S&W 5 shot .44 Special

lefty315

Handloader
Sep 29, 2004
I was at a graduation party the other day and the Dad asks me if I want to see his new gun, uhh yes! Pulls out a stainless 3 inch, full underlug, 5 shot .44 Special with no lock. Guessing a L frame as it appeared identical to my 686 3 inch. I have seen the .45's before but never a .44 Special.

Could I ever come up with a nice Keith hardcast load for that one!!! I think I'm going to have to let him know they used bad metal in those guns and they're prone to blowing up. It wouldn't be right of me not to take it off his hands and save his life :mrgreen:

Sounds like a 696, The smith 69 is a l frame in 5 shot 44 mag

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The 696, a 3"stainless L Frame 5 shot 44 Spl was only made from 1997-2002. No dash models had case-hardened hammer and trigger, hammer-mounted firing pin, and no internal lock. dash 1 models went to frame mounted firing pin and MIM hammer and trigger, and dash 2 models added the integral lock. Not that many made from what I have heard. A great find and a very fine revolver. I am envious

No hammer mounted firing pin on this one, so perhaps a run for a distributor? At least I could swear it didn't have one. Maybe a custom job? Either way it would make a nice woods gun!!!

Back