Sig P229 vs. Glock 23

bdbrown66

Handloader
May 16, 2016
I currently own a Glock 23 which I keep around the house and occasionally carry. I'm OK with it, but I'm thinking about trading it in on a Significant P229. LGS has one on sale for a reasonable price. The Sig is a little heavier and thicker, but since this isn't my main CCW piece, that's not a real drawback. On the plus side, the extra weight should reduce recoil in the .40.

Let me hear you thoughts, pro and con.

I have a Sig Equinox P229 in .40 cal and its a great pistol, and its beefier and a little heavier than my P239 in 40 cal. The P229 comes with 12 rounds in the mag and the P239 comes with 7 but I like carrying the P239 every time I step out because its more comfortable, smaller and lighter. Both are surprisingly accurate and I just use the factory Winchester 155 grain SilverTips ammo. Both have the decocker features which I like which gives me the advantage of safety and protection of having a round in the chamber with the hammer down. I am shy of having a round in the Glocks because of the lack of the decocker. Not bashing Glocks, but I prefer the Sig.

I carried a .40 229 as a duty gun from 1995 to 2016 when I retired and carried a P220 and P226 before that. By and large, Glocks don't fit my hand well and point high when I draw from a holster whereas Sigs fit me very well. In my opinion, the Sig will be more accurate as well. You may already be aware, but some people who are new to the DA/SA trigger system of the Sig find it harder to shoot compared to a striker or single action, especially the DA first shot with it's heavier pull weight. If you're accustomed to it, or become so, it's not a big deal but it can be to some shooters.

In later years, the Smith & Wesson M&P has become my preferred weapon and a .45 Shield is my EDC gun. They fit my hands best and have proven to be accurate and reliable.

Just my .02

Ron

I've been a big fan of Sig since the late 80s. A P229 is very tough to beat. You might want to look at the P225 as well, after owning a dozen Sigs the P225 is my hands down favorite.

Thanks for the input. I found a great deal on a CPO P229 that looks like it's barely been fired. I believe it was a LEO turn-in, just a wee bit of holster wear on the front corner. Other than that, it looks brand new. Firs my hand well, better than the Glock. Shot one mag thru it, and it was very consistent. The Glock is on its way to my buddy's house.

IMG_20180304_074245.jpg

IMG_20180304_074328.jpg

Back