It was my wife's idea, I swear.

ksubuck

Handloader
Jun 25, 2014
The other night my wife asked me if I thought it would be a good idea for us to each pick up a handgun and go through a training course with them. So we talked about it for a while and she decided with the current climate in the country we should do it. She even said she realized my new pistol would obviously be more expensive than hers. What is not to like here? What did I do to deserve such a woman?

As she begins educating herself on what she might like in her first pistol, I have nearly bitten a hole in my tongue. I have to let her decide what she wants. I got her signed up at the local gun shop for an orientation in a couple of weeks to try a variety of options out. Then we plan on the NRA course at the gun club this spring.

So, while I try not to fuss about her choice, I have to wait to see how much of our budget is left for me. I have only have revolvers in my life and have never had an auto. It is time to scratch an itch I've had forever. I am going to get a full size 1911. Narrowing down to a Colt 70 series or a Springfield Range Officer so far.

Any opinions on a good starter 1911? Ruger, Remington, Kimber, etc?

I would go with one of your first 2 pics ... Colt 70 or Springfield. The Colt is likely to benefit from some work, while the Springfield will probably be better out of the box. The others are not going to keep their value as well. The majority of custom base guns are Colt or Springfield, with a few Kimbers here and there.

What a wise move! Congratulations to your good lady. I certainly do not qualify as an expert on handguns, but I do enjoy my Kimber Crimson Carry. You certainly appear to be doing things right. Again, congratulations on what has to be a wise move for both of you.

You can't beat the 1911!

I have a Kimber Tactical Pro II in 45 ACP and my girlfriend has a Springfield EMP 9mm.
0ff84b25-a895-44ec-87c1-50b0e548a11f.jpg

JD338

I have a range officer and I can tell you it is the best value 1911 on the market. VERY tight tolerances in slide to frame and bushing to barrel fit. It is truly match grade. Out of the box no cleaning not touching the sights I shot a 2" group at 25 with WWB 230gr ball. It IS NOT pretty but it is VERY functional. No front slide serrations or frontstrap checkering and the parkerized finish will mar easily.
Though I love my RO dearly my suggestion to you would be the Kimber Stainless Target. It will only run you $100 more than the RO(850 vs 750).

I have a Ruger SR1911 CMD, for the price a hard gun to beat, runs everything I put thru it so far. if it has a fault its is it's weight. I carried it while doing Tether checks for the county. I also carry it concealed in a IWB Alien gear holster. this is a full size frame 1911, its all stainless steel, and its heavy somewhere around 32-36 oz empty.. The belt you carry it on is everything.

When it comes to a 1911 pattern pistol the sky's the limit. Anything and everything has been done to it and there are lots of options available. Springfield Armory, Sig Sauer, Ruger, Remington are just a few others that are mass production models of good quality. If you want something exceptional Les Bare or Ed Brown comes to mind. I have five different 1911's which have all been customized or custom built.
If I were looking for a high quality 1911 I would look at the Les Bare Premier for a full size pistol, it's the entry level pistol in their line up but it won't disappoint you. You should also look for a Bob Marvel .22 conversion kit for it which is a top end kit that will shoot bug holes. Bob also makes some fantastic 1911 target guns but not what your looking for.
Have fun looking at all of them.

Buck, I would lean towards the SA, but am wondering why you are so concerned with accuracy. If you are going to use it for self defense or as a general carry most of the quality brands will meet your needs. Some are prettier than others but all preform the same function and do it time after time. I have a couple of those already mentioned and they all shoot.

I do not know this firsthand, but have been told by a source I trust that SA has used 2-piece barrels, and that has caused some disappointment for this person in the accuracy of an SA gun he otherwise found to be made extremely well.

Just passing that along. That info is worth about what you paid for it. :)

I don't know if they use 2 piece barrels or not since the one I have has a custom barrel that was factory installed. But just for conversation I will say it used to be a practice to cast the breach block and sweat a rifled barrel into it and then ream the chamber, this method was used by several manufactures. Colt even went as far as threading rifled barrels into the breach block but the threads showed on the out side of the block and they stopped doing it.

Thanks for the thoughts, gentlemen. I am just looking for a range toy to practice with and for a little more variety for home defense. The neighborhood is getting rougher with lots of new rental units going up nearby. It is amazing how many immigrants fit in one apartment... then multiply that by 100 units...

I figured a lower level model from one of the main manufacturers was the ticket. Starting to think a rail for a light/laser mount might be in order and make it a bedside safe dweller.

My wife is thinking of a potential carry weapon if she becomes proficient enough in the future. I have a CCW for the revolver I keep in my work truck but haven't felt the need to carry in public. May change someday.

Some great info and advise here, ksubuck. Check out this link on Front Sight Firearms Training (Since this was her idea, lol), two of my friends and their wives have taken the course a couple times. They say it's great. https://www.frontsight.com/. I bought my wife a Ruger LCR in 38/357, then we went shooting with these friends and their wives, they all had 9mm's so I bought her a S&W 9mm (her idea) and guess who carries the Ruger LCR. :grin: Great little snake gun.

Springfield Range Officer in stainless has a new home. Just in time for Snowmaggedon 6. May have to schedule some indoor range time to try it out.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1458770699569.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1458770699569.jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 3,568
I really like most of the tolerances on this pistol. The slide has no perceptible wobble and cycles nice and smooth. The barrel/barrel bushing fit also has no wiggle. The Range Officer has a one-piece, match grade stainless barrel. Barrel fit is nice and tight. The only thing that seemed off is the forward bevel on the slide doesn't quite match the bevel on the frame. Noticed that on the other Springfields I looked at as well. The Loaded model I looked at was not as nice as the Range Officer.

The delta hammer is a little awkward in my novice hands. The trigger is fairly crisp, has a little take-up and pulls at 4.5 pounds.

The finish is pretty nice, the bead blasted portions are uniform and flat, the polished stainless is a bit rough.

The sights are okay, but I may switch out the target rear sight if I don't like it in the future.

Came with a nice case, 2 mags, a mag clip and belt clip for the pistol.

Overall, seemed as nice as some of the more expensive Kimbers and Colts, and seemed much tighter than the Rems, Rugers, and Colts.

We will see how it shoots and give a final review.

Went to the range this weekend to screw around with the new pistol. Saturday, I ran 100 230g FMJ and 14 230g JHP to get familiar with the gun. Sunday, I ran another 100 FMJ pretty much rapid fire. Felt great. I have some room for improvement, but I am very happy with the pistol. Still may switch out the sights, but think more practice will overcome the issues I have with them.

20160417_175713.jpg

My wife picked out a Ruger SR22 to learn with. She has had it to the range twice now and loves it. Put 300 rounds through it...

20160424_101718.jpg

She has mastered the basics and is already thinking of something a little larger. She shot a round with my new Springfield and handled it well but thinks a little smaller pistol would fit her hand better. I suggested we start plinking with the pistols and she asked what that was. Hehehe, she is in for some fun.

I am just elated that she has forgotten her recoil aversion in about a year of shooting.

Congratulations to your good lady. Amazing how fitting the firearm to the person obviates many of the problems otherwise encountered. Good on you for taking time to encourage her.

Congratulations to you and your wife.
Not only on the fine acquisition but on thinking of the need for self defense tools and training prior to the necessity of having to use the aforementioned tools.
Since your bride is looking for a smaller pistol than the 1911 I'd look at the Ruger LCP or LC9. I have an LC9s and really like it.
As far as training I can't recommend Massad Ayoob Group enough. He really stresses the survival after the shooting and how to articulate your need for lethal force.

Vince

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back