Point me to a decent economical spotting scope please

Careful with the Nikon Prostaff, the eye piece break off easily.

A spotting scope is the epitome of you get what you pay for. What is your budget and intended use?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Leupold Gold Ring 15-30x50mm spotting scope. They run about $400.00. I like them. Small compact and light.

300-500 bucks for range work and to rate game size

My buddy has a redfield rampage. I think it was in the 300 dollar range. It works great for spotting bullet holes in targets and glassing for animals. You won't be counting rings on sheep at 800 yards with it but should give you a general impression of an animals size.

After switching to an "expensive" spotter this year I can tell you the difference is amazing between the 3-5 hundred dollar range and the high end glass. I literally didn't know what I had been missing. I would urge you to look hard at what you get and compare them in person. You might find it worth the extra investment to step up I glass quality.

The vortex viper HD is preset nice and just over your price range.

I have a Konus, purchased used on this forum, and am always amazed at how well it performs:
https://www.amazon.com/Konus-7120-20x-6 ... B001DX7Q8W

Dad has a Leupold, and I hate it. I can never see well through it no matter what I do.

My shooting partner has a Swarovski. Oh my, what a piece, but it's way above your budget. However, you'll see a fly on the back of an antelope at 500 yards.

I have a set of Konus 20x60 binoculars that are actually pretty decent glasses. Great for glassing large areas and then switching to the spotter

I've got a Zeiss Dialyt... 18-45x65... works pretty well.

I got it as a demo for $900 from Cameraland NY.

It's been my experience that lower end spotters are worse then useless. The Nikon Fieldscope is Ok, but for the money you can do better with a demo- you have to watch Cameraland and SWFA's demo list and be prepared to bite when they show up.

There is nothing else where $$$=performance like glass.

If you can make the jump to the $600 range, Vortex' 11-33x50 Razor HD offers a huge bang for your buck.

Fotis

It might be too late for my $0.02........

A spotter definitely has it's place - I have a Leupy 15x40 that is absolutely great, however it never makes it into my pack. It's heavy and I don't enjoy carrying it.
With that said, I enjoy photography but really suck at it. I purchased a Canon SX50HS a few years ago - upper end at the time point and shoot. It's fairly light and can bring animals in much closer than any spotter. Take a pic and then review on the screen - even take it home with you. Just a thought - can be purchased at wall mart for under $300.00

This buck was 475yrds away a few weeks ago, and nowhere close to full zoom.

09187.jpg

These bulls slightly over 800yds and not still not on full zoom.

View attachment 1

Attachments

• Archery1.jpg
    Archery1.jpg
    186 KB · Views: 1,767
I am probably really late to the party on this but I will throw a vote in the hat for Kowa. I just picked up a 601 and am really impressed with it's performance for the money. You will have to buy the body and eyepiece separately but I picked both up for $535 brand new. They are not armored the best so I keep mine under a Cabela's neoprene cover when in my pack but they are light and compact. If you are partial to a straight design you can grab the 602 for roughly the same price.

Nick

WestNE":18imeygt said:
I am probably really late to the party on this but I will throw a vote in the hat for Kowa. I just picked up a 601 and am really impressed with it's performance for the money. You will have to buy the body and eyepiece separately but I picked both up for $535 brand new. They are not armored the best so I keep mine under a Cabela's neoprene cover when in my pack but they are light and compact. If you are partial to a straight design you can grab the 602 for roughly the same price.

Nick

Thank you and Welcome to the forum sir!

Back