S&W 586 357 Magnum

gerry

Ammo Smith
Mar 1, 2007
I have had the licensing for years now to own restricted firearms but have yet to buy one. I have always wanted to buy a S&W revolver or two (Hope to buy a model 57 41 magnum one day) but have found a good deal by the looks of it on a used 586 with a 6" barrel like this one.

http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/wcs/ ... rrorView_Y

I had read before that some didn't like the heavier barrel of the 586 but when I handled a 6" 586 and a model 29 44 magnum in our local store I really liked the 357 quite a bit better.

Anything I should know about that model? Looks to me like the 357 magnum would be a nice cartridge to own with being able to use a mild load with something like Trail Boss and then full power loads with something like Lil Gun. Easy to get components even here in Canada for it as well which is a plus.

Would love to hear your thoughts on the gun and cartridge.......

Jerry, I carried the 686 (stainless version) on the PD. Qualified with it many times and found it a pleasure to carry and shoot. The extra weight tames a full house .357 round and I found mine to extremely accurate. In the 6 inch version my take would be "more of a good thing".

Gerry, +1 to what Big Rifle Man said. I carried a 686 for a short time before transitioning to autos but the extra weight, especially the lugged barrel, will help absorb recoil from heavy loads.

When I was first getting into law enforcement, the S&W L-frames were just hitting the market and I wanted one really bad. I personally liked the blue finish better than stainless but for everyday duty carry the stainless had advantages. Unfortunately, I've never owned a 586 but it's on my list to own someday still.

Ron

The cartridge is a pleasure to load and shoot.

A Smith & Wesson "L-frame" can be a wonderful revolver!

Enjoy

The gun I was looking at sold so I missed out on it, thanks for the replies though.

There are some 6" 586's here but I was wondering about a fairly common version here, the 686 Canadian Edition with a 4.25" barrel which is just over the minimum legal length. I like the traditional blued steel 586 but have to admit this version of the 686 looks quite appealing too.

Any thoughts on the matter and is the shorter barrel much harder to shoot than the 6" revolver?

While we are on the subject of 357 magnum revolvers what about the model 66? I could get one of those too but it sounds like the L frame is more durable than the K frame.

The 66 was the King of the K frame and the 586/686 is more of a good thing and will handle the recoil of hot loads better. Where people run into trouble is with the ones that have been modified internally for target shooting, lighter springs and polishing can make for a fantastic trigger pull when done by someone who knows what they are doing but will not hold up to constant heavy magnum loads. In factory original condition the 66 will handle the standard magnum loads.
The 586/686 was introduced for law enforcement because they wanted a heavier pistol with a 4" barrel that would handle the recoil better and be easier to recover for a quicker second shot.
The one modification I would have done is to have the forcing cone opened up if I were to shoot a lot of lead bullets out of it because it will lead up quick and cause accuracy to go south and shooting jacketed ammo thru a leaded forcing cone can cause higher pressure and crack the barrel and damage the frame. But this can happen on any revolver that has had a lot of lead shot thru it with out proper cleaning.
If you like the looks and feel of the 4.5" model I would buy it since it will be easier to carry and handle a little quicker than a 6" if you plan on packing it while hunting for a back up the only advantage the 6" will have is a little more velocity with the longer barrel and a slightly better sight picture.
Here's a new in the box M19 for you to drool over :mrgreen:

Attachments

• KIMG0194.jpeg
    KIMG0194.jpeg
    254.9 KB · Views: 2,562
Gerry, I would use a powder such as Accurate 4100 or Alliant 2400 in either .357, ,41, or .44 Mag. It is my understanding that Lil Gun is hard on the top strap just above the barrel/cylinder gap...flame cutting is the perceived issue. Supposedly Lil Gun produces higher temps. Besides, I have founf Accurate 4100 to be outstanding, and 2400 has always been very good.

RiverRider thanks for the info, it will come in handy some day.

Rodger, that is a sweet looking revolver and thanks for the additional information. The 586 I was looking at sold but I'll keep an eye out for a nice used one or a 686, I do like both versions. It may take a while (hopefully not) but one day I'll bump this thread ad show you some pictures :)

gerry I just renewed my restricted Pal and was advised by the local shop owner that there could be some changes to the criteria on which we are allowed to have a restricted Pals and one of the changes that if you do not own a restricted weapon than there is no need for you to have a restricted Pal.
Go figure :evil:!!

Blessings,
Dan

Would expect no less from comrade Trudeau, he and those above him calling the shots want to take our freedoms away.........

sask boy":3alvkw0j said:
gerry I just renewed my restricted Pal and was advised by the local shop owner that there could be some changes to the criteria on which we are allowed to have a restricted Pals and one of the changes that if you do not own a restricted weapon than there is no need for you to have a restricted Pal.

Blessings,
Dan

Motivation, Dan. Buy a restricted handgun now.

DrMike":st0o7xhf said:
sask boy":st0o7xhf said:

Blessings,
Dan

Motivation, Dan. Buy a restricted handgun now.

I concur with the good Reverend.[emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back