my swimming pool gun...

375hh1973

Beginner
Mar 31, 2007
I recently purchased a mountain bike. Figured it would be good exercise. Hadnt ridden a bike since I was 15 or so. Its true. Had no issues remembering how to stay upright. Tried a couple of different gun/holster combos, none were really bike friendly. Finally settled on my J-Frame in a pocket holster in cargo pocket of cargo shorts. Best for me in terms of comfort, access, etc.

38 pool gun.jpg

So I went for a nice ride the other day, had a blast. Met a couple of friends for lunch. Its been hot here in Michigan so on the ride back home I thought how nice a few laps in the pool would feel. Got back, took out my wallet, took off my ball cap and sunglasses, shoes, etc and jumped in. Did a few laps then wondered what the heck was in my cargo pocket...

Yup, it was my J frame. OOPS.

Took the grip off, let it dry, hit it with brake cleaner then lightly oiled. Good as new. I was curious about the ammo. I carry Gold Dot 135+p in it. I replaced with new ammo but kept the ones that got wet. This morning I took them to the range and all 5 went bang just like normal. They even went where I aimed.

:evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: You washed your gun huh? :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

:mrgreen:

I did something similar a few years ago after taking a good 20 some years off of riding... I was going to GTMO and decided to get a bike for the base. Got a good one with clip in shoes. Met a girl while in school and we went out for a ride one day. I remembered I used to ride wheelies when I was younger so I raised the gears, slowed down, pulled back on the bars and started the wheelie. The front tire went up, and I had three thoughts- first was that i am stronger than I remember, and the second was the bike is lighter than my old one, and third, my feet are clipped in as the tire went higher and higher. I did half a back flip and landed right on my back. Knocked the wind out of me and for the rest of the school, I had to sit on a doughnut because my tailbone was bruised. My glock was in my bag, I was glad it didn't go off when I landed on it.

Bicycles are dangerous. She married me a few years later.

Wyo7200":2rdn932w said:
I did something similar a few years ago after taking a good 20 some years off of riding... I was going to GTMO and decided to get a bike for the base. Got a good one with clip in shoes. Met a girl while in school and we went out for a ride one day. I remembered I used to ride wheelies when I was younger so I raised the gears, slowed down, pulled back on the bars and started the wheelie. The front tire went up, and I had three thoughts- first was that i am stronger than I remember, and the second was the bike is lighter than my old one, and third, my feet are clipped in as the tire went higher and higher. I did half a back flip and landed right on my back. Knocked the wind out of me and for the rest of the school, I had to sit on a doughnut because my tailbone was bruised. My glock was in my bag, I was glad it didn't go off when I landed on it.

Bicycles are dangerous. She married me a few years later.

You probably said, WATCH THIS, right before you pulled off you stunt. And she still married you! God bless her! (y)

I don't want to be the turd in the punchbowl, but after a dunk in water - especially a chlorinated pool - your revolver should be detailed dis-assembled, cleaned and re-assembled. Spraying it with brake cleaner and oiling did nothing for the internal parts, which are small, fit precsiely, and concealed under the side plate and within the cylinder ejector ratchet.

While there are several ports of egress for water to leech out of the action, some water will remain and cause problems including rusting. Chlorine will cause corrosion regardless of the type of material your J frame is made of. These problems will occur weeks or months later. Discovering your defense weapon fails to fire during a critical event would be unfortunate.

A gunsmith or armorer would be able to detail disassemble your J frame. If you are handy and have properly fit screwdrivers and a bench vise, you could do the job yourself. I'm sure there are some tutorials online.

As far as the ammo goes, unless it is submerged for a considerable amount of time, it will fire just fine once removed. The problems occur weeks later as moisture eventually works its way into the primer or propellant. Some ammo has sealed primers - Speer LE ammo such as the .38 Special 135 GDHP +P usually does.

It's not like a lawn mower, which if it stops working the only consequence is that you don't get your lawn cut at that moment. Just sayin'.

Back