1911...made in 1912

A

Anonymous

A family member recently recovered a 1911 through a long complex will and estate fiasco and sent me some photos...

Condition is fairly rough and I'm trying to determine if it's a commercial or military model. Serial number 4060 puts it as a 1912 production model in a lot of 700 between a USMC and a USN contract.

Any 1911 aficionados have any ideas on origins?

The gun has seen a hard life since 1912- homemade replacement grips, a GI barrel sometime in the 1970s and being abandoned in an attic for 30 years took its toll. It's a neat old piece.

Pics forthcoming...

No intel from this angle, but that sounds just cool. The provenance on the handgun makes for a fantastic story, if only imagined.

On closer observation of the serial number photo...it could be #406011, which would put it in a huge run of guns made in 1918 for WWI. The last two digits seem odd and certainly different from the roll marked first four digits.

Some pics:

Attachments

• FullSizeR_1.jpg
    FullSizeR_1.jpg
    205.3 KB · Views: 1,046
  • IMG_4260.jpg
    IMG_4260.jpg
    90.5 KB · Views: 1,046
Hodgeman if it had been issued to the USMC or Navy it would have been marked USMC or USNAVY.
I once owned a rare 1911/1911 Colt commercial model which I sold.
I now own a DCM refurbished 1911 manufactured in 1911 That I placed a .22lr conversion on.
I took all the military parts out of it and replaced them with new commercial parts so I could return it back to it's original condition and yes I have the paper trail for it when it was sold for $5 back in the 1960's by the DCM. :)>)

Back