Sigh, another Ruger...

Guy Miner

Master Loader
Apr 6, 2006
Today's Basic Handgun course was great! Good group of people, mostly great firearms.

Ruger SR9c, 9mm semi-auto...

https://ruger.com/products/sr9c/models.html

Shot well for a couple of magazines, then abruptly locked up. Would not return to battery. Locked up with a live factory 9mm fmj round partially in the chamber. I had to resort to serious brute force to open it and get it squared away.

Believe lack of lube was the reason for this problem. Student said the gun hadn't been fired in two years. It was clean for sure.

Lesson - use your guns. Clean 'em and lube them. Just because they worked "last time" doesn't mean they're ready for this time!

BTW, I don't think there's anything wrong with the gun, it feels great in hand, is accurate, and except for that one bobble... A bobble that could cost a life... It shot very well. Very nice gun at an attractive price. I suspect this one needs a couple hundred more rounds of ammo through it in addition to the clean and lube.

Guy

Guy, your comments are on the money. A while back I read an article (I believe it was Mike Venturino,. forgot what magazine) advising that your carry gun should be broken down at least once a month for cleaning and relubing. Between Dust, Debris, and the lube drying out it's a procedure that could save your life.

Back