Minox BV 10X42 Binoculars

truck driver

Ammo Smith
Mar 11, 2013
The Minox binoculars I ordered from Cameralandny came today after a UPS mix up in Philadelphia PA transfer depot.
These were an open box special and I'm a sucker for specials when they are a 50% discount :grin:. When I took them out of the box I thought dang they are heavy(760gm)
shipping weight was 3#. I was comparing them to my old Bushnell sport views and made in China Leopolds I have handled . Minox says they are made from magnesium for lighter weight. I do believe the roof prism bino is heavier than the porro style or that is what I read but don't know they conversion from metric.
First impression was that the are compact compared to some of the 10X42 I've handled.
It's heavy over cast here today so I took them out to have a look see. They are very bright and I could see into heavy brush and threw tree tops for several hundred yards and close up I could see into a fur tree I have in the yard that is very thick. The colors are sharp and clear and there is no flaring or obvious black edges around the outside edge of the lens. The eye cups rotate out to adjust for wearing glasses or to get the right eye relief distance. I will also note that they don't adjust as wide as some to fit your eye width spacing but was not a problem for me. They come with rubber lens caps front and rear. the rear being one piece while the front are individual lens caps, the rear have a loop where you can run the neck strap threw so they stay with the binos and doesn't get lost. I may have to change that if it gets in the way and same for the front covers also but to replace them with Butler Creek caps would add more weight.

When installing the neck strap I ran into a problem. The problem was the loop for the strap didn't come out of the mold clean and there was still metal in the slot that needed to be removed before the strap would fit. Hmm so much for quality control and I hope that is the only problem I run into though it was easily remedied with a jewelers file. They come with a 30yr warranty so I should be good to go if a problem arises.
The next thing I noticed was all the German markings (Minox Gmbh)and no where was made in China to found on these. Some of their models specifically state made in Germany in their adds and description.

I think I got more than my moneys worth compared to some I've handled.

Attachments

• KIMG0350.jpg
    KIMG0350.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 1,805
Glad to see they arrived in timely fashion, Rodger. No doubt the mix-up in Philly was due to distress by some of the snowflakes that are watching the transitions in Washington. :mrgreen: I bought these same binos for my son-in-law last year; he loves them. I picked up Nikons for Noah. I'll be interested in your evaluation once you've had a chance to work with them. Your assessment of how they work for you at twilight or first light should be interesting.

If they are anything like the Minox 3-10 rifle scope I had but traded for the 35 Whelen they should work great but still too early to tell.
I will say they look as bright as my Meopta Meopro 3.5-10X44mm rifle scope and my Zeiss conquest 4.5-14X44mm.

DrMike":byui6hmp said:
Glad to see they arrived in timely fashion, Rodger. No doubt the mix-up in Philly was due to distress by some of the snowflakes that are watching the transitions in Washington. :mrgreen: I bought these same binos for my son-in-law last year; he loves them. I picked up Nikons for Noah. I'll be interested in your evaluation once you've had a chance to work with them. Your assessment of how they work for you at twilight or first light should be interesting.
It's 1720hrs here at the present and well past shooting light so I took the new binos out side to look around and see how they preformed. I must say they work very well since I'm still able to see small branches on trees 1/2 mile away across a bean field looking towards the east with no back round light to enhance them. If a deer was standing at that distance I would be hard pressed to make it out with the naked eye but like my Meopta or Zeiss rifle scopes I would still be able to take a shot if I was so inclined. They really extend visual time for spotting and seeing game. I suspect they will be as good or better in first light . Twilight is always the hardest since you are constantly loosing light to see by but use what is left of it very well. They are sharp and crystal clear, the Bak4 roof prism does a good job and Minox seems to have used good coatings on the prism and glass.
So far I'm happy with them but only field experience will decide how well they work while hunting.
Right now if some one was looking for new glass I would say these are a steal even at full price($300). (y)

DrMike what does your Sil and you think of the pair you bought for him?

Rodger, both my son-in-law and I are quite pleased with the binos I picked up for him. They were a good purchase that helps him immensely in the field.

Rodger I wish we were closer , I'd lend you mine for a little while to compare . I bought the razor HD's in 10x42 a few years ago . my friend has the swaro EL's in 10x42. these are also only a few years old . . he lent me his to do a side by side . I kept his for about a week doing nightly comparsions . after doing this I was glad I saved $1000 . I couldn't see any difference . I think I may have posted about this on the forum , I'll have to look . there have been a few times I wished I had his along to compare again under different conditions . one that comes to mind right away would be , when hunting glassing down into canyons looking and looking for hours . I would have liked to had his swaro's to see if they were better at reducing eye fatigue .

Jim,
I have a wood area across from my house and looking down into a spring bottom. looking from inside my house out the front window threw window screens I could see the water puddles the spring makes at right around 300yds threw the tree tops and see the grass field on the other side a 1/4 mile away. If a deer had been walking threw that bottom I would have clearly seen it. The definition is very good with these, how good I don't really know compared to $1200 or higher priced glass. What reviews I read on them before purchasing them were compared to Zeiss and Swaro 10X42s and the persons doing the reviews all said that there wasn't a $1000 worth of difference between them so until I look threw a pair of Swaro or Zeiss I'll never know and to be honest my eyes probably won't be able to tell the difference anyway.
Someone who uses the higher end glass all the time might be able to but not me.

I found the thread I posted in .

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=25243

you sound like me . I just don't think I know exactly what all I should be looking for . I'm pleased with mine and I'm sure you will be pleased with yours . that one hunt was the most I have ever glassed , it was wearing my eyes out .

Thanks for the link back Jim. that was a nice read. I thought about the Vortex and the Nikon Monarch 5&7 but went with the German glass instead.

kind of off topic here .

just look at what we have going on today , with our sport . all kinds of decent glass at different price points . bullets that are just about tailor made to different usages . so many different powders they overlap . so many different rifle cartridges they over lap .most factory rifles are decent accuracy wise , most seem to be MOA or better . we are living in the good old days , right now .

jimbires":19ry2bu6 said:
we are living in the good old days , right now .

True, dat. Compared to even a few years past, these are great days. (y)

Congrats on your bino purchase TD. I'm sure you will use them and they will make a difference on your trip out west.

My 10x40 Nikons are heavy enough I no longer use just a neck strap. I have upper back and neck issues and hanging that much weight off my neck all day does not help. I picked up a cheap, $20, harness where the straps go around your shoulders. They make a huge difference in spreading out the weight of the binocs, but they also bounce around less while hiking through the woods. I would encourage you to get a harness and try it between now and your trip to see if you like it. I didn't think I'd like it at first, but the more I use it the more I like it. Bret

Back