S&W 329....any feedback?

A

Anonymous

I've been out of serious handgun shooting for a while but I've been wanting a revolver for general woods toting. I've never been totally sold on the idea of even large revolvers for bear protection, greatly preferring rifles and shotguns for that kind of thing.

That said, the local hook and bullet got a 329 in and I really like it. Seems like it might be the ticket for packing around when I'd like to carry a fishing rod or be doing stuff where carrying a long gun is too inconvenient- like packing meat or simply playing guide for friends while they hunt.

Anybody got one of these and can give me the good, bad and ugly?

What length barrel are you looking at?
I just bought a 629 with a 3" barrel and she seems to shoot pretty good.
SampW%20629%203%20inch%2044%20Rem%20Mag.jpg

JD338

The 329 is a 4" with the scandinum frame. Very light. I'm positive it will be a handful to shoot, but then again it's a tool of last defense...I hope to never ever need it.

.44SPEC is likely the range fodder of choice.

The 4" with titanium cylinder is the 329 PD.

I carry a 329 NG, 2.5" barrel, skandium frame, stainless cylinder, and XS big dot sights. Its seems to be the best of both worlds. A little heavier than the standard 329 but more compact and without the extraction issues of the titanium cylinder.

ca1550350e69befd928720a284c3508f.jpg

I have shot the 329 PD quite a bit. Smith and wessen had a bunch of these with short firing pins, as a result they had some issues with reliably going bang. My buddy is a smith service center so they sent him a bunch of firing pins to replace free of charge. A lot came in to get new pins, and that meant a lot of test firing. Three cylinders full of standard 44 mag ammo isn't much fun to shoot thru these, especially when you have more than one to shoot.

That said, if you stick to moderate loads you don't get the extraction issues from the titanium cylinder and recoil is more manageable.

It's made to carry much and shoot little and in that role it excels. Running 300gr cast bullets at 1000-1100fps it will do all you need without breaking your wrist.

It it's used look at the cylinder gap guard guard, that is where you have to watch for damage. The stainless insert protects the skandium from flame cutting.

c75c2f9c3268986181470dfcb83e6923.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the feedback Josh- this one is a PD version.

I didn't hear about the firing pin issue and that's a very good point about the flame cutting...although I'm pretty confident that I'll never shoot it enough to make it matter. I wish they still produced the Night Guard series- those were pretty nice.

Honestly as long as you don't push the power levels it will serve you very well. For some reason titanium cylinders tend to get sticky with hotter loads.

If you stoke it with moderate loads like federal cast core 300gr load, you will definitely feel it, but it's controllable and a dream to carry.

So, I finally picked the 329PD up.... now to look for a holster.

Anyone got any suggestions on that? I'm looking at the Diamond D "Guide Choice" and the Eberlestock Nosegunner. I like carrying binos on the chest pack but I'm wondering if binos and the revolver will just be too much stuff up front. I tend to like keeping the binos handy rather than stashing them in a pack.

H.
I use the guides choice with the super Blackhawk I carry. Owned it at least five years and really like it. Pretty well thought out for a working holster up here.
I also have one for my 1911. The most comfortable carry option I've come up with in the field.

You can adjust the straps so it rides more on your ribs, but yes it might take some work to keep your binoculars and pistol from clunking together.

http://survivalsheath.com/#

I've had a couple of these. Great holsters. It can get in the way of binos but not usually too badly, I tend to pull the binos below the gun and hook the straps below the holster.

Those diamond d chest rigs are really nice, but made of leather. Two bad things about leather.

The hold water
They turn to sandpaper over time.

Leather picks up dirt and debris, then that "sand paper" rubs the finish off your gun. Kydex is far less likely to do that.

The water thing is an issue, I'm not camping out so on rainy days I can get it dry over night.

Ended up ordering one from "Gunfighter Inc."... called the Kenai Chest Holster.

A kydex and nylon number- I'll report back on how it works out.

I received the "Kenai" Holster in the mail.

Very nice holster- fit is perfect. Revolver is held in snugly so it won't bounce out when doing high movement activity and the holster itself has little bulk and weight.

Pretty much perfect for a lightweight handgun you want to not notice until you need it.

Still working with how to manage the holster and a bino harness but something will work out.

A little trial and error and you should get it figured out.

I bought a 329 in July. Just got back from bow hunting the Western side of the state. I carried the 329 the in a cross draw holster and never noticed it was there. I use 240s and H110 for practice and 265s and H110 for carry while hunting. As said above a nice gun to carry a lot and shoot once in a while.

Back