New scope

ldg397

Handloader
Sep 27, 2007
Looking for a new scope for my 7 mag with a little more magnification. Currently wears a z3 3x10x42 getting bumped to my 30-06 or 6.5x55.

I looked at the zeiss hd5 3-15x42 or x50 with rz600. They have them on sale for a pretty good price. I was about ready to walk out with it and looked at a new leupold vx-5hd 3x15x44 and to my eyes it was clearer and brighter than the zeiss which surprised me. I didn't believe it but then looked through a z3 4-12 and it seemed better than that. It had to be the 30mm tube.

Has anyone seen this new scope or had any experience with it. I prefer the leupold eye box always seems more forgiving. It was good enough to make me walk away and do some more research.

It's so hard to compare scopes inside a store, doing that does not always tell the story. Leupold is still throwing out more lines of scopes. Anyway, enough griping about the Leupold marketing department.....................

I own three conquests and three leupold scopes and love all of them,(standard conquest, one VX6 & one VX7, not the 5 or the conquest HD). From what I can tell the VX5 uses the same glass as the VX 6 and that is to my eyes better than the Conquest. Now, the HD might be a wash but, in one of my resolution tests the VX6 clearly beat the standard Conquest.

Point to this rambling is that level of Leupold is very good and only the user can judge if the leupold out performs the Zeiss.

One word of caution, the VX5 might not have the adjustments in the turret that the zeiss has? If enough then I would let your eyes make that decision. One can't really go wrong with either.

I think that is going to be too much magnification for me. I am really looking for that 3-15 range.

Sorry

30mm tube makes a difference. I bought a Steiner GS3. It amazing (and pricey).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Would love to have an S&B and those are pretty good prices. Problem is I have about $500 in gift cards and points at Cabelas.

They are running another vx 6 sale. So it boils down to these three scopes.

VX 6 3-18x44 CDS for $1,025
VX 6 2-12x42 CDS for $1,025
VX 5HD 3-15x44 b&c for $999

Opinions??

Any one of those three scopes will serve you well. I have not actually handled the VX 5HD, but I have representatives of the other two. They are good scopes and will exceed expectations.

Great scopes. If you are dropping that much coin, look at the Steiner GS3. It's extremely good in low light.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ok y'all have talked me into the vx6 2-12x42. Which one a Boone and Crockett or CDS zero lock.

ldg397":1off7jyr said:
Ok y'all have talked me into the vx6 2-12x42. Which one a Boone and Crockett or CDS zero lock.

I think the CDS Zero Lock is a good set up on a plain old Duplex. I run them on a #4 reticle and they work pretty darned well. I like the VX6. Hard to beat it as a set it sorta hunting scope that can dial some if you want.

ldg397":16vq6gjo said:

that's what I have , the B&C reticle with the cds knob . I have the scope zeroed at 200 yards and it works well out to 500 . I just hold the 500 yard mark high for 550 yards . the reticle works so well with this rifle combo I have not had the knob made for it , and doubt I will .

Well I had a plan when I went into Cabelas but it all went to hell once I got there. I got a 10% off coupon in the mail but you can't use it online. So I thought I would just get the vx5hd.

Well just looking around and saw on the back shelf a Swarovski marked to $1259 from $1500. I asked to look at it. It was a z5 3.5-18x44 brh reticle. This happens to match the reticle on my z3. Confirmed the 10% coupon would still work and walked out the door with it for $650 after I cashed in all my discounts, gift cards, and points. I felt sorry for the people behind me.

I guess you could say I "settled" for the Swarovski. However in the store that 30mm tube on the leupold my have been slightly brighter.

Wow, that is a great deal! I think you will be happy even though you "settled" on a Swarovski. LOL

A 30mm tube will do nothing for your brightness, or light gathering ability in a scope. It is purely to allow for more windage and elevation adjustment. Peroid. This is information direct from the technicians and engineers who design these scopes; regardless of what the salesman or internet wizard tells you.

Eye relief; Leupold has usually held the edge here...up to 4" at the lower power settings. This helps reduce scope bites (as does good shooting form).

I have not yet seen the new VX-5, but am interested to check it out. The Swarovski Z-5 is another winner. You will not regret buying this scope! Great deal too!

Well loved the new Z5 during hunting season this year on my 7mag.

But I was monitoring the Black Friday deals for Christmas gifts and what email comes across from europtic.

New Leupold VX6 2-12x42 boone Crockett for $699 free shipping no tax. Could not pass it up.

Back