Reconditioned Scopes

old_school_guy

Beginner
Jan 8, 2017
I've been looking at Leupold scope prices on different web sites and most of the big retailers such as Cabelas and Bass Pro Shops are usually priced the same. But when I go on Ebay, I can find the same scopes for $100 less or sometimes even more. When I email the Ebay guys and ask them if these scopes are brand new in unopened boxes, they always say yes. It's so tempting to buy off Ebay and save $100+ but I find it hard to believe these "small" guys can get those scopes at much lower costs than the big stores that buy 1000's of them. Do any of you think companies like Leupold, Nikon, etc would sell reconditioned scopes or blems in original packaging to these small dealers? I've also heard there are some fake or counterfeit scopes on Ebay from China. Would it just be best to buy from the big stores, pay the premium price and feel confident I'm getting 1st quality products? What do you guys think?

Very rare for Leupold to have a sale. I think the Christmas sale this year was the first significant price reduction I've seen.
I missed a golden opportunity at a VX6.
In a prior life I made a number of burglary and robbery cases by searching the online sources such as eBay. I wouldn't purchase online from an unknown individual if they won't provide serial numbers for authentication.
I'd be cautious of the knock offs. A deal too good to be true usually is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My wife buys on e-bay, and she says that if you purchase an item that does not live up to your expectations, that e-bay will insure that you can return the item and get your money back. I have also bought a few things and none have been returned.

Yvette buys off eBay all the time. I was unfair to that group. We called Craig's list Crimes list. In any event it's almost six years since I retired and the on line industry was responding to pressure from the market place.

It seems to me, historically, it didn't matter where you shopped, a Leupold scope sold for essentially the same amount. Never seemed to go on sale. Just before Christmas there was a great sale at Cabelas and other retailers.
Makes me wonder if Leupold's new management is responding to the market rather then counting on consumer loyalty.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I will put this out there for confirmation and consideration. I believe that a numbr of years ago there were some counterfeit Leupold scopes out there. Those had a pretty gold ring on them but were built in some foreign country. Leupold could probably give you some info in serial #'s etc. Those- I would be worried about. Otherwise I have three used Leupold scopes, sent back to leupold for a clean bill of health. I paid significantly less than full price and have no complaints. CL

Back