Need help in selecting a long range rangefinder

TackDriver284

Handloader
Feb 13, 2016
My old Bushnell 800 rangefinder hit the bucket. :D I am in dire need of help in selecting a long range rangefinder that calibrates on the dot. I hear that the Sig Sauer Kilo 2000 and Leica are great products, but leaning on the Sig Sauer Kilo 2000. Hopefully some of you folks have experienced with these products.

I have the Sig Kilo 2000. It has lived up to the hype. I know they are releasing some new models, i would not hesitate to buy another one.

Silentstalker":1yt4o7ul said:
I have the Sig Kilo 2000. It has lived up to the hype. I know they are releasing some new models, i would not hesitate to buy another one.

I read that they will be releasing the Kilo 2400 soon.

I too have been searching as my 1600B failed me.
I am looking forward to your report on your new one.

Blessings,
Dan

I have a Swarovski Laser Guide that has performed flawlessly for several years.
I just bought Sue a Leupold RX 1200i TBR/W for Christmas. I'm looking forward to making a side by side comparison.

JD338

I have had a leupold 800 tbi for the last two or three years. Pulled it out of my bag for the season and the reticle had completely faded out. Sent it to leupold they just told me yesterday they are sending me a brand new 1200 in the box not refurbished for my trouble. That is customer service.

Glad you didn't go with the Leica, mine has been extremely disappointing. I'm lucky to get a range out past 200 yards.

You got a lemon Gerry...

99.9% of Leica customers are very happy with their products, but everybody let's a lemon out the door once in a while.

Bought the new Leupold 850, absolutely amazing .
Can get readings off granite over 1000 yds away, got readings in Kansas on deer at 800 yds. Simple n fast.
Works flawlessly

Good Luck

gerry":3l3wb9vy said:
Glad you didn't go with the Leica, mine has been extremely disappointing. I'm lucky to get a range out past 200 yards.

I really liked my 1600 and it preformed flawlessly, until I accidentally dropped it on a rock and it quit working... :?

Just got the Sig KILO2000 for Christmas. I didn't think it was worth waiting for the new variation to hit stores, and at $349 for the camo model at Cabelas....

I'll be trying it Wednesday when I'm out hunting.

I just got a e-mail back fro Leica & they have advised me to send my 1600B in by UPS & they are going to take a look at it for me.
I had it up at DrMike's Moose hunting & it worked flawlessly 2 weeks later I went Elk hunting & it will not give me a range :(. I changed the battery at $222.95 & it still would not work.
I have been dealing with Leica for some time on this unit finally got them to say they would look at it.
I know that Bushnell has changed it policy & they now are giving lifetime warranty on their electronics also Vortex is also doing the same thing.
I will be sending in my RF this coming week if things go right.

Blessings,
Dan

Dr. Vette":2jb0e8zx said:
Just got the Sig KILO2000 for Christmas. I didn't think it was worth waiting for the new variation to hit stores, and at $349 for the camo model at Cabelas....

I'll be trying it Wednesday when I'm out hunting.

It's exactly where I got mine for the same price, I am sure you will love it. I rangefinded some deer at 300 yards and it was spot on and quick. Even trees at 1440 yards. Have not ranged animals further than 300 yards, hopefully see something far out soon.

I have had the Bushnell 800 in the past that worked very well. In 2009 I upgraded to their Elite 1500 w/ ARC.

The US military tested every make and model of rangefinder on the market in 2008, in every theater of service they were active in around the world. The one that was the most accurate, easy to use, and weather, water and sand resistant proved to be the Bushnell Elite 1500 and they bought the entire year's production line from Bushnell; you couldn't hardly get one in 2008. I still have and use it (for back up or for someone in the party w/o one) today.

I tested it against DrMike's Geovids in the field on several occasions over several years, and found it to be within 1 yard of the more expensive and newer equipment, on several occasions out to 1700 yards on readable surfaces. On large animals (moose, elk and mountain goat), it would work out to 1200-1500 yards under the right light conditions. 800-1000 yards on other game (deer and bears) under most lighting conditions. Under poor lighting conditions, 600 yards could be difficult to get readings.

When Mike upgraded to the newer Swarovski rangefinders, I bought his Geovids to have a single unit. For those instances in the mountains where angles are important, I will carry my Bushnell to use its ARC capabilities for determining angles and the proper range for said angles, and use my Trusty SLC's.

In a side by side comparison of Mike's new Swarovski's and the Geovids, the readings are pretty consistent out to as far as we can get readings with both units.

The biggest factor is light conditions and the reflective nature of the target, and being able to hold the unit steady enough to acquire the reading (this is consistent for all makes and models, regardless of price).

Well people I just got noticed that my Leica 1600B made it to the New Jersey repair depot last Thursday so I guess that I should find out shortly if it is repairable and how they stand behind them.
With a number of other companies now going with Lifetime warranties I am hoping that Leica will step up to the plate :wink:.
I will keep you posted on what transpires (y).

Blessings,
Dan

I don't know that anyone is providing a lifetime warranty on electronic components, Dan. The longest warranties I've seen were five years, and most are one or two years.

Back