Optics for 6mm BR

TackDriver284

Handloader
Feb 13, 2016
Finally took out my Remington 700 6mm BR after 15 years of not using it, I had sold the scope and rings off of it and just bought a one piece 20 MOA steel base for it and I would like some feedback on rings and type of scope. I don't like and don't buy cheap scopes. I just like top quality brands and hope you guys have some opinions on your preference.

The rifle is a slow twist and shoots 68 grain Bergers mostly, one of these days I will have it sent off to rebarrel into an 8 twist and caliber is unknown at this time.

Griffin Armament E-tac rings are super cool and under $1000 i’d go with Vortex Viper of your choice with 30mm tube. If over $1000, Nightforce. Scope question is a little vague though. No sure what youre looking to do with it. Not sure about the 20moa base with that bullet choice either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

drakehammer":30kpb2g1 said:
Not sure about the 20moa base with that bullet choice either.

It's was all they had at that time. :mrgreen: I know its overkill.

BTW, called that store where I bought it from, they can take it back and order me a standard steel base. You may need a scope that has a maximum of 50 MOA in order to use a 20 MOA base, so I assumed it best to play it safe.

I bought a Steiner GS3 and a Leopold VX5 recently. Both have great glass.
Zeiss Conquest works well too.

Nothing to add on rings.

For the Last several years I've been using a solid one piece picatinny rail mount of various brands (Nightforce, Brownells, etc.), bed it if necessary, and rings from TPS Products. This combination works great for me. TPS offer a lot of choices at what I consider to be a reasonable price.

http://www.tpsproducts.com/

Redhawk Rifles has the Zeiss V6 5x30 with mildot reticle for 1100.00. They are a bit heavy but the reviews are pretty good on them. I might buy one to check it out. The mildot wouldn't be my first choice but I have a couple scopes with them and they are functional. The tracking is suppose to be spot on and reliable plus Schott glass is always good.

I'm a big fan of Zeiss, currently using the HD5 3-15x42 and the older MC Conquest series. Nothing against the other brands, but the Zeiss provide the sharpest and clearest images to my eyes even compared to Leica and Swaro. The issue I have with the Zeiss scopes is that some of their posts / crosshairs are a bit thick and the scopes themselves aren't exactly low weight. Additionally Zeiss spotting scopes and binos (last I checked) are exceptionally grainy to me, so I can't promise that their rifle scopes would be the best for your eyes.

Have you considered the "ZEISS HD5 5-25X50 Varmint with locking target turrets and 1" Talley Picitinney rings" that is listed in the classifieds?

Alex Wheeler has had a scope checking thread going on for awhile . this is the second or third time he has started one . guys get PO'd because their scope brand doesn't check out to well and complain until he takes the thread down . I'm not sure if you can make sense of this thread now or not . there could be links in this thread to other threads that will explain things better . there were also a couple guys making, and selling , scope checkers that could be linked to in this thread . at one time it was a interesting read .

http://forum.accurateshooter.com/thread ... g.3928325/

I had to make a smart decision,,,,my 7mm Magnum hunting rig has a NXS 8-32 with the fine MOAR-T reticle ( .0625 lines) and I decided to order another NXS with the little thicker MOAR reticle. What I plan to do is swap the scopes and use the thicker reticle for the hunting rig and use the finer reticle for the 6 BR for target shooting. The fine reticle is a bit hard to adjust to hunt with in field situations in low light conditions. Made this decision so I wont regret it later.

Thanks all for the responses and advises.

Finally my Nightforce NXS 8-32 MOAR came in today. Making the swap with my MOAR-T that is currently on the 7 mm Magnum hunting rifle and putting the new one on it. I am putting the finer reticle NXS on the 6 BR for target. Just need to make measurements to order the 30mm rings, possibly Badger rings or similar. Can't wait. (y)

duD4l4hl.jpg

7abpXAml.jpg

Back