Has anyone used a Zeiss Terra...

elkhunternm

Handloader
Jan 10, 2017
Has anyone used a Zeiss Terra 2x7? Have one on order and will put it on a .35 Whelen in the next few weeks (hopefully).

I would look at Cameralandny they have some great deals on all manufactures models.
I don't work for them but do buy from them and they have always been good and beat every ones prices.

elkhunternm":10117v85 said:
Never mind,the LGS could not get one,getting a Leupold 2x7 instead.

Good move. I'm reasonably certain that you will like the Leupold much more than you would the Terra--and I'm high on Zeiss.

DrMike":3sajkcwn said:
elkhunternm":3sajkcwn said:
Never mind,the LGS could not get one,getting a Leupold 2x7 instead.

Good move. I'm reasonably certain that you will like the Leupold much more than you would the Terra--and I'm high on Zeiss.
The Terra is assembled in China and carries a higher price then I think it should so that is one strike against it for me.

The Leupold is $10 (279.99 vs. 289.99) cheaper than the Terra.

Mostly own Leupold scopes,but only two Zeiss,one a 4x Conquest scope and a 12x45 Conquest Bino. Can never go wrong with a Leupold anyway. :)

I examined the Terra when it was first released and passed on it. I've owned multiple Zeiss scopes, but the Terra was just not a Conquest or a Victory--not even close.

DrMike,I had been wanting to try the Terra since they have been out. Just never could find one or "pull the trigger" when I did. Think I'll just give up and continue to using the Leupold's.

I sure do miss the Conquest,that was some great glass.

I had five Conquest scopes at one point. I've been fortunate to have replaced four of those with other high end scopes. The Conquest was (is) a fine piece of glass. They were priced right. I do have one Zeiss HD5 at the present. It is an excellent scope.

Never had the higher priced Zeiss. Would like too,but alas out of my price range. :(

For me the Leupold VX3 are just about right. Have not bought the newer VX3i but have looked through a couple and can see a slight improvement.

I have been fortunate in that I was field testing numerous high-end scopes. Otherwise, I could never have afforded them. They are nice. Worth the $$$? That is an individual call that only each user can answer. I do have a new Leupold VX3i. It is nice and priced quite reasonably, I do believe.

There's a Sportsman's Warehouse not far from here and I can go there compare the high dollar scopes and binos. To my eye once I get above say $500+ I don't see much of a difference. They have $2000+ Swaro's and,honestly,could not see any difference between them and the cheaper Leupold,Nikon or Steiner. Others here may disagree,but I cannot tell the difference.

Yup,the VX3i is about the same price as the ol' VX3. Have 2-3 3.5x10 on my rifles and LOVE them. Like those better than the 3x9 models.

elkhunternm":36w2szy4 said:
There's a Sportsman's Warehouse not far from here and I can go there compare the high dollar scopes and binos. To my eye once I get above say $500+ I don't see much of a difference. They have $2000+ Swaro's and,honestly,could not see any difference between them and the cheaper Leupold,Nikon or Steiner. Others here may disagree,but I cannot tell the difference.

Yup,the VX3i is about the same price as the ol' VX3. Have 2-3 3.5x10 on my rifles and LOVE them. Like those better than the 3x9 models.

if you can get them outside at near sundown , you stand a better chance of seeing a difference in the ability of the glass . at high noon they probably all look the same . the older I get the more I appreciate good glass .

I agree with the conquest scopes . I only have the 3-9's , but I'd say quality wise they are a bargain . towards the end of the phase out they were selling for $300 .

I have not had a chance to look through a VX3i . is it a better scope than the VX3 ?

Jimbires,very doubtful the staff at SW will let me take the scopes/binos outside at sunset. :lol:

In the store I looked at the "dark" corners of the store and could see slight difference in the different brands. Take that for what it is worth. ;)

IMO,the VX3i has slightly better glass than the VX3. Don't know about the elevation/windage settings,but if it is like the VX3 they should be rugged and hold true.

elkhunternm":14bdov38 said:
Jimbires,very doubtful the staff at SW will let me take the scopes/binos outside at sunset. :lol:

In the store I looked at the "dark" corners of the store and could see slight difference in the different brands. Take that for what it is worth. ;)

IMO,the VX3i has slightly better glass than the VX3. Don't know about the elevation/windage settings,but if it is like the VX3 they should be rugged and hold true.

I know , it's hard to get this stuff outside .

I have a few VX3 scopes and I do like them . I was just asking your opinion on the newer VX3i's . it's good to hear you think the glass is better . hopefully they are equal or better turrets too .

elkhunternm if you want the quality of Zeiss Conquest look at the Meopta Meopro line Meopta use to build the Conquest in NY State and are as good or better then the Leupold in my opinion and the 3.5-10X44 is a very nice scope for $365 assembled here in the USA. I have one and love it I also got one of the Zeiss 4.5-14X44MM - SF that I bought from Cameralandny and they are good people to deal with.

Thanks TD. Understand the Meopta Meopro line is the old Zeiss Conquest. That 3.5x10x44 is interesting. Going to have to figure out which rifle to put one on,maybe my Parker-Hale .25/06. ;)

elkhunternm":ca1dtlhp said:
Thanks TD. Understand the Meopta Meopro line is the old Zeiss Conquest. That 3.5x10x44 is interesting. Going to have to figure out which rifle to put one on,maybe my Parker-Hale .25/06. ;)
I put the Meopta on my M70 35Whelen/AI and it seems to be the perfect fit for this rifle, very clear and very good low light gathering enabling one to see into dark shadows in heavy woods as is my Zeiss Conquest 4.5-14 that is mounted on m M70 7mmRem.
I believe these (3.5-10X44mm) are left overs and won't be around long since they have came out with a 3.5-10X50mm model which has more reticle options.

I've been using a Conquest 3-9x for a few years and really like it. I wish I'd bought a couple more when they were $299.

For that matter, I wish I'd bought a couple of the 4x models as well.

I've looked at the Terra, just not in the same league.

TD,not too many heavy woods around here in New Mexico. :)
Have a 4x12 on the .25/06 and that is a bit much. Will have to wait till summer or early fall as I have other projects/bills that are first in line before the Meopta 3.5x10. :(

Hodgeman,have one of those 4x Zeiss on a .375 RUM and like you,wish I had more of them.

Back