Leupold Exceptionalism

NYDAN

Handloader
Sep 17, 2013
Forum Readers,

I feel obligated to share this story of exceptional customer service and support with you.

On the first day that I could hunt in NYS during the regular gun season, I walked to my blind and carried my rifle with the sling over my shoulder. When I was unlocking the padlock on the blind, the strap slid off my shoulder and the rifle fell onto a steel wagon wheel, landing directly on the scope. The front bell of the scope was dented in. I think the whole tube was actually bent.

IMG_2066.JPG

IMG_2067.JPG

The scope is a Leupold VX-3, 3.5-10x40mm, matte finish with a B&C reticule. I was extremely happy with this scope.

I contacted Leupold and asked them if they could repair it. The response I got was, “Please send it in to us and please include a letter detailing the issue that you’re having or services requested, a good return address and phone number. We will get you taken care of.”

So, I packaged the scope in its original box and sent it in. I received an e-mail that said “We have received your product for service and estimate completion in 18 working days.” That was on January 17, 2017.

On Thursday, 01/26/17, I received a brand new replacement scope – FREE OF CHARGE. No bill, no invoice, no e-mail or phone call asking for a credit card number. The is the new Leupold VX-3i, 3.5-10x40mm, matte finish with a B&C reticule.

Friends, this was NOT a problem with material defect or poor workmanship. This was an operator induced accident that caused damage to the scope. It was NOT a Leupold issue. It was MY issue. I expected to pay for the repair or replacement.

This is a whole new definition of “We will get you taken care of.”

I let Leupold know of my amazement at their service/support. This was their response, "Dan,
If you had taken the scope in anger and pounded roofing nails with it, you would have paid for the replacement. If you're out pursuing the same passions we share, and an accident happens, different story. We're all hunters and shooters at Leupold and "we'll get you taken care of". May your hunting and shooting days continue for many more years!"

Friends, I can not justify buying optical products from any other manufacturer. I already have two Leupold scopes. From now on all of my binoculars, spotting scopes and rifle scopes will be Leupold – no exceptions.

Dan

that's great . I had a very good experience with Leupold too . a week or two after receiving my scope back , I received a questionaire from them asking how satisfied I was with the service I was givin . I think they are a good company that stands behind the product they sell .

Glad to hear that Leupold took care of you, Dan. Korth, their representative here in the Great White North, are less accommodating. If I lived in the States, I'd undoubtedly rejoice in the knowledge that they take care of their own.

Yup. Leupold customer service is excellent.

JD338

I commented a few months ago that Leupold had new management and would come roaring back.
The vx111 is a good scope, the vx3i is better. It has dual erector springs. An engineering response to a small number of issues.
I don't work for them. Four years in a row our booth at Denver, Portland and Seattle sport shows, was right next to them. I ask a lot of questions when I'm thinking about spending my money.
I'm happy to read of such great service as it validates what I've been hearing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am glad that Leupold is still giving great customer service. I also agree with DrMike regarding Leupold's distributor here in Canada, Korth always seems to be confrontational and a couple of times I have gone to head office after getting the run around from Korth here. Head office has always looked after the problem for me (y).
I was able to purchase a VX3 for my son's Model 70 from a friend that no longer needed it :shock:!

Blessings,
Dan

That's great!

It has been 20 years since I needed a Leupold scope repaired by Korth here in Canada; an older, used Vari-X III, after slipping in the mountains while mtn goat hunting; no visible damage and it was maintaining zero right after the fall, but a week later was all over the map.

My scope was back on my rifle in 11 days after being sent out for repairs, including postage two ways, at no charge. It is still on that 338 WinnMag and doing great.

Of the 24 rifles in my house, only 3 wear scopes that are not Leupold; my new 280 and 260 wear Swarovskis and my 416 has a Trijicon

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Of all the scoped rifles I own only one wears something other than a Leupold. But that one is one of the 2-7 Redfields made by Leupold on my daughters .243.

There's a lot of good marketing in exceptional customer service. A few companies have figured that out a long time ago.

I stepped on my Gold Ring Compact binoculars several years back and had heavy leather boots on. When I looked through them it was like one eye was fishing and the other was baiting the hook!! I sent them in to get the barrels aligned. Clearly it was all my fault.

A short time later my Gold Rings show up. They completely tore them down and aligned the barrels on the bino's. They cleaned and sealed things up again and made sure they were working great. No charge no hassle. Amazing service!

My son's 6mm Remington which I gave to him after my father had given it to me many years ago has a K4 Weaver on it, and my son's 300 WSM wears a Zeiss Conquest. That's it. Everything else is Leupold!!

Back in 2004 I was mounting a 1.5-5 VX-III in Talley Rings on my 458 Lott and my only option was putting the ring at the edge of the Gold Ring, and it cracked the glass tightening it up! I called them, told them what I did, they repaired it for free and sent it back in no time! Win Win situation and none better!

Wow Dan, that is great!

I sent my 3-9 Leupold back because it would not focus. I received the same email on January 4th, “We have received your product for service and estimate completion in 18 working days.” I have not yet heard from them, Monday will be 18 days so I hope it's being fixed. Most of my scopes and binos are Leupold never had a problem until now.

I've had similarly good experiences with Leupold. I ruptured a gas seal on a scope during a bad fall down a scree chute.... they had it fixed before I was even healed up...no charge even though I told them upfront it was induced damage by tumbling down a mountain!

I emailed Leupold customer service because I had not heard from them and they said my scope was fixed and on it way. Great news, will let you know how it works.

I have yet to hear a bad report regarding Leupold's customer service (y).
I wish that the Canadian distributor would understand that you catch more flies with honey than vinegar :lol:.

Blessings,
Dan

Well, after 19 seasons with my Swarovski 10x42 SLC's I've shipped them off to their warranty/repair centre in Rhode Island to get a loosened eyecup fixed and the binos reconditioned.

They were helpful on the phone and sent me FedEx paperwork to ship them free of charge to their shop. Unfortunately, we do not have FedEx locally, so I mailed them express post. Estimated service time is 4-6 weeks.

Hopefully, I will get the same type of service as Leupold provides. I will keep you posted.

Gil, I am sure that you will :wink:. Those Binoculars you are getting reconditioned are they the ones you so kindly let me use?
I wouldn't want them to get damaged in transit back to you :shock: so just get them to drop them off here in Regina & I will test them :mrgreen:.
Gil if they pass the test I will bring them up this fall if I get a invite to help take at least one Moose off the mountain :wink:.

Blessings,
Dan

sask boy":1lrc0cbf said:
Gil, I am sure that you will :wink:. Those Binoculars you are getting reconditioned are they the ones you so kindly let me use?
I wouldn't want them to get damaged in transit back to you :shock: so just get them to drop them off here in Regina & I will test them :mrgreen:.
Gil if they pass the test I will bring them up this fall if I get a invite to help take at least one Moose off the mountain :wink:.

Blessings,
Dan

Sneaky! Sneaky! Man, what that boy won't do to get away from the prairies! :lol:

Dan,

While I appreciate your concern regarding the quality of repair service and security of those binos that you did use while hunting with us here, I am looking forward to their quick return as they are the pair that I use for archery competitions, and will be needing them as soon as they can be returned!

That being said, please know that you are welcome to come play on the mountain and take home a moose anytime. I promise to not take you on every white-knuckle trail I know to get you there!

Gil, I know that you take great pride in your driving ability but where you took me I am sure few Mountain goats have ventured.
If there is a next time I will have bring a extra set of clothing :mrgreen:.

Blessings,
Dan

Back