Cheatin' Dog sight-in!

Guy Miner

Master Loader
Apr 6, 2006
:grin: At the range with a new 6x Leupold atop my good ol' .25-06 Rem 700... I had bore-sighted it crudely, but it looked pretty good to me...
BbwUu2Ml.jpg

Didn't have my shooting buddy with me, and was thinking I ought to do my usual routine of taking a few shots at modest range, often only 25 yards. This works well, and is a great way to get initial windage & elevation dialed in.

But no... The morning sun was highlighting a big dirt clod in the impact area 25 yards or so behind the 300 yard berm... I grinned... Got a firm hold on my quarter bore, squeezed off a Blue Cyclone 115 gr Ballistic Tip and was rewarded with a big cloud of dust a couple of feet low and left of the clod.

Spun the dials on the scope and sent a second shot downrange. Just missed the clod...

Spun the dials a little less, and sent a third shot... The clod blew apart from a good hit! :mrgreen:

Cool. I laughed, let the rifle cool a bit. Zeroed it more carefully at 200 yards on paper. Took a few shots at 100 yards just to see where it was hitting there, a tad high, as expected.

Grinned again, sitting on my rear as if in hunting, put the to "long-range" dot on a remnant of that original 325 yard clod, and destroyed it with a final Blue Cyclone. Gotta love it.

I went through most of a box of ammo, but actually had my 325 yard dope in 3 shots, shooting at a dirt clod. Fun. I don't remember ever zeroing a rifle at 300+ yards initially, then coming back closer in.

Guy

That sounds like fun, but then again, you have a ton of history with that rifle and cartridge.. Surprised you even put a scope on it.. Probably darned near shoots to wear you point it! :mrgreen:

Remember in The Corps, we'd zero our M-16 sights at 200 yards on the rifle range. That impressed me, and stayed with me.

I do like my .25-06, it's good to be shooting it again. Pretty much ignored it last year, using the .30-06 mostly.

Guy

Guy your reminiscing about your battle sight zero brought back old memories and I looked at my old dog tags hanging on the stand light on my dresser to see if my battle sight zero was still visible since I had inscribed it on them in boot so I would remember it if I was issued a different rifle.
It's hard to believe it has been 48yrs ago.

Guy Miner":hhyjyiy8 said:
Remember in The Corps, we'd zero our M-16 sights at 200 yards on the rifle range. That impressed me, and stayed with me.

I do like my .25-06, it's good to be shooting it again. Pretty much ignored it last year, using the .30-06 mostly.

Guy

Heck yeah I remember that Guy. I LOVED the rifle range. From Recruit Training till I did my last qualification required as a GySgt, I loved being out there.

Today the Corps uses the ACOG for their rifle range right from the get go. Probably a more accurate deal, but I kinda twinge a little there isn't iron sights and the comprehension to make them work.

I still remember thinking about how that scrawny little 5.56 green tip would make it to the target at 500 yards, but I'll be danged I could keep them really tight with the old ratt'ly M16's and a tight loop sling to take the slop out of those suckers..

The 25-06 is a great cartridge and does not get the love it deserves in my opinion. It shoots flat and hits hard and does not hammer the person behind the rifle! What's not to love. Those CDL's are fantastic looking also. I really like that scope Guy.

Back