Notice: This site is not mobile friendly, we recommend you download tapatalk for a mobile friendly experience of our forum.

It is currently Thu Jan 21, 2021 11:51 am

Shop Nosler

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Scopes for 45/70 govt?
PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2020 6:44 pm 

Thank you Guy! Great testimony for simple and rugged

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2020 6:48 pm 

Thank you Guy! Great testimony for simple and rugged

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2020 7:24 pm 

Guy Miner wrote:
I love the little 2.5x Leupold for Marlin lever actions, particularly the big bores. It's got great eye-relief at 4.9" - important with the heavy-recoiling loads. A good field of view. Decent glass. Light weight, only about 8 ounces.

I figure it will mostly be used at modest range on medium to large game, so 2.5x is no problem.

Mine is mounted in Quick Detach rings so I can go to the factory sights if desired:

It's funny - twenty years ago I had this scope on the original model 1895 Marlin Guide Gun, then the 45/70 1895 that replaced the Guide Gun, then I had it on my 1917 30-06 for a while, and on the 30-30 Glenfield... Now it's back on a Marlin 1895 45/70. I REALLY like the scope. :grin:

BTW - it has a great reputation for hard-use applications. Famous brown bear guide Phil Shoemaker has had one on his .458 Win Mag stopping rifle for decades.

Regards, Guy

I have a leupold scope like that on my old Winchester 9422. Real light weight and let’s me see those busy tails in the trees again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2020 9:04 pm 

That little 2.5x Leupold is pretty much perfect for a close range rifle like the 45-70. The older 4x33 Leupold's would be great too.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2020 10:42 am 

Well, I got cold feet regarding my Nikon Buckmaster. Ordered a DiamondBack Viper HS In a 2.5-10x-44mm. Great price 249 at Midway.

It arrived yesterday and I mounted it. I spent a good hour plus mounting it, I noticed my weaver base had a twist to it. If it was level on the front, it wasn’t level on the back and vice versus.

Took that off and found my remlin’s receiver is the same. Hmm.

Cleaned everything up, but the base back on and torqued the screws with my wheeler FAT. The the rings trying hard to torque everything perfectly and align it perfectly.

First shot on the 25 yard no bore sight, showing my total lack of confidence was unwarranted. Used Federal Powershocks that went through the flood as I’m low on the BST.
Two inch dot.
Moved to the 100 yard lane without adjusting.

Put three more at a hundred on a fresh 1” dot. I’m ready to hunt. No bore sight, no clicks. I’ve never had this happen. What does Dr Mike day from time to time? I’d rather be lucky than good... anyways, my confidence is sky high.. just need to wait for the buck of my dreams to show up.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2020 10:46 am 

I think I might have learned a take away.

If you can shoot a better group my tapping your scope between shots. Time to replace it.

I don’t think I’ve ever done that before, but it was working on the nikon. Only a matter of time before it fails hard.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2020 11:30 am 

Well, I saw the first picture and I was super excited. My mind concluded that this was three shots at 100 yards! I was salivating at the thought of a true one hole group. Then I read the commentary you provided.

I do believe you are ready. That sort of accuracy is more than adequate for game waaaaaay out there! You're golden. I've had good success with Vortex scopes in the past. And the Powershocks will work just fine on whitetail. We're pulling for you.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2020 11:47 am 

mjc,
Looks like you are good to go.
Go forth and slay the mighty beast with confidence.
Best of luck to you this season.

JD338

Noslers Rock

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2020 4:31 pm 

Sat on the stand tonight. Had an 8 ptr holding at 62 yards down wind of me...hard 8 does he was herding.. I was winded, but they never really figured me out...several does were on shooting range with the bow. After dinner I’ll check the video.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2020 7:05 pm 

Guy Miner wrote:
I love the little 2.5x Leupold for Marlin lever actions, particularly the big bores. It's got great eye-relief at 4.9" - important with the heavy-recoiling loads. A good field of view. Decent glass. Light weight, only about 8 ounces.

I figure it will mostly be used at modest range on medium to large game, so 2.5x is no problem.

Mine is mounted in Quick Detach rings so I can go to the factory sights if desired:

It's funny - twenty years ago I had this scope on the original model 1895 Marlin Guide Gun, then the 45/70 1895 that replaced the Guide Gun, then I had it on my 1917 30-06 for a while, and on the 30-30 Glenfield... Now it's back on a Marlin 1895 45/70. I REALLY like the scope. :grin:

BTW - it has a great reputation for hard-use applications. Famous brown bear guide Phil Shoemaker has had one on his .458 Win Mag stopping rifle for decades.

