Old Binos

truck driver

Ammo Smith
Mar 11, 2013
I have a pair of Bushnell 7X35 Binos I've had since the 1980's that are heavier than all get out but I was thinking about carrying them next year for Elk are they good enough for spotting or should I get something a little stronger?

Get new binocs for your hunt. Even cheap binocs made today are leaps and bounds better than what you have now. My compact Bausch & Lomb binos from the early '90's died last year and Bushnell offered me Trophy XLT 8x33 at a low price. These are not expensive binocs, but the quality and clarity is much better than the Bausch and Lombs they replaced, which I was happy with. Do yourself a favor and look through several pair of new glass. You won't regret it.

I agree, get some new binoculars. Get a pair with exceptional glass in the 10x40mm range. They will save you a lot of walking and give you the clarity you need to verify brow tines, etc.
I have a pair of Meopta 10x42mm binoculars and absolutely love them.

JD338

When it comes to hunting elk and mule deer I'd replace and upgrade my 30 year old binos before I'd replace and up grade a rifle scope.
I have Leupold scopes that are still in service that are as old as I am. My binos are two years old. My back up pair are about six. Anything older than that has been relegated to living in my truck or in my boats up in Alaska.
What I should have done
10 years ago was spend the money on the very best glass out there. I use them that much.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nikon Monarch 5s, 10x42, ED glass, etc, $325. Have a pair, carry in the truck all the time. Dropped out the door, to the floor, etc, nice. It always pays to upgrade anytime you can!

Jim

I'm a very loyal Leupold customer but their HD glass is probably twice that. I've looked at some of the Vortex optics, they are impressive.

JD338":1hkifppr said:
Roger,

I would start here. Its more than you want to spend buy you will be happy later on.
BTW, these are made by Meopta.
http://www.cabelas.com/product/Cabelas- ... lsrc=aw.ds

Buy once, cry once buddy.

JD338

These are NOT the award-winning HD binoculars, which are the ones I'd recommend, and also own.

For those, look here:
http://www.cabelas.com/product/hunt...uts?destination=/catalog/browse.cmd?N=1100054

FYI there is a guy selling the Meopta version for about $960 on eBay. If you can get a good sale code from Cabelas then they might be cheaper there.

Dr. Vette":2icw8zdc said:
JD338":2icw8zdc said:
Roger,

I would start here. Its more than you want to spend buy you will be happy later on.
BTW, these are made by Meopta.
http://www.cabelas.com/product/Cabelas- ... lsrc=aw.ds

Buy once, cry once buddy.

JD338

These are NOT the award-winning HD binoculars, which are the ones I'd recommend, and also own.

For those, look here:
http://www.cabelas.com/product/hunt...uts?destination=/catalog/browse.cmd?N=1100054

FYI there is a guy selling the Meopta version for about $960 on eBay. If you can get a good sale code from Cabelas then they might be cheaper there.

which is why I said start here.
Good optics are expensive but worth it when you must rely on them.

JD338

I had the old Bushnell and Nikon 10x50 that I used for 25 years and last year something went wrong with it, I guess dropping it too much and I got cross eyed with it when I would look through it. :mrgreen: So I went to Bass Pro and got the Vortex Viper HD 15 x 50 and its awesome and crisp clear. It sure brings the bucks closer to count the points on them.

http://www.basspro.com/Vortex-Viper-HD- ... /10213158/

Kowa seems to have some binos in my price range does anyone use their product? I know for years their spotting scopes were top notch.

Buy once, cry once, great advice when it comes to optics.
I was taught to glass as a kid, but that was with cheep binos and I didn't learn much. In spite of my success hunting I really didn't learn much about glassing.
For the last two seasons I've been using a pair of Leupold HD 10 x 40. They are not quite as good as the high end Swarovski I've used, but inside 400 yards I can't tell the difference.

truck driver":24nwpwm9 said:
Okay new binos are needed so with a $300 budget which would you get?

A bigger budget.

Trade a rifle & scope for some really good binoculars?

Guy

If you can stretch your budget to $450, I'd recommend a pair of Maven 8x30s.

https://forum.nosler.com/viewtopic.php?f=40&t=32474

I got a pair last winter and have become a huge fan. They've spent a lot of time afield with me this past year in all kinds of conditions, and had I to do it over again would buy the same pair. Everyone I've handed these to have walked away impressed as well.

Steiner Predator 10x42 are what I carry and they are $329 at
B&H camera in NYC. They are what I carry.

TD. I have a pair of Bushnell 7X35 Binos I've had since the 1980's that are heavier than all get out but I was thinking about carrying them next year for Elk are they good enough for spotting or should I get something a little stronger?
I have a pair of those in my kitchen, so I can watch the deer out of my back window. For hunting I use a pair of 8X20 ziess, which are too small for sitting and glassing for hours, but are great to carry all day long and for occasional glassing. If you need to count tines on a deer at 3/4 mile, your going to need a lot more glass. My advice as others have said buy the absolute best you can buy, at the size that meets your needs, you will probably nevervbuy another pair. (y)

I'm going to find me a pair of 10X42mm but I don't think they will be in the $800 range since I don't use them that much and need something other than a rifle scope for glassing next year.
I may be in for a rude awakening but as long as I can see horns or no horns I'm good.

I'm editing this to add that during my search I read where Leica owns Minox or at least the bino end and was wondering what the thoughts were on a mid range pair of these since they can be had for $300 or less if you look hard enough for sales?

Everyone has been suggesting some very fine binoculars but I still think there are some very usable ones in my price range. If I needed to use them everyday I would spend the extra bucks for a top of the line pair.

Back