Need a 9mm Handgun what to buy ?

1100 Remington Man

Handloader
May 1, 2007
I am looking at three, 9mm Pistols and all a little different.
Glock 19, never had or shot one but have read good reviews.
Kimber 1911 Stanless Pro Carry in 9mm with 4 inch barrel why I'm a ExMarine & use to a 1911 & have a .45 Colt Goverment Model I carried in the Marine's.
Kahr CW9 why it is small and light and my Best Friend swears by it for his primary CCW.
I'm 6'2 and 235lbs+ I would like it for a CCW.
What would you choose and Why ? I do not live by a range where I can test fire them before buying. Cost is not a factor in my decision. Safety in carrying is a factor. Thanks

Take a look at the Springfield EMP. It is a 1911 compact and a sweet shooter.
My girlfriend just bought one and she is very happy with it.

JD338

1100 Remington Man":gimxehsv said:
I am looking at three, 9mm Pistols and all a little different.
Glock 19, never had or shot one but have read good reviews.
Kimber 1911 Stanless Pro Carry in 9mm with 4 inch barrel why I'm a ExMarine & use to a 1911 & have a .45 Colt Goverment Model I carried in the Marine's.
Kahr CW9 why it is small and light and my Best Friend swears by it for his primary CCW.
I'm 6'2 and 235lbs+ I would like it for a CCW.
What would you choose and Why ? I do not live buy a range where I can test fire them before buying. Cost is not a factor in my decision. Safety in carrying is a factor. Thanks
Glock 19, well known, reliable, easy enough to hide if you dress around the gun.
Is a favorite of law enforcement for on /off duty carry as it's not as large as the full size model 17 but yet still big enough for duty use.
Kimber, I'm a believer that the 1911 functions best as a .45 acp no matter what other chamberings it comes in.
Kahr, the most concealable. Great DAO trigger. Not a duty size handgun and likely not what you want to take to the range for a day of plinking.

I know I've not told you what to buy but that's because it's your choice. I'm just giving you some of the pros and cons of each handgun from my perspective.

Vince

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

There are two kinds of handguns. 1911s and all the rest. I'm not a 1911 snob but...
The Kimber is awesome, I have the ultra carry ss in 9mm and love it. JDs suggestion is a very good one, the EMP is a fantastic pistol built from the ground up around the 9mm. Smaller and slimmer but still 1911 through and through, JMB would be proud of what Springfield did. It will likely be my next 1911. My only complaint is mags are EMP specific.
Not everyone can CC a 1911 cocked and locked but if you can there is no more confident a feeling.
Good luck on your choice.

If your looking for a CCW I would consider at most midsize and very possibly smaller. I carry a P938 Sig probably 90% of the time as Florida has mostly a warm climate (although at 36 degrees this past week I switched to my Kimber Pro Carry .45) There are a host of selections. As mentioned buy clothing to fit the purpose. Get some good background information on models that might interest you and handle as many as possible (a gun show is perfect). In many cases grips can be changed to better suit your hands.

I have to say I looked up Springfield EMP 1911 9mm with 4 inch barrel and it looks impressive. I'm going to have to try them for size in my hand and make the plunge. Thanks for all the suggestions.

1100 Remington Man":h0bmlx7l said:
I have to say I looked up Springfield EMP 1911 9mm with 4 inch barrel and it looks impressive. I'm going to have to try them for size in my hand and make the plunge. Thanks for all the suggestions.

The EMP is actually a 3" barrel. It has that 1911 feel and is a smooth shooter. It is quite a bit smaller than my Kimber Tactical Pro II which fits my hand like a glove.

I'll post some pictures this weekend. My daughter is picking up a Ruger LC9s tomorrow and we will be shooting Saturday. Can't wait.

JD338

JD, it's a new 2016 product. Calling it the emp lightweight champion. It's the emp with a 4 inch barrel.

26NosFan":1ebpt5ir said:
JD, it's a new 2016 product. Calling it the emp lightweight champion. It's the emp with a 4 inch barrel.

Thanks for the clarification. I'll have to check it out.

JD338

http://www.sigsauer.com/CatalogProductD ... 290rs.aspx

I recently picked up one of these. It's s great little fun and the extended magazines are great for shooting at the range.

The grip angle works out great for my hands.

d7c4a59ccc462bdcdef876d666ff64c5.jpg

3643216addcbf75eadd15688720eb8a6.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

One last thing I should have mentioned, make sure you spend a few extra bucks for a "gun" belt. Ordinary belts for the most part will roll over on you with the extra weight.

diverdown":8jbp5nr2 said:
One last thing I should have mentioned, make sure you spend a few extra bucks for a "gun" belt. Ordinary belts for the most part will roll over on you with the extra weight.

Good point!
The belt is the most important part of a carry system as it has to carry AND distribute the weight.
I have a couple belts from the belt man. http://www.thebeltman.net/www/htdocs/index.html

JD338

Whitesheep":89xdwdeo said:
What need is the 9mm going to fill?

I have a .45 Colt Goverment Model and looking for something smaller for convince of carry.
I have considered a .380 Auto but don't know if I want to go there yet.

1100 Remington Man":2jdufwas said:
Whitesheep":2jdufwas said:
What need is the 9mm going to fill?

I have a .45 Colt Goverment Model and looking for something smaller for convince of carry.
I have considered a .380 Auto but don't know if I want to go there yet.
If the gun is too large or heavy you risk leaving it at home.

If it were me I'd be looking at single stack 9mm handguns from Glock, Sig, Ruger, and Kahr.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

I've been happy with my S&W Shield. Just a word of caution is it is rather slim so if you have large hands, it may not be the best fit for you.

Here is the Springfield EMP 9mm next to my Kimber Tactical Pro II 45 ACP.
0ff84b25-a895-44ec-87c1-50b0e548a11f.jpg

JD338

Back