Bought a new scope today.

Cleveland48

Handloader
Jul 28, 2015
Finally retired my old leupold vari-x 1 today. It didn't have clicks on this model and didn't always move like it was suppose too. Over all it was a great scope and never lost zero on several different rifles. But I decided I wanted a little more power especially for shooting groups with my 6.5 Creedmoor. Had $60 bucks in gift cards from a local hunting store. Ended up getting a Nikon Monarch 3x12x42 with side focus and target turrent. This is my first Nikon ever, but they let me take it outside to look through and it looked great. Set it up today with leupold PRW rings. Was easy to set at 100 yards and the scope tracked great. Seems to have good reviews online also.
3db5f414488871198d3074010088793c.jpg
f741cfe2195d361bcac03abff0812dba.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good looking scope; and it looks as if you're eating healthy, as well. (y) The Nikon certainly has good reviews. I'm certain you're going to be pleased with it. It is definitely a step up from the Vari-x 1. Good move on your part.

Nice scope and from what I know the Nikons are a good value for your dollar.

Vince

Nice scope, congratulations. Let us know how she shoots.

JD338

Thanks guys. It tracks great so far. I ran out of reloads due to my old mounts I used first since I like low mounts when they will clear the obj bell. I had set it on the table and shot some other guns, then went to shoot it again and it was several inches off. Noticed the scope was slipping in the old rings. Started to panic cause we are going on our annual deer hunt in Alabama this weekend. Bought the only two boxes of ammo I could find in my home town. Hornady American whitetail 129 gr interlock. I've always trusted the interlock, but was hoping they would shoot well. Once I got it dialed in two shots were together then I moved 1 click down and left it after the third shot. Do believe they will work just fine for me. Box claims 2820 fps I got 2740 fps through 22" barrel. Here was my final 3 shots with the 3rd shot being after I went 1 click down.
41b6fc51a151174dd69294306c1b0a44.jpg

Yeah makes me wonder why I reload lol. Except they had almost 80 fps ES. Which at the ranges I shoot doesn't mean much at all. I really like the new PRW rings those things seem like they are built stout! Wanted low, but apparently every store around here only carries medium and high. Still get good cheek weld though with the mediums. I have nothing but trust in an interlock only doing 2700 fps. Should perform great at that speed I assume.

Oh can anyone tell me the best way to measure scope height? Trying to figure it out to plug in my app. Don't just want to guess 1.5" or 1.75". Been sitting here wondering about it, but I'm far from a math guy lol

Never mind on that last one found a pretty simple method on Sinclair website.

Cleveland48":zfbxb90h said:

I'll have to check out sinclairs method .
this is how I do it .

Your method looks easier than the one I found. The one I found had lots of math and taking the action out of the stock which I don't want to do lol

I just used a caliper and went from center of bolt to center of scope tube. Got 1.56" figure that is close enough to use 1.5" for my scope height.

I looked at sinclairs method after I posted my pics , this seems to be the standard way of measuring scope height . I'm glad I posted those for you . yes a caliper works great , just be careful by that nice glass .

I hope so, the glass is better than my old vari-x 1. But I'd expect it to be since that is the old bargain leupold.

Well scope and the American Whitetail worked out great on my hunt. Managed to take a pretty good 9 point. 60 yards pretty steep quartering away shot. Aimed for the opposite should. He dropped on the spot maybe kicked once or twice. No exit figure bullet is in chest cavity. Could not feel it on the other side under the skin.

Back