Motherload

Vince

Handloader
May 26, 2012
I hit the motherload today.
This is the Model 58 I've been wanting for what seems like eons.
My buddy gave me a few boxes of his handloads and a box of the old Remington Police load. The price on the box of bullets is a whopping $6.16 per fifty.[emoji2]
The trigger is smooth, some holster wear, and wood stocks along with the Pachmayr's.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1417212323336.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1417212323336.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 3,692
Here's another picture.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1417215765504.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1417215765504.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 3,686
I date this revolver from late 1964 to early 1965.

Yes, pinned.
Three and one screw in the grip frame.

323f4eb2a96098c91d0d099008cd847c.jpg

I put the wooden combat stocks and a T Grip on it as I think it's more traditional.

Little more research and I've learned this was a personally owned duty weapon by a local cop back when they had some latitude on what they carried. :)

Since I'm planning on using this as a bear country back up gun I'm thinking of getting it ceracoated. What do you all think?

Ceracoated would take care of rust issues if you are carry every day. Plus it would spiff the old gun right up, looks wise.

The older 3 screw S&W were very sought after. The screw in the frame maintains spring tension. Never loosen that screw to lighten the trigger pull. In the hands a good pistol smith who knows his way around a S&W revolver the action and trigger can be made butter smooth and the trigger light and crisp. Learn to shoot it as a double action only if you plan on carrying it so you don't get any surprise discharges under stress. :mrgreen:

truck driver":18sxxnyr said:
The older 3 screw S&W were very sought after. The screw in the frame maintains spring tension. Never loosen that screw to lighten the trigger pull. In the hands a good pistol smith who knows his way around a S&W revolver the action and trigger can be made butter smooth and the trigger light and crisp. Learn to shoot it as a double action only if you plan on carrying it so you don't get any surprise discharges under stress. :mrgreen:
Thanks truck driver.
I started life on a Model 28 and actually prefer resolvers to bottom feeders. The action on this one had either had someone inside the gun that knew what they were doing or is been shot in well. My Andy Canon tuned 686 isn't as nice and he was a heck of a gun bender.

That is a really nice gun, a bit jealous on this side of the border :) Congrats on finding one.

gerry":3p1c5z78 said:
That is a really nice gun, a bit jealous on this side of the border :) Congrats on finding one.
Thank you sir.
I'm like a kid on Christmas day. [emoji2]

Reminds me of my well-worn .357 mag, Model 19. I like your .41 mag! Very simple & rugged with plenty of punch!

Guy Miner":1wxdtc6r said:
Reminds me of my well-worn .357 mag, Model 19. I like your .41 mag! Very simple & rugged with plenty of punch!
Thank you Guy.
I've always been attracted to simple and rugged. I guess that's why I like the simple model 10 and 13. This is a model 10 on steroids.
What's your thoughts on getting it Cerakoted? I realize it would ruin any collector value but this is a shooter not a collector. I don't always intend to be in a dry desert environment and rusty is a concern.
Knowing that you are in a more humid environment and understand what carry guns go through in that environment what say you sir?

Vince

Vince - Sorry to disappoint you - none of my firearms have any kind of special rust-resistant coating.

My hard-use .308 Win "Green Machine" gets a fresh coat of Krylon spray paint on the action & barrel now and again when it starts looking too nasty & worn.

The .45 Kimber, which has been carried nearly daily for 17 years, just gets more and more worn, with lots of bare metal showing anymore. I just clean it and lube it lightly.

Have noticed that the factory finish on Glocks wears very, very well. The officers who carry them day after day don't pay all that much attention to gun care, and the doggone things NEVER rust and are very wear resistant. I'm not sure what that factory finish is that Glock uses, but it works.

Not all that humid where I live anyway, we only get about 8" of rain annually. Pretty much a high desert environment, as opposed to Seattle, which sees about 36" annually, and the Olympic National Park here in Washington, which sees a whopping 150" annually!

Guy

In further research I find I may have a first production run revolver.
While it's a shooter I may just leave it alone.

Back