Ruger LC9s

Guy Miner

Master Loader
Apr 6, 2006
What a pleasant surprise this little pistol turned out to be, and PERFECT for those who have small or weak hands.

As a firearms instructor, I've run into a surprising number of women, usually older, who literally cannot pull the trigger on a common double-action revolver, due to a lack of hand strength. Nor can they readily handle the trigger on a common double-action semi-auto. I've been working with one woman who had a devil of a time even cocking a double-action Smith & Wesson revolver, let alone pulling the trigger all the way through and firing the gun. She tried the 9mm Ruger LC9 instead, a compact semi-auto. She did better with it, but still had trouble pulling the trigger all the way through and making it fire.

Of course I had her work with hand-strengthening exercises, but it was still a problem.

Then I learned of the new version of the LC9, the LC9s, a "striker fired" version of the same pistol, with a remarkably light, easy trigger pull.

Link: http://www.ruger.com/products/lc9s/models.html

Her first 7 shots with that gun were clustered in a nice, tight group! Accuracy has never been a problem for her, just getting the doggone things to shoot. Well, that's not a problem anymore!

Just for info - in case you've got someone in your life who has trouble shooting a pistol, due to hand strength.

Regards, Guy

That looks quite interesting. Thinking I'll forward the link to my daughter. Thank you, Guy. First hand intel that comes from a trusted source can go a long way in helping make a decision.

One thing I've found to help those that have trouble racking the slide is to put skateboard tape on the top of the slide.
Then, to rack the slide, pointing the muzzle down in a safe direction, push the top of the slide against the pant leg. Pushing is an easier motion than pulling.
Just a thought.

Vince

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

Even with her weak hands, she has absolutely NO trouble racking the slide on either the conventional LC9, or the new LC9s.

She had considerable trouble pulling the trigger on either the S&W .38 revolver or the trigger on the conventional LC9.

I'm not sure I like that racking the slide on the trousers... In an emergency, otherwise... Why not just use two hands? I teach folks to use their big back & shoulder muscles if they have any trouble pulling the slide back (and also to push forward on the gun, as you suggest).

Regards, Guy

Guy Miner":362fah3n said:
Even with her weak hands, she has absolutely NO trouble racking the slide on either the conventional LC9, or the new LC9s.

She had considerable trouble pulling the trigger on either the S&W .38 revolver or the trigger on the conventional LC9.

I'm not sure I like that racking the slide on the trousers... In an emergency, otherwise... Why not just use two hands? I teach folks to use their big back & shoulder muscles if they have any trouble pulling the slide back (and also to push forward on the gun, as you suggest).

Regards, Guy
I agree that using the pant leg is not optimal.
It was the only solution for an elderly lady I taught once and we made it work. Not the usual but I had to think out of the box on this one.

Vince

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

Back