Scope the .375 !

Guy Miner

Master Loader
Apr 6, 2006
Let's have some fun! Your suggestions for scoping the .375 Model 70 please!

I'm looking at this as a dangerous game rifle, as it will go to Africa for cape buff if I can make that hunt happen! It appears that the mounts will accept quick-detach Talley scope mounts, which pleases me. The iron sights are good, sturdy, and the front one is very bright. They come into view very quickly when I shoulder the rifle.

I'm thinking of some kind of scope in QD rings... And of course I have a strong prejudice in favor of Leupold, but... Let me have your ideas please, scope this rifle:

Thanks, Guy

Certainly nothing wrong with Leupold. I've recently found some good buys on a Kahles 2-7X36, which is excellent for such a rifle. Other scopes that I have that would work very well on that rifle include a Leupold VX7 1-6X24, a Kahles 1.1-4.4X24 and a Conquest 1.8-4.5X40. The VX6 1-6X24 would be a fine scope for the rifle, as would the Swarovski Z6(i) 1-6X24. I know these are all high-end scopes, but on a fine rifle such as that, they would perform well for the lifetime of the rifle and well beyond the years that you will handle it. After all, it is only money that we are speaking of. :grin:

Ebay had some pretty cheap 2-7x36 Kahles scopes on sale lately, they are great scopes. I have a Leupold VX-3 1.5-5x20 on my 9.3x74R, it seems to be holding up well (holds zero and repeats zero) and is nice and bright. Zeiss has the 2-7x32 Terra out now for about $375.

Leupold 4x33 is probably up your alley, it would be light, simple and tough. I'm not sure if you would have the length of the tube to mount properly on that gun though.

You will never go wrong with any of those recommendations :).
I would narrow to either the Leuy or the Kahles but that is only my opinion.

Blessings,
Dan

I really dig some of the choices on here, but within my budget, I would give a look at the VXR 1.25x4 with the Illuminated #4 reticle. It is very fast in target acquisition, and the price is pretty decent as well. Leupold also has their 1.5x5 Euro with the 30mm tube and #4 reticle as well.

The ultimate, may be a low powered Zeiss or Swaro, but with my budget, I couldn't find much to fault with the VXR, the illuminated dot is pretty quick and I really like the 30mm tube..

Many good suggestions here. Cool.

Rifle builder recommended QD Talley rings, and despite rummaging around in my stack of rings, I can find nothing that actually fits the bases on this rifle - so a pair of Talley rings it will be.

Giving some thought to the fixed 3x Leupold:

http://swfa.com/Leupold-3x20-FX-II-Rifl ... 50855.aspx

Or perhaps that 3x should go on my Number One, and shift the 1.5-5x from the Ruger to the Winchester... Who knows?

Rational behind the 3x, is that the fixed power scopes are very rugged, eye relief is good, field of view is decent, and I'm likely to be shooting at fair sized beasts so huge magnification won't be needed.

But... Who knows? I'm eager to scope it and really wring it out for accuracy! Might pop something else, something I've got on hand, onto it, for now.

Guy

I have a 1.5x5x20 VX-3 on my Number One 9.3x74R. This just so I have enough magnification to shoot decent 100 yards groups. So far I have been able to do that with 286 grain Partitions at 2500 fps. This meets my criteria for what I expect out of this rifle.

I have a similar VariX III (1.5-5) on my 45-70. Gives a superb FOV on 1.5x, and as Charlie said, usable magnification for paper punching at 100.

Buddy of my dad's got an M70 n 375H&H. No idea what he scoped it with, but he's printed more than a couple sub-moa groups at 300 yards with it.

I guess I don't understand why folks put a 6-24x on any caliber over .35 caliber. A 1.25-6 or a 1.5x5 makes much better sense, plus I have a Number 4 reticle in my VX-3 which I can always see irrespective of eye relief.

Gee, here I am thinking of putting a 3-9x on mine... doh!

Sent from my LG-E971 using Tapatalk 4

Back