SWFA 6x

Guy Miner

Master Loader
Apr 6, 2006
Well, at Scotty's urging, I finally purchased one of these 6x SWFA scopes.

Not an entirely strange scope to me, I have used one of the 10x versions, years ago.

These are one heck of a bargain, and were on sale too. Quite a scope, particularly for the low budget price of about $300.

Interesting, when I ordered it, before my recent fishing trip to Alaska, I envisioned it atop my 308 Win Green Machine, replacing the Vortex. But... today it ended up instead atop my seldom used 300 WSM Win Model 70! Replaced an older 4.5-14x Leupold. Hmm.. I think that 4.5-14x will end up atop my CZ varmint rifle, chambered in 204 Ruger.

Maybe this is the scope I've been seeking for the 300 WSM Model 70? Hard to say just yet. It looks and feels right on that rifle. I'll have a chance to get it to the range later this week.

Guy

Make sure you get the zero stop shims. It’s a very worthwhile investment. It’s really a mandatory feature in my mind.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thebear_78":2a65553a said:
Make sure you get the zero stop shims. It’s a very worthwhile investment. It’s really a mandatory feature in my mind.

Those might cost him .99 cents at the hardware store. I’ve outfitted all of mine with them. They aren’t hard stops but you’ll know you aren’t going too far past zero.

Congrats on the scope. If you all wait for the 4th of July, Labor Day, Black Friday, etc the scopes can be had for 250-260 with free shipping. I dare someone to find a tougher scope that does as well with tracking and RTZ than the little SS. They are tanks but darned good optics.

Their 3x9 SS MQ is a wicked performer as well, for decent money.

just a day or two ago , I ran into a sales ad online . I can't remember if it was a pop up or what , for sure . I think it was a heck of a discount though .

SJB358":ou4ztb00 said:
Thebear_78":ou4ztb00 said:

Those might cost him .99 cents at the hardware store. I’ve outfitted all of mine with them. They aren’t hard stops but you’ll know you aren’t going too far past zero.

Congrats on the scope. If you all wait for the 4th of July, Labor Day, Black Friday, etc the scopes can be had for 250-260 with free shipping. I dare someone to find a tougher scope that does as well with tracking and RTZ than the little SS. They are tanks but darned good optics.

Their 3x9 SS MQ is a wicked performer as well, for decent money.
My son put the 3-9 SS on his 7mm RM and likes it a lot. I put a SS 3-15x42 on my 25-06 and I have been looking at the SS 6x for my 300 WSM. Definitely good, well made scopes.

Guy, looking forward to your report with your 300 WSM.

Dwh7271":3n7t0lqz said:
Good scopes.
Really hard to beat at the price.
Yeah but if they would just put a decent hunting type reticle in them as a option would be great. It seems that all the scope manufactures want to cater to the tactical crowd now a days. Everybody wants to be a sniper with all the military style reticles on the market.

Trust me, it’s a good hunting reticle. I’ve been running one of them now for a few years and you can forget about the extra and just focus on the center if you don’t like to holdover but it is nice to know you can quickly hold a Mil and make a fast hit at 400 if you don’t wanna or have time to dial. They are busy compared to a duplex but having solid hold points for windage as well doesn’t stink.

I really like that milquad reticle. The side and top posts being heavy enough to see even in very low light really helps. I had one on a ar10, it was a great combination.

I just ordered a couple sets of the zero stop shims from Tim Kulin. You get 3, 2, 1, 1/2, and 2 1/4 revolution shims for 22 dollars shipped. You can find them on eBay or buy direct via pay pal. He will make shims for all the SWFA scopes.

https://youtu.be/4Sz_qP21yNs

Thebear_78":v5iv0s4a said:
I just ordered a couple sets of the zero stop shims from Tim Kulin. You get 3, 2, 1, 1/2, and 2 1/4 revolution shims for 22 dollars shipped. You can find them on eBay or buy direct via pay pal. He will make shims for all the SWFA scopes.

https://youtu.be/4Sz_qP21yNs

Nice, I will have to give those a look. Thank you for the heads up.

I had a set in a 3-15 and the 6x. Easy to use and effective

I have a 6x MQ on a 22LR, and it lived on an air gun for a bit too. Have not run it through any gauntlets, but tracking was very accurate and positive clicks on turrets. My kids have an easy time getting behind it too.

Using the reticle, velocity guesstimates for 22s and Strelok I was ringing steel at ~200yds with the 22LR.

Just installed a 3-9x42MQ on a 243 and shot if for the first time. Zeroing was fine and quick.

Have a 10x as a backup for fun on the 22LR, but I may use it on the 243 to take long maybe
As far a zerostops, flat hose washers work fine on the fixed models, not sure about the variable 3-9.

I have a 12x and a 3-9. A second 3-9 is on the way to me. I've made zero stops for both. It does have to be done a bit differently on the HD (3-9) turrets.

I'm very impressed by the mechanics of these scopes. The glass on 3-9's surprised me as well. I was not expecting it to perform at the level it does. For $450, with a bit of timing, you get a scope that tracks, has a useful reticle, and has glass that comes shockingly close to a Z3.

I can show how I did the ZS on the HD if anyone is interested.

I'll post some pics (hopefully tomorrow). I used a punch set to make washers that fit over the post inside the turret knob but not inside of the turret body. Layering the correct number of washers/shims makes a zero stop. There is some trial and error involved in getting it set. It is critical to have some quite thin shims. I punched mine out of vinyl siding and aluminum flashing (coil stock). The vinyl spaces things out rather quickly and the aluminum allows fine tuning.

Pics will help. Stay tuned.

Cool. Looking forward to seeing those zero stops!

My 6x migrated over to the 308 Win "Green Machine" where it was intended to go. Very happy with it on that rifle!

VSMyc4vl.jpg

AuECwxcl.jpg

Back