Thinking about a new scope for 300 wsm

AFG270

Handloader
Aug 26, 2013
I have a Model 70 Featherweight 300 wsm with a Leupold VX-1 3-9. With my aging eyes I'm having trouble focusing the scope. I recently put a Vortex Viper 2.5-10x44 on another rifle and really noticed the difference in clarity over my VX-1. I like the Vortex but it is a little bigger than what I want on the Featherweight. I'm thinking about a Leupold VX-3i 3.5-10x40 or an on sale VX-6 2-12x42 or maybe a Zeiss Conquest HD5 2-10x42 on sale right now at Cabela's.

I like the price on the VX-3i, but how is the clarity compared to the VX-6 and/or Zeiss? I have looked through scopes at Cabela's before but it is not quite the same as a hunting situation IMHO.

Any thoughts? Thanks for your input.

Any one of the three scopes you name will serve you well. I have samples of each of these scopes, and truthfully, for 95% of the situations in which I hunt, I can't tell the difference. You can make an argument for those few moments of first light and for last light that one will be superior to another. Otherwise...

Thank you, DrMike. I appreciate your input. There are some pretty good deals on scopes right now.

I am really partial to my VX6 2-12 X 42 but the other 2 are nothing to sneeze at either (y)!

Blessings,
Dan

Dad purchased a VX-3i with CDS and WindPlex reticle off eBay last year (best prices) and we used it for our antelope hunt in October. I was extremely impressed with its performance, and would recommend one highly.

I think it is a much better scope than the Vortex (I own a couple).

If you're open to alternatives, it might be worthwhile to take a look at Vortex' new Razor HD LH in their 1.5-8x32 or 2-10x42. These are two scopes that have really piqued my interest, particularly if trying to stay on the lighter end of scopes out there.

Thank you, gentlemen. I have not looked at the Razor HD, will definitely do that, thanks.

I really like my two VX6 2-12's but they are fairly big scopes. I actually don't mind them on smaller sorta rifles, but some folks don't like them. Another, that is really a jack of all for me is the SWFA SS 3x9 HD. Glass is Excellent, reticle and turrets really work excellent, but again, it is fairly heavy and not compact, but it covers alot of ground for me and it dials very well.

If the VX6 is within your reach it is hard to not like them. As Jim said, it's low light performance is very good, tracks pretty well and the eye box and eye relief are excellent. I've for the VX6's on my 35 Newton and 338 Win Mag and like them alot.

Seems to me that the 3.5-10x40mm Leupold or the 4.5-14x40mm Leupold VX3-i scopes would work very well for you. They look a little trimmer than the 2-12x40mm Leupold and I think would fit the rifle a bit better but that's just me. Nothing wrong with the 30 mm tube but it certainly does look a lot larger.

Back