Scope for a 338 Win

truck driver

Ammo Smith
Mar 11, 2013
I have an idea of what I want to put on it but would like to know from those who shoot this caliber what they use on them. I know scope selection is a personal thing and each has his own idea what's best so let's here what's best.

When I had my .338 I had both a 1.5-6 and a 2.5-8 on the rifle. But my preference has always been to have something with a lower end power for in the timber and river bottoms.

Mine wore the Leupold Vari-X III in 3.5-10x40, as does my 338-06. Works well in the dark timber, out in the open, and up on the mountain. My 338-06 initially wore the 2.5-8x36, but was changed for the extra magnification for the open and mountain shooting, as well as the larger exit pupil at higher magnification. My scopes are always set to the lowest magnification while hunting, and get turned up as and when needed.

Leupold Vari-X III 2.5x-8x was my choice for my LH Sako Finnbear, I use the same model scope on my LH M-70 .375H&H, too.
It is reliable, rugged, lightweight, and has never lost zero on either rifle.

George

I put a Leupold VX7 2-10x45 on .340 wby. Handles the recoil, very clear glass and I like the low end. The only grip about the scope is the field of view is not what other high end scopes have. Having said that I have never noticed it while hunting. Excellent subtensions for hunting, easy to get behind and tracks well.

My ideal scope would be a 2-8X42 with a BDC reticle or a 2-10X42 with the same reticle.
I've also consider a 6X42 with a LR reticle.
The rifle weighs 7.75lbs empty so I don't want to go much over 16oz for the scope if I can help it thinking 8 1/2lbs should be about right for total weight.

Roger,

My 338 RUM initially wore a VX III 2.5-8x36mm with a duplex reticle.
The scope performed flawlessly out to 500 yards.
It would be a great match for your 338 Win Mag.

JD338

truck driver":25qsqcu4 said:
elkhunternm":25qsqcu4 said:
What do you intend to hunt with it?
Elk, deer and anything that gets in the way :grin:
Ok,if you want a variable go with a 3.5x10 or if you want a fixed go with 4x or a 6x. My scopes have just the plain ol' duplex reticle. Two of them have the LR reticle,one my .338 RUM (Leupold 3x9) and the other (Leupold) 2x7 coming in and it's going on the .35 Whelen. I ignore the dots and just pay attention to the duplex. Got the scopes with the LR reticle cause they were cheaper. :lol:

I have used the Leopold 2.5 X 8 on a couple of rifles. for several years and found them to be very satisfactory.

I have used two scopes on my 338.
1. 1.5x6 Bushnell 4200
2. 2.5x10 Weaver Classic extreme

I had the 1.5x6 on when I got my moose in Manitoba but it now resides on a 338-06. Both work great but the 2.5x10 makes load workup easier.

Note. These were / are on a t-3 lite so weight is a non issue.

I would think any 2x7. 3x9 or 2.5x10 that fits your weight requirements would be fine.

I have had the 2.5x8 VX3, Swaro 2.5x10, Leupold M8 4X, SWFA SS 3x9 and probably some others on my 338's. I believe that I am going to go with a Leupold 6x36 with LR Duplex on it. I have found I really like the eye relief of the 6X's and if I can't hit it with the 6X it isn't due to enough magnification. Ton's of options and none are wrong, but I want something with the ability to connect on the 400-500 yards shots so I am not completely using Kentucky Windage.

Eye relief should be near your top priority though. I would look for something that has at least 3.75" or more. I think you'll see what I mean when you start touching off some loads.

6x36 or 6x42mm with LR reticle dots would be sweet. The 3.5-10x40mm Leupold with the B&C reticle would be another great one. The Zeiss Conquest with the Z600 reticle would also be sweet!

I'm leaning towards a Leupold 6X42 with the LR reticle if I can get one at a decent price. I really like my Meopta 3.5-10X44 but they don't offer a BDC reticle in it just the straight plex. The 3-12X42 Vortex Diamond Back HP MOA Plex will reside on it till I find what I want.

truck driver":1kuwto8g said:
I'm leaning towards a Leupold 6X42 with the LR reticle if I can get one at a decent price. I really like my Meopta 3.5-10X44 but they don't offer a BDC reticle in it just the straight plex. The 3-12X42 Vortex Diamond Back HP MOA Plex will reside on it till I find what I want.

I always ran a 3-9X40 on my 338 win mags. That being said any of the scopes you listed would serve you well. I prefer turning dials over any BDC reticle for accurate longer range shooting, just my .02

Back