S&W SHIELD 45

Thebear_78

Handloader
Sep 30, 2004
I was poking around online at Pallmetto State Armory the other day and saw they had S&W shield 45 for $225 after factory rebate.

At that kind of price I couldn't pass it up. I ordered one of the 45 without the thumb safety.

First impressions where quite favorable. It was quite comfortable in the hand. Slim and flat for easy concealment. Can't quite get the whole pinky finger on the shorter magazine, but enough that it's not hanging in midair. It has a nice rough texture in the stippled grip area.

I picked up a blade tech IWB for the time being. It's not going to be a permanent CCW holster but will fill in until I figure a permanent rig. It's small enough to carry under minimal cover garment. The slide serrations are very sharp and you would really want something between you and it.

Shooting it also proved very rewarding. The first 6 shots using sig 185gr JHP AMMO stacked quite nicely right at POA. The first shot landed right at the top of the center dot, the next 4 touching just below. I had one flyer ruining the would be good group. Another shooter touched off a 2" 460 S&W as I was shooting, nearly knocking me over with the muzzle blast! Caused me to throw one left.

First 6 shots out of the shield
4f00731eaf581be7eea4ce3e56e1d973.jpg

I put another 50 rounds of UMC ammo threw it. Zero malfunctions and chewed a big whole in the target at 10 yards. I highly recommend anyone looking a concealed carry rig to check them out. They also had 9mm and 40 S&W in the 215-244 price range after rebate.

4c6e2c51fb340761c141756b720b0ccd.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looks as if you secured a fine piece! Congratulations. That's a good price for that quality.

I have not handled a 45 yet, but my Brother in law has two in 9mm. Great pistols and they feel very good in the hand. And that price would of made it impossible for me to walk away also.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have owned Shields in all three calibers and prefer the 45 or 9mm over the 40, in that order. The 45 is my carry gun about 98% of the time year around. In my opinion the recoil isn't nearly as bad as you you might expect a small 45 to be. Accuracy and reliability have been superb with practice and hollowpoint ammo alike.

For that matter, I own M&P 45's in all three sizes and, in my hands, the recoil is extremely mild compared to other 45's I have owned or shot regardless of brand or design.

Bear, you mentioned the short magazine, Pearce is now making a replacement floorplate with a finger rest for the Shield 45. I think cost is around $10, give or take a dollar or two.

Ron

Bear,
After owning the Shield 9 for 2 yrs now I was waiting for the 45 to come out and then held off for the Performance Center version with ported barrel and slide. That version was released a this years SHOT and it will be the next one I add.

Back