Bill Jordan back in the 70's when he was on the NRA membership circuit. He was sponsored by the Americus Ga. gun club and his show was in a gymnasium. For the demo's he used a heavy barrel model 10 with the hammer spur ground off. Shooting wax bullets fastdraw at targets as small as an aspirin the man was simply amazing. I would not want that man shooting at me!
I was a young man and that show so impressed me it's still clear in my mind today. That night I joined the NRA for the first time.
At the time I carried a Model 10 HB as a prison guard on the Macon County, Ga. chain gang. I also had a Model 28 but they wouldn't let me carry a .357 only a .38 special. I carried the Model 10 loaded with Super Vel HP's if anybody remembers those.
Always liked and still do, the .357 mag. it is much easier and pleasant to shoot than the .44 mag.
I still carry a S&W but not a revolver, a M&PC in .40 S&W, runs everything, everytime. I trust my life with it.

Guy, I have one of these revolvers in my collection a home. I know it may sound weird, but for some reason the 2 1/2 version always seemed to have a "No BS" look to it and more intimidating than the 4 inchers in my eyes.

I'm pretty sure I'm the only guy on my department carrying a revolver as a back up, a Ruger SP-101.

Ron

Interesting. I often carried a revolver for a backup gun, under my uniform. Still popular here.

On a plainclothes assignment, I made a couple of arrests with that 2.5" S&W. Woke one convicted felon, serious bad guy up bright and early in the morning. He was sleeping soundly until we announced ourselves, and were already in his bedroom by that point! :grin:

I suspect the .357 muzzle did look pretty intimidating upon waking up and finding three cops in his bedroom! Though usually I carried a .45 1911, and that's got to win for an intimidating muzzle...

Guy Miner":2luxb275 said:
I suspect the .357 muzzle did look pretty intimidating upon waking up and finding three cops in his bedroom! Though usually I carried a .45 1911, and that's got to win for an intimidating muzzle...

Oh yeah, without a doubt. I am pretty sure it is an international language.

Colonel Coates was asked back when we formed Detachment One, what languages his Marines spoke. Without even thinking, he said 5.56 and .45! Gotta love the testicular fortitude of the guy!

BTW, earlier this afternoon a new shooter fell hopelessly in love with shooting .38's through that Model 19. First at 7 yards using a paper plate for a target. That was too mundane, so we moved back to 15 & 20 yards and used my steel target. Shot after shot rang steel! She's hooked and I think I see a S&W revolver in her future.

Once she sells her Glock! :twisted:

Guy

Guy Miner":wpkwd86q said:
BTW, earlier this afternoon a new shooter fell hopelessly in love with shooting .38's through that Model 19. First at 7 yards using a paper plate for a target. That was too mundane, so we moved back to 15 & 20 yards and used my steel target. Shot after shot rang steel! She's hooked and I think I see a S&W revolver in her future.

Once she sells her Glock! :twisted:

Guy

She could do a whole lot worse.

Interesting in this day of rapidly increasing technology how some things are simply timeless. The model 19; colt python; .30-06 and .45-70; and of course the 1911.

Nice to see you've been re-acquainted with your old friend. Looks like you've shared some good times together.

I have wanted a Model 19 for as long as I can remember. This past summer I was able to get my hands on a NIB Model 19-3 with a 4" barrel. The long wait was worth it. It has replaced my Sig P-220 in my night stand. To me, that's saying a lot cause I love that Sig.

BC1872F9-A326-4D33-AC02-22D119A9A16C_zpsh8hujpkw-1.jpg

Back