Time to upgrade scope mounts

ksubuck

Handloader
Jun 25, 2014
Had a first time scope mount failure at the range yesterday. I was spot checking my 200g AccuBond load in my 325 WSM. First shot dead on and speed right at 2950fps. Second shot 3 inches to right, speed at 2950. Wondered what happened. As I lined up for the third shot, I noticed the eye relief was way off.

20160821_172538.jpg

Sheared the rear ring off of the base. Stripped right out of the windage screws. Fortunately, the scope appears fine, just a slight ring mark where the front ring slid.

Now, to upgrade to a pic rail and tactical rings, or replace the rear ring and call it good? Think I will upgrade.

I use a lot of the Talley light weight rings and haven't ever had a issue with them. They are light weight and cheap. With a Prime membership you can buy them for about 35.00 on Amazon. I have rails on several guns too but for the most part you don't need a canted rail or the extra weight and cost of a rail with rings. I ditched all of my Leupold type mounts like those quite a while back because I had issues with them.

I like the Leupold Dual Dovetail version. I also like the Talley Screw Lock Rings on the Standard or Signature bases. No difference between the two bases except the Signatures are a bit sculptured.

And the Talley Lightweights are a good one piece ring/base. I don't care for how they look, but they are solid.

I have been using nothing but Talley one piece lightweights for a number of years on everything I own I do not have a single complaint (y).
They seem to do the job for me.

Blessings,
Dan

Burris Signature Zee rings on a pic/weaver base. They solve so many problems and are very versatile. No more undue stress on scope tubes and no more ring marks on expensive scopes either.
Overall, very reasonably priced.

Charlie, that is exactly what I ordered to replace the mounts. I think the Leupold mounts are great on rifles with lower recoil, but don't trust them now on the heavy bangers.

ksubuck":24kz4jlv said:
Charlie, that is exactly what I ordered to replace the mounts. I think the Leupold mounts are great on rifles with lower recoil, but don't trust them now on the heavy bangers.

The windage adjustable rear ring set-up was never a very sound idea IMO. If you use to turn-in bases and corresponding Burris Signature rings you will have a solid mount with all the advantages that the plastic insert rings have to offer.

I use both types of bases mentioned (pic & turn-in) but have replaced all of my older windage adjustable base/ring combos.

I like Leupy Dual Dovetail mounts. I'd like Talleys more but between being a genetic freak (nearly 15" LOP and I still have to slide the scope way forward) and having a bunch of scopes with fat oculars they don't always work well for me.

There is a manufacturer up her in Alberta Canada I would very highly recommend. Near Manufacturing, website http://www.nearmfg.com . He has the picatinney rail and one piece scope mounts. They fit our guns awesomely ans makes it easy to remove the scope and reinstall without losing accuracy. Easy then to drop another scope on if you buy a second mount. Give them a look and give Richard a call. You will be recommending these to your buddies once you install them.

Welcome aboard, CdnAdventurer; always glad to see Canadians posting here. These mounts look quite interesting. I was not aware of them. Thanks for the intel.

ksubuck":1oyn69dz said:

This is my preference now as well, very impressed with the Burris Zee rings.

I like Leupold Dual Dovetail and Burris Signature Rings with MOA added. I am also a fan of TPS Rings and Bases as well as Weaver from the 1970's.

Another Canuck on the site welcome aboard (y)! I am sure that you are going to enjoy this group of people as there not a site on the Net that has as much knowledge and besides all the guys and gals are loads of fun!!
Now I personally hope that you are a lefty and own a Whelen :wink:?
Also thank you for the info on the a new to me mount manufacturer.

Blessings,
Dan

Back