Vortex Golden Eagle Impressions

.300winmag

Handloader
Oct 17, 2011
Put the golden eagle on a buddy's 6.5x47 I've been contemplating buying from him, while I'm waiting for my .284 to get finished up. After work one day I took it and got it zeroed at 100 yards and proceeded to take it to a local 600 yard F-class shoot and was very impressed with the glass and performance. tracked well, very clear, good eye relief and resolution, and loved the retcie. Shot the match on 50x all day. Shot a 588-xx (197,195,196)out of 600, ended up winning out of a dozen or so folks. Even a blind squirrel finds a nut.

Then I took it out to the range the following Friday and tried a few different loads with 140 Hybrids and H4350 at 600 yards. Mirage was very heavy, but was able to focus through the majority of it and had quite a successful trip. The rifle shot everything well but one load stood out especially. 40grs H4350 shot one group at just over an inch for 5 shots and another 4 shot group with the magneto attached to the rifle at just over 2". Clocked in at 2,771fps with an SD of 8fps for 9 shots.

So I ended up returning his rifle to him in the form of a personal check, and placed an order for another Golden Eagle.

Side by side with my 15-55 NF, I personally could not see hardly any difference, and I certainly did not see $1000 worth of difference.

Gets two thumbs up from me

Attachments

• IMG_3646.JPG
    IMG_3646.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 667
  • IMG_3643.JPG
    IMG_3643.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 667
  • IMG_3632.JPG
    IMG_3632.JPG
    2.3 MB · Views: 667
I have had only one experience with a Vortex scope and it was not that good but again it was their bottom line.
Now I am on a few local forums and the Vortex scopes are really becoming popular as some of the competition shooters are using them and are liking them so much they are switching out their hunting rifle to Vortex as well.
I know that we have a dealer just outside of Regina that has really made a name for himself and is a great guy and really enjoys dealing with the ordinary hunter but also is knowledgeable in all aspects of shooting.
In the last while I have looked through a couple of their spotting scopes and for the price they really are not that bad at all.

Blessings,
Dan

Back