Regards, Guy

I use the same as Guy does on my 45-70. It isn’t perfect for making tiny groups but it is an amazing hunting scope.

Actually, there are only two classes of people posting here: Model 70 owners and those who wish they had one. PATENT PENDING

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2020 9:43 pm 

Thanks Scotty. Somewhere down the road I’ll pick up one of those...

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2020 7:01 pm 

I sent the Buckmaster scope out for service

Hunted the rifle today with a Vortex Viper HS 2-10x44.

I shot a meat buck today. Dbl lung heart pass through... ran 70 yardstick. Blood trail was 18” wide in most places.

Sat in the blind 6am-5:45pm. He was the second deer I saw at 1pm

The wind was gusting to 50 and we had Rain.

My sons shot a meat buck as well. So later this week I’ll be processing.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2020 9:14 am 

Lynn,

I have the same scope, VX-3 1.5-5x20mm on my Marlin 1894 44 Rem Mag. Very clear and bright.

Guy,
That Leupold M8 2.5x is a classic. I have a couple M8 3x that, like yours, is tough as nails. One is on a Ruger 77/44 44 Rem Mag and the other is on a Fraunchi Affinity 20 ga for turkey hunting. I also have a M8 4x that now sits on a Remington 541T-HB 22 rimfire. That scope has done duty on 2 muzzleloaders and the Weatherby Mark V 416 Weatherby Mag. All of them have never lost their zeros.
Those old Leupold fixed power scopes are good!

JD338

Noslers Rock

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2020 11:53 am 

Well congratulations on the deer hunt! (y)

When you mentioned that your riflescope was pretty much perfectly zeroed as soon as you mounted it - I recalled a similar thing happening to me once. Only once.

I think it was when I bought a used 3x Leupold a few years ago and put it on my Ruger Number One. As I recall it hit beautifully, I may have needed a couple of clicks to actually zero it, but only a couple.

Like several others here, I really like the fixed - power Leupolds. Have them in 2.5x, 3x, three in 6x, and one in 12x. All are great scopes!

Sold a 4x Leupold on one of my rifles years ago. Kinda wish I'd kept both the rifle and scope.

Guy

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2020 5:19 pm 

Guy, thank you. So cool, if it happened to us once ... maybe it will happen again someday!

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2020 7:12 pm 

So the final Chapter. I sent the Nikon in for service.

I got a very nice note saying it’s Broke and here’s a credit for what you paided for it 10 years ago. The credit is only good on our web site.

No scopes. Their Binoculars, basically entry models or $1000 models. I settled on a set of prostaff binoculars, less than the credit, but they charged me shipping anyways.

They tried.

The Vortex Viper HS is working great.
Took a buck on opening day...Image

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2020 8:32 pm 

Congratulations on your opening day buck. Looks like the Vortex is getting it done. Sounds like Nikon isn't doing you any favors.

JD338

Noslers Rock

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2020 8:47 pm 

Congrats on your deer such a nice time of year to be on here with all the successful hunts coming in daily. Glad you got your scope figured out and your new Vortex is doing well.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2020 8:54 pm 

Glad the Vortex is working for you...and sorry Nikon didn't come through a little better. CL

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2020 10:55 pm 

mjcmichigan wrote:
So the final Chapter. I sent the Nikon in for service.

I got a very nice note saying it’s Broke and here’s a credit for what you paided for it 10 years ago. The credit is only good on our web site.

No scopes. Their Binoculars, basically entry models or $1000 models. I settled on a set of prostaff binoculars, less than the credit, but they charged me shipping anyways.

They tried.

The Vortex Viper HS is working great.
Took a buck on opening day...Image

Sure sorry to hear that Nikon dropped the ball. I don't believe you'll face that situation with Vortex. Still, good to hear that you were able to pick up a pair of binos.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2020 10:13 am 

Nice buck MJ!

Actually, there are only two classes of people posting here: Model 70 owners and those who wish they had one. PATENT PENDING

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2021 4:16 pm 

I have a Ruger 1 45/70 I use the Trijicon Accupoint 3x9 Green Triangle. It is a great scope especially in heavily wooded areas as it lights up well and with no cross hairs it seems to let the light in for dark woods shooting. With the scope you can hunt up to last second of shooting time where other scopes you can no longer make out your reticle.
This is a quick target closer range scope never tried long distance shooting with it of course it's on a 45/70 for brush hunting.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2021 4:50 pm 

Trijicon makes great scopes.

Offline Profile  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 48 posts ]  Moderators: NoslerV, Nosler4, JD338, NOSLER, FOTIS Go to page Previous  1, 2