Kahr CM9

Guy Miner

Master Loader
Apr 6, 2006
Finding myself in need of a more discrete carry gun, rather than my .45 1911, I recently picked up a surprising little pistol, the Kahr CM9.

I've long admired the Kahr pistols, and have had occasion to shoot them many times over the past 20 years as other officers used them as their backup guns. The 9mm versions never failed to please. I have seen some malfunctions from the .40 cal version, and having shot those, I honestly think it's a little too much cartridge for most of us, in such a compact handgun.

If you're not familiar with Kahr - it's a quality, American made, compact semi-auto. It has a unique trigger pull that might be referred to as "double action only." Very smooth, almost buttery. It is much like shooting a good double action revolver. The only drawback that I note, is that someone accustomed to a shorter trigger pull, may have some trouble with the Kahr in rapid fire.

The CM is an inexpensive model in Kahr's extensive pistol line. I picked mine up, brand new, for $359, though there is a $460 msrp. Budget saving measures include having only one magazine, using a mim slide stop and using plastic sights. If you'd rather upgrade all of those items, then the full-priced version is for you!

The standard magazine holds six rounds. The extra magazine I purchased holds seven rounds, and is long enough that it gives purchase for all my fingers while shooting. With the standard, short mag, I have to curl my little finger under the gun. This is not a problem for me, but might bother some people.

Lightweight, at only 14 ounces, somehow it feels substantial. Loaded up, it's a little heavier. I've been carrying mine in a simple pocket holster. It's comfortable to carry whether cycling, or walking around town. Not a problem.

At the range, I filled the magazines with 124 grain 9mm CCI Blazer Brass ammunition and went to work. The little pistol shot to the point of aim at 20 yards, and I soon found myself making "head shots" at that distance on my 2/3 size steel IPSC style silhouette target! Not bad for a budget priced, compact 9mm!

Kahr suggests a 200 round break-in period. I had NO failures or malfunctions of any kind during the break-in period. Am carrying 124 grain Federal HST ammunition in it, which also functioned with 100% reliability and proved quite accurate.

All in all, it's a great little concealed carry handgun, and well worth consideration.

I'll probably go ahead and buy the all-steel, premium 9mm Kahr someday, but this one does everything I need from such a concealable little pistol.

https://www.kahr.com/Pistols/Kahr-CM9.asp

Regards, Guy

Sounds like as very good purchase Guy. I would definitely agree with the "convenience" of a smaller gun. I still carry my Kimber Pro carry on occasion during the winter months in Florida but I find myself carrying my Sig 938 more and more because of weight and concealment advantages. I carry the 124 grain Gold Dot.

My wife carrys a CT-380 as her daily carry gun. Excellent little pistols. You should check out the ruger ARX ammo. I'm not sure if the 9mm is available yet but the 380 makes for a mild recoil with good terminal performance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fine review, Guy. That certainly sounds like an excellent gun for CC.

Three month update:

Three months and 600+ rounds later, I'm very happy with the little Kahr CM9. It is absolutely a "pocket pistol" meant to be carried discretely. I've had no problem doing just that. This little rascal fits in pockets in many of my trousers, vests & jackets, no problem. Also quite at home in a cheap Uncle Mike's ankle holster I tried.

Please - if you choose to carry in your pocket... Get at least a minimal pocket holster! Something that guards the trigger. And... devote that pocket to the pistol. No car keys. No pocket knives... Just the gun, or gun and pocket holster. We really don't need ANYTHING getting into the trigger guard while a pistol is all snuggled up in our pocket now do we? :shock:

Take down and re-assembly seems to be a bit of a pain. Not that it's complicated, but the parts are small, spring tensions are high, and apparently tolerances are close. There are videos avail to help make the process easier. It's quite simple, just takes a little more effort than I expected. Perhaps because my 1911 is soooo easy to take down? The Kahr takes down in much the same fashion, but is... Tight. That's a good word for it.

