BFR

375hh1973

Beginner
Mar 31, 2007
Anyone have any experience with BFR. I am considering ordering one. Looking for a good woods gun, hand cannon, make noise at the range. Am looking at 5.5" .500 jrh.

The BFR is definitely what it's acronym denotes. 500 jrh is a little too odd ball for me. If I was in the market it would be in 460 s&w since you can fire both 45 LC and 454 Casull in it.

Yeah thats why I am only interested in the shorter cylinder calibers. The 45/70, 30/30, 500 s&w, 460 s&w, etc are just awkward to me. I like the 500jrh and would also consider 475 linebaugh although would have to special order the 475 to get a 5.5" barrel.

I worked with a man who got himself a 475 linebaugh BFR. He brought it to the pistol range one Saturday and I walked over to watch him shoot the pistol.

There is no doubt in my mind the man had no idea what he got himself into, after shooting two factory rounds, he put the pistol away and had the nerve to ask me if I would like to buy it the next Monday morning at work.

No thanks.

Whats nice about the 475 is that you can also shoot 480 ruger in it. Like a 357 will shoot 38s. So you have the option of crazy hot 475 or milder 480. Gotta love hand cannons!

Friend of mine has one in .45/70, he doesn't shoot it much.

Less often than I shoot my .500 S&W revolver - which is about 3-4 times a year, for 20 rounds or less each time.

The big ol "hand cannons" are cool, but I question how useful they really are. I'd MUCH rather go shoot my .44 mag than my .500 S&W... Could explain why I've taken a couple of doe with the .44 and have never even taken the .500 afield in 13 years of ownership... It's just a range toy for me.

Guy

interestingly enough I enjoy shooting my 30.06 Competitor arms pistol. I purchased it many years ago with the intent of taking it deer hunting and possibly some larger game. It's got a nice muzzle brake which really mutes the recoil but the noise is ungodly. It is deadly accurate with 165 grain partitions and has accounted for 5 nice whitetails. In regards to the noise factor I wear electronic muffs which enable me to hear better but blot out a large amount of blast. It gets a lot of looks and "can I fire it" requests at our local range.

JD338":3mc0qrgz said:
Sounds like a handful!

JD338

I can attest to that, I've held one and did not need to fire it to come to the same conclusion. The freekin cylinder is as big as a frozen orange juice can!

I traded into one this spring and it can be a handful! But as a cast bullet nut I find a 395grWFN and starting loads do just fine and IF I ever need more power will up the load. Few weeks ago the wife and I took her brother and kid to the range. She grabbed it and said she wanted to shoot it. After I warned her it was more gun then the 44mag and she still wanted to shoot. She shoot it 5time and hit the plate 5times. Now she says it,s just one big step up from the 44mag. Forgot to say it,s a 475L

Back