New (old) wheel guns

shoots_5

Handloader
May 15, 2009
I'm a second generation State Trooper and also work within our firearms program. I was lucky enough to have the opportunity when several of these old S&W 66-2's were recently discovered to privately purchase two of them. Long ago my Dad was issued a gun of this generation. I'm planning on keeping one and giving one to my Dad for his Birthday. I love old guns and especially love guns with history. I am hoping I can find some old records and maybe figure out who in the agency may have been issued these particular guns. Both are in pretty good shape for being stored in a box for so many years before being discovered again!

I know I'm pretty excited to have them and I'm anxious to go put some rounds down range!

0c20c915329e2eef779ccdd818632e19.jpg
f1160a3eb4bd395c6c7a4336ba3d7b68.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

shoots_5":2kou2hno said:
I'm a second generation State Trooper and also work within our firearms program. I was lucky enough to have the opportunity when several of these old S&W 66-2's were recently discovered to privately purchase two of them. Long ago my Dad was issued a gun of this generation. I'm planning on keeping one and giving one to my Dad for his Birthday. I love old guns and especially love guns with history. I am hoping I can find some old records and maybe figure out who in the agency may have been issued these particular guns. Both are in pretty good shape for being stored in a box for so many years before being discovered again!

I know I'm pretty excited to have them and I'm anxious to go put some rounds down range!

0c20c915329e2eef779ccdd818632e19.jpg
f1160a3eb4bd395c6c7a4336ba3d7b68.jpg

outstanding!

Though i own an L frame(6" 686) I feel that the K frame is the best wheel gun that Smith produced. Perfect combo of size power and accuracy. The 19 and 66 are as perfect as a double action six guns get. The new versions of the 66/69 released a few years ago are on my radar to acquire. The ball detent at the front crane instead of the at the end of the ejector is a great improvement I think but I'm not a fan of the rifled tube barrel. its only a 4 1/4" barrel version but the ones I have handled balance nicely. The M69 intrigues me, a 5 shot 44 mag in a K frame is the bees knees.

I have owned numerous S&W and still have a few in the safe with the K Frame being my favorite.
I even have one unfired new in the box I found at a local shop a few years ago.

That's great - one for you and one for your dad!

I sure like my Model 19, with the 2.5" barrel.

Guy

I have a big soft spot for good wheel guns. I don’t even own any of those bottom feeders anymore lol. I’ve used to own an L frame 686 I should have never let go to my brother. I still own a 4” colt python, 8 3/8” model 29, and a 442 & 642. I still think the k frame feels to best to me. I’m dying for a 19 or 66. Would like a 2.5” barrel and 6”. I’ve handled the newer ones, but they just don’t seem as good to me.

Back