Scope input needed

DON

Handloader
Dec 3, 2013
I'm looking to purchase a rifle scope for my 30-06 for Deer Hunting here in Tennessee.
I'm between the Vortex Diamondback HP 1" in 4.5-14 x 42 vs Burris FF II E1 in the same power range etc.

I like the Vortex but the E1 Burris looks good to me too.

Input please, experience if you have these and hunt with these.

Thanks,
Don

I have a Diamond Back HP 3-12X42mm on my 35 Whelen and it works great. I was told that the Burris and Vortex was made in the same plant in the Philippines but haven't confirmed it.
The Diamond Back HP also comes with a sun shade and has side focus. If your into MOA the duplex reticule is advertised to cover 1MOA at 100yds.

Purely from a specs perspective they are very similar. The Burris has better FOV at High power(7.5ft vs 6.1) but the Vortex better at low(23.8 vs 22) Vortex has better eye relief(4 in vs 3.1-3.8) both are the same length and have side focus, both have coated lenses. The burris wins on weight at 15.3 oz vs 18. For me the E1 reticle is better than the dead hold BCD. Just giving the facts and my .02. I own burris and they are fine optics but have not owned a vortex.

Not sure there's much to choose from between the two, the differences are about too slight to matter.

I don't prefer Burris's rotating eyepiece as compared to the power ring on the Vortex. Pretty slim pickings and I'm sure either would suffice for a lot of deer.

For what it's worth... I've got a Burris and several Vortex scopes. Both have worked just fine.

Just ordered the Burris today. Cabela's has it on sale for 244.55. Had some gift cards to burn on it so figured the buy was a good one. I have a VX1 3 x 9 x 40 I'm going to post for sale soon that's in excellent condition that will help pay off this purchase.

I got this scope to hunt deer with here in Tennessee I'm sure it will work very well for that.

Thanks to all who commented on my post.

Blessings,
Don

Let us know how the Burris works out for you.
Sounds like you got it at a decent price.

JD338

JD,
I will do that. Going to sell a VX1 3 x 9 x 40 soon to help off set the new scope price. I have the C4 Burris on the 300 RUM for the time being till I get the cash to get what I really want.

So far the C4 is doing pretty good actually. That's the reason I thought I'd try this E1 for local Deer hunting.

Don

Burris scope just arrived today. Looks pretty good so far. Now to get it mounted and bore sighted.
Then onto the range. :mrgreen:

Don

I eagerly await your review of the Burris and extend my hand in congratulations for your purchase.

Vince

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks Vince,
Going to mount the scope today then see if I can get to the range this week sometime.
let you all know the outcome later.

Don

Okay everyone,

I got the Burris E1 mounted on the 30-06 and ready to go. Now to get to the range this week to try her out on paper. I must admit I am impressed with the clarity this scope has. I absolutely love the ballistic plex reticle too. 8) Eye relief is good and I'm guessing close to 3.5" for me. The turret knobs with caps are similar to the C4 plus scope I have, I like those as well. I also am liking the appearance of this scope. So far I am pleased with everything, hopefully it will perform well at the range too. More on this later after the range trip.

Don

I have a few Burris FF E1s. I think they are a very good scope for the money. You'll like yours.

Scott

Thanks Scott,
Still trying to get to the range to finalize things. Work schedule you know :roll:

Don

Update on the Burris E1 purchased for the 30-06. I took a Doe last week with this set up and I'm happy to report the scope is impressive. For the money its amazingly clear and excellent in low light conditions!! I bought the 4.5 x 14 x 42 version. I shot the deer at 4:20 pm with about 10-minutes of light remaining. It looked like normal daylight conditions to me as I was waiting a few minutes for the deer to present the shot I wanted.

You will not be disappointed with this scope!

Don

Congratulations on your doe Don. The one complaint I have read about the E1 reticle is it is too fine for dark conditions, sounds like you had no problems with it. I'm a fan of the Fullfield II we have two 2-7x35's and one 3-9x40 in the house.

Jerry,

The reticle in my opinion is incredible. You are correct, I didn't have any problems seeing it in the declining light condition I experienced at the time. Previous days hunting, before taking the Doe, I was on stand testing the reticle and clarity almost at dark where you could hardly see with the eye. Again I came away impressed.

Burris has really improved their product line I believe.

Don

Good info to know. I'm a fan of Burris, I had one of my FF II scopes die quickly one time but they sent a brand new one fairly quick which was installed on my wife's 6.5x55. This one works great (as do my others) and my wife has forbidden me from ever replacing it :) My one 2-7x35 has spent considerable time on a 35 Whelen, but also a 358 Norma and 7 mm Rem Mag.

Back