New scope options for a 300 win mag

Poz

Beginner
Feb 1, 2016
Have just bought 2 nee rifles a Remington 700 XCR 300WM and a CDL 375H&H, I have a couple of swarovski z3 on my 30 06 and 338 06, I was just looking at what other options are out there for scoping these 2 rifles, I don't want to go to high mounts so it will have to be 40 - 44 objective on the 300 and the 375 will be for large game so I want to keep the low power at 1.5-2 any advice would be greatly appreciated

I have a VX6 in 2-12 , I really like it . it has a wide field of view on 2 power and 12 power will let you shoot out there a good ways .

I have two 2-7 Leupolds. They can often be mounted in low rings and are an excellent all around hunting scope IMHO. CL

Why get anything other than Swarovski? Best glass you can get. Get the X5 of z6 or z8

My wife thinks I only have 3 guns

I have been looking at the vx3i and wondered how they compare to the z3 but depending on who you ask the responses are wildly different. I am thinking of just getting a leupold and if it's not up to par just putting it on my pig gun

If you don't need to top out higher than 8x, both Vortex and Leica are offering 1.5-8x32 scopes that would fit those rifles very nicely. Both are said to have awesome glass, are light weight, have great hunting reticles, and both have long eye relief. The Vortex uses a 1" tube and the Leica a 30 mm tube. Both are less than $1k. The Vortex is their Razor HD LH 1.5-8x32, and the Leica is their ER5 1.5-8x32.

jimbires":1u6mcw3z said:
I have a VX6 in 2-12 , I really like it . it has a wide field of view on 2 power and 12 power will let you shoot out there a good ways .

Pretty good scope for the money.

With the .375 H&H (I didn't know that cartridge was avail in the 700 CDL!) I'd at least consider a sturdy, light, fixed power scope such as a 2.5x or 3x Leupold. Few moving parts. Very strong. Very light. Great field of view. Great eye relief...

Regards, Guy

Guy Miner":3qqyn8i8 said:
With the .375 H&H (I didn't know that cartridge was avail in the 700 CDL!) I'd at least consider a sturdy, light, fixed power scope such as a 2.5x or 3x Leupold. Few moving parts. Very strong. Very light. Great field of view. Great eye relief...

Regards, Guy
They did it as a special run in 2012, someone paid a deposit on the rifle and didn't come back for it in 3 years so it went back on the market. I was thinking a 1.5-5x leupold vx3i but have heard very little about them, clear, sharp, good light transfer? so asking you guys for some assistance.

Guy. I was thinking a 1.5-5x leupold vx3i but have heard very little about them, clear, sharp, good light transfer? so asking you guys for some assistance.
As I have one of those on my 45/70, I was thinking the same. A great scope, very clear, mounts low, and is great for most shooting needs.

Knowing that a 300win can reach out and touch a few things I would likely look seriously at a VX6 :wink:, mine is a 2-12X42mm it is mounted on my 280AI and it has served me well.

Blessings,
Dan

The Leupold VX-3 2.5-8x36mm is a great all around hunting scope.
If you want more scope, the VX-6 2-12x42mm is the way to go.
My girlfriend has this scope on her Nosler M48 280AI. With the WindPlex FireDot reticle,
she has no problems hitting the 600 yard gong.

JD338

JD338":pmwqnwod said:
The Leupold VX-3 2.5-8x36mm is a great all around hunting scope.
If you want more scope, the VX-6 2-12x42mm is the way to go.
My girlfriend has this scope on her Nosler M48 280AI. With the WindPlex FireDot reticle,
she has no problems hitting the 600 yard gong.

JD338
How does the leupold go at first and last light, I know you guys are somewhat limited with legal hunting hours but out here if you can see em you can hunt em. If you can get 20 or 30 minutes more hunting time with a swarovski then great but if the difference is only 3 to 5 minutes then I can't see the point in the euro glass

As far as first/last shooting light goes, DrMike did a bunch of testing at the local range with several makes a few years back and found the advantage for Swarovski and Kahles to be approximately 15 minutes over Leupold, Nightforce, etc for being able to define a target and its aiming points at shooting distances (if I am recalling all the details accurately). The question is whether or not each individual is willing to pay the extra $ for the extra 1/2 hour per day of light gathering ability, as per their particular hunting needs.

As for the Leupold VX3 1.5-5 scope, or it's newer version in 3i, this has been THE goto dangerous game rifle scope for decades! Light, compact, dependable, and durable are just the beginning of its long list of accolades.

For a 300 Win Mag, I would personally opt for a little more magnification for those 3-400 yard shots, and like you prefer to mount no bigger than 40 mm objective scopes on serious terrain hunting rifles. I own more 3.5-10 x 40 Leupolds than any other model.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blkram":22sfyc1y said:
As far as first/last shooting light goes, DrMike did a bunch of testing at the local range with several makes a few years back and found the advantage for Swarovski and Kahles to be approximately 15 minutes over Leupold, Nightforce, etc for being able to define a target and its aiming points at shooting distances (if I am recalling all the details accurately). The question is whether or not each individual is willing to pay the extra $ for the extra 1/2 hour per day of light gathering ability, as per their particular hunting needs.

As for the Leupold VX3 1.5-5 scope, or it's newer version in 3i, this has been THE goto dangerous game rifle scope for decades! Light, compact, dependable, and durable are just the beginning of its long list of accolades.

For a 300 Win Mag, I would personally opt for a little more magnification for those 3-400 yard shots, and like you prefer to mount no bigger than 40 mm objective scopes on serious terrain hunting rifles. I own more 3.5-10 x 40 Leupolds than any other model.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks for that, the exact information I was looking for

Thanks to everyone for the advice and replies, I opted for the Z3 as I had the cash and to my eye there was a clear advantage in the swarovski

Back