VX-6 3-18x44mm

JD338

Range Officer
Staff member
Nov 4, 2004
I think I am going to rescope my 338RUM. I currently have a Mark 4 4.5-14x40mm on it and want to upgrade to a VX-6 3-18x44mm. Just wondering how the Zeiss HD5 compares to the VX-6.

JD338

Jim, my nephew has placed the HD5 on his CDL in the 7 mag and I have the CDL in the 270 win and I have the VX6 on mine.
Now have not yet got it to the range but in my man cave there does not look to be much difference but will check first light and last light before I make a final judgement. But please remember I have always been very partial to my Leuys :mrgreen:.

Blessings,
Dan

I believe this will be an interesting test, Jim. I have not put my mitts on an HD5, yet. I have two VX6 scopes. They are a good scope that give good clarity for the price. I have only compared them to Zeiss Diavari, Kahles and Swarovski, which is perhaps an unfair comparison. By the time I get an HD5, I suspect you will have already made the comparison.

I've looked at and thru the two side-by-side (VX6 3-18 vs an HD5 3-15) and played with them for an hr or so on 2 different occasions. I wasn't in an environment where I could really distinguish between optical quality (impressions are that both are great for this price range), but noticed that the Leupold had a much more forgiving eye box and was easier to get behind (and I'm a Zeiss fan if that tells you anything). I much preferred the Zeiss reticle and turret options over that of the Leupold when comparing these two models, and Zeiss' hydrophobic coating is an added plus if hunting in a wet environment. I believe the 2 are very comparable scopes in terms of quality. The subtle differences between the two in terms of features and how they relate to your personal preferences and intended usage are probably the difference makers in choosing between the two.

Jim, you can't go wrong with either scope pal :grin: ..I have 2 Zeiss HD5's and absolutely love the clarity, reticle and positive turret adjusments on these scopes, super optics for sure, as well as the Leupolds...Good luck on your choice pal :)

Lou

Thanks fellas.
I am wanting a little more magnification and clarity for shooting out to 1k and crop damage hunting in low light than the Mark 4 offers.

JD338

That is probably due to the 30mm eye box in the VX-6 versus 24mm in the HD-5 Zeiss. I do not have a VX-6 Leupold or I would do the test.

I know a few guy that are running the VX6, and really, really love them. One is on a 338 Rum as well.

I put in my order for a Leupold VX-6 3-18x44mm with the Illuminated Fire Dot Duplex reticle.
Looking forward to the test drive on crop damage deer. Mounting it on my 338 RUM so it should fit the bill.

The Mark 4 4.5-14x40mm M1 dials is going back on the 280 AI and should work well on WY speed goats this fall (if I draw). The VX-3 3.5-10x40mm CDS currently on the 280 AI is going on the 257 Roberts.
I am working up an impressive load with the 115 gr BT and will have it set to go for WY Antelope.

JD338

That should be a heckuva scope, Jim. I'll look forward to your assessment. I have two, sans Fire Dot, however; they are good scopes for the money.

Looking forward to your review of the scope. It should prove to be excellent. Am thinking those deer are in big trouble now... As if they weren't before!

Guy

Nice Jim, that should be a great scope for that .338 RUM rifle. Post some pics when you get it all put together.

Oldtrader3":1zkz8vu8 said:
Nice Jim, that should be a great scope for that .338 RUM rifle. Post some pics when you get it all put together.

Will do Charlie.

JD338

I got the XV-6 3-18x44mm and got her zeroed. Shot steel at 400 yds yesterday and put two shots on paper that are about 1" apart. This evening I went to the farm where I shot steel at 600 and 800 yds. The clarity of this scope is amazing to my eyes, I was able to see my hits on the steel at 800 yds. Looks like we will be shooting crop damage deer in about 2-3 weeks. I can't wait!

JD338

Jim, that should be a great scope for that rifle. Having all of the range of a 3-18x44 VX6 should meet any needs that you have and match the rifle capabilities pretty well.

I just eyeballed a 3-18x44 lit B&C reticle VX6 yesterday. Very nice scope...can't wait to see how your crop damage hunts go, Jim!

Sweet, sounds good JD. I am getting pretty anxious to see what the VX6's are all about. I really like the looks of their #4. Should be a great hunting rifle.

Back