Interesting to me, the first time I took it apart, was that the machine work is darned near beautiful inside this little pistol! There were no tool marks. Everything was smooth. The barrel in particular is nicely polished. The feed ramp is part of the barrel and it too is very nicely polished. This is the low-budget Kahr... Makes me want to get my hands on one of their higher-end pistols.

Shooting? It continues to impress! I did not buy a compact "pocket pistol" 9mm semi-auto for target competition. But wow... It really does shoot well. The loooong smooth trigger pull is much more like a good double-action revolver than the short, crisp pull of a 1911, or the short pull of a Glock. So, I have to make an adjustment when I'm shooting the Kahr, and give it a long trigger pull. Okay. No problem.

I've put 600 rounds of Blazer Brass ammo through it in both 115 and 124 gr variety. Flawless function. Not one malfunction, in 600 rounds of ammo, through a brand new pocket pistol... I found no difference in point of impact or accuracy from contact distance to 25 yards. The 124 grain ammo "seemed" to have a tiny bit more recoil, but, who knows? Both bullet weights worked just fine.

The limiting factor on accuracy seemed to be the short sight radius coupled with my 60 year old eyes. The sights seemed perfectly set for typical 9mm ammo at typical defensive pistol ranges, meaning out to 25 yards or so. Put sights on target, squeeze, hit.

The optional 7 round magazine sticks down below the grip, and offers a place to rest the little finger, which otherwise is wrapped helplessly under this small gun. Shooting it with the 7 round mag is easier, particularly during rapid fire.

For carry, I've tried both Federal and Hornady. Right now the Kahr is loaded with 115 gr Hornady "Critical Defense" ammo.

If you're looking for a compact, quality "pocket gun" give the Kahr a look. It's a solid choice.

Regards, Guy

The sticky brand pocket holsters work great. I use them for my ruger LCR 357 and sig 290RS when carrying in pocket. It keeps the gun covered but will stick in the pocket upon drawing the pistol. I have been really happy with this setup. My wife has been using one for her Kahr CT380 too. Works equally well in a purse pocket with a safety pin holding it in or in her waistband or jacket pocket.

http://stickyholsters.com

I've had a PM 9 for quit some time now. It is accurate and very reliable. I was told that NYPD has compiled some statistics based on actual shootings. Apparently the little Kahr is an approved off-duty gun. The 9mm and the 40 S&W both have the same stopping ability when fired from this small pistol.

I regularly mix various types of ammo, including handloads, in my Kahr and have never had a single failure to feed, fire or eject. I look at the diminutive Kahr this way:
It's better to have a small, light handgun that you will carry then it is to have a bigger, more powerful handgun that you eventually stop carrying because of its bulk or weight.

Exactly.

My new "job" (my own company) after retiring from cop work, sometimes requires me to be armed, yet to not look like I'm armed. To be "socially acceptable" in appearance. The ol' 1911 poses a few problems with accomplishing that, particularly in warm weather. Hence, the 9mm Kahr.

For anyone who doubts the effectiveness of the 9mm with modern ammunition... I've personally seen enough bodies hit with 9's to know it's fully as effective as most other handgun cartridges, .40's, .45's etc...

Guy

The Kahr is a good one and I agree about the 9mm.

Did you by chance consider the Ruger SR 9?

Vince

Vince":6sg381iy said:

Vince

No - the SR 9 is just a little bigger than I wanted.

I would seriously consider the Ruger LC9s. Had to be a true pocket pistol. Something easy to carry in an ankle holster or in my pocket.

Guy

Guy Miner":3l27648c said:
Vince":3l27648c said:

Vince

No - the SR 9 is just a little bigger than I wanted.

I would seriously consider the Ruger LC9s. Had to be a true pocket pistol. Something easy to carry in an ankle holster or in my pocket.

Guy

I meant LC9 but had a brain fart. : )

Vince

Well ya, the LC9s is a great little pistol. I didn't like the trigger on the original LC9, but when Ruger made the "s" version with a vastly improved trigger, I became a fan.

I've had quite a few people come through my handgun courses, using the little Rugers, and they always shoot well. Reliable, and reasonably accurate.

Nice and flat for carrying concealed too. True pocket pistol.

Guy

Back