New binoculars

Poz

Beginner
Feb 1, 2016
Well it's red deer hunting time here in Queensland, and unfortunately it's also very busy for me and can't get out for another week, but I was in need of upgrading my 10x25 celestron binos. I looked at every pair of binoculars I could get me hands on, both in shops and at mates houses. My budget was $1000 so that's where I was focusing but as you do I had to look through a few pairs that were stretching that budget. I found myself looking through a pair of swarovski 10x42 SLCs and boy were they nice and clear, but out of my budget so back to shopping. Well no matter what I kept daydreaming about the SLCs and thought I would upgrade to them at a later date. Then I thought if I bought the swaros now then I guess I would be saving myself the $1000 now and spending the $2200 from later earlier, see how I can talk myself into things. Anyway I bought the dearer binos an now can't wait to use them. They are light weight and crystal clear, a huge improvement over my old binos

I sure like my 10x42 SLCs too. What I appreciate about them is as much the handling and form as the glass.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I believe you are going to be very pleased that you invested in the SLCs. They will serve you for many years, providing excellent optics when many others would have given up the ghost.

That was my reasoning, I figured I'd be in a situation at some point where I'd have wished I'd bought the better glass then I would have been buying them not long after, so money on the credit card and pay it off while enjoying quality gear now

I looked through these in Toowoomba yesterday - great glass! And I'd just spent a few days using Leica Geovids so had a good idea of how good they needed to be.

Nice purchase!

Regards,
Dicko.

Nice. Just treated myself to Zeiss 10x42's for about $1000. Nicest binoculars I've ever had.

Got some amazing service out of a pair of Krugers, made in China. They were cheap, but surprisingly good. Still, it was time to replace and upgrade.

Guy

A few years back I took my Bushnell Excursions on a Moose hunt and they failed me :(, Gil (blkram) let me use his extra pair of Swaros and I have now been spoiled :shock:. He was going to frisk me before I left to make sure they didn't accidentally get stuck in one of my bags :mrgreen: .
I still have not replaced my glasses but when I do there are only a few manufacturers that I will be testing. Swaros are at the top with Leica a very close second.

Blessings,
Dan

My thoughts about binos,

They should be the best you can afford, more so than rifle scopes. It's a one time purchase because binos don't really wear out. Pay once, cry once and enjoy them each and every time you are afield. There are bonus that you won't realize until you start using top end glass and that is there is game that you have been missing that you'll now see.

And you are right about spending now instead of later. Sounds like you would not have been happy with the mid-level after looking through the SLC's. Same thing happened to me with a pair of Victories......screwed me for life it did! Anyway, you would have eventually bought the SLC's and they would have been more expensive then and all that time wasted not using them.

Well said Chuck. In todays market, there are ALOT of good values out there for a 1000 bucks.

Meopta, Tract, Vortex, etc.. Some of those are really hard to tell much difference compared to the big guys unless your work puts you behind them for extended periods of time. Good binoculars are really an awesome piece of gear.

Back