Time for a change

longwinters

Handloader
Oct 10, 2004
Since I just retired this year I have lots more time to shoot. Wiped the dust off the Thompson Contender in 7-30 Waters. Took it to the range and shot 130 gn Sierra ssp. Off the bench groups were .465 - .731 with Reloader 15. But Sierra doesn’t make those bullets anymore and I really like the BT’s in 120 gn so got some reloading to do.

But the new deal is that I am having a muzzle brake put on the Contender. It really doen’t need one, but I would like to try one on this caliber barrel. Hoping to take a little of the sting out of my left index finger getting thumped when I shoot.

Next business is figuring out a way to get a very steady rest for hunting. I came up with an idea of taking a couple off those adjustable clamp deals, with the trigger adjustment and attaching them to a small piece of countertop (left over). Then it can be clamped to the window sill of a hunting shack. Put a small shooting bag on it to rest the pistol. But this won’t work in a pop up blind so I gotta figure out something else for that. We hunt fields and i’d Like to be solid out to 200 yds.

Long

I put a sling stud in the forearm and attached a tall bi-pod so I could shoot it from sitting.
I also put a muzzle brake on one and it was so load I couldn't stand it so I took it off.
The added weight helps with the muzzle flip.

I know it will be loud, but I wear electronic muffs / hearing protection even when hunting w/ a handgun. So hopefully it will not be an issue.

Good idea about attaching the pistol to the shooting sticks, I’ll have to try that out.

Long

Long,

I use shooting sticks with my Contender for hunting but my shots are 100 yards or less when hunting. This is my 375 Winchester which has a brake on it. I use ear plugs so I don't have any issues.
iqBDBGg.jpg

Hunting accuracy off the sticks seems to be ok for me.
mDOfATX.jpg

JD338

That looks nice JD. I had to use a short forearm to get the best accuracy out of mine or at least it seems to prefer less wood on it.
I had the trigger and hammer engagement areas polished in my and then electroless nickle plated the frame, lightened the springs and man did that slick up the trigger pull.

I’ve shot a small 10 pt and a doe years ago with my contender but it was off of a solid rest where I wired up 2 poplar poles, like a bench,and had a bag rest on them. It worked great but not too portable lol. I’ve tried the shooting sticks but the wiggle drives me nuts. Maybe I just need to practice a lot more with them.

Long

Long,

The key is practice. I don't have any problem hitting a water bottle at 300 yards off the bench with the 6.5 JDJ. With the shooting sticks, 100 yards is all I have ever shot.
Something I will have to work on once the new house is done.

JD338

Back