Old eye's and New options

HomerOz

Handloader
Sep 13, 2012
G'Day Fella's,

As a result of not getting any younger, I've had to start wearing glasses for reading. I also have to wear them when, when I'm shooting a handgun (and iron sighted rifles)..... until now.
I had previously designed and then machined up a mount and then fitted it and a Trijicon RMR Red Dot sight to a Winchester 1892 lever action (in .45 Colt).

I was so impressed with this set up, I started looking at doing the same for a pistol I've had for a while. This is a BUL M5 in .38 Super (a double stack, polymer framed 1911 type auto loader).
I already had the Trijicon RMR sight (a different model to the above sight, on the 1892), but no commercial mounts are available for the slide on the BUL M5. That wasn't a problem, I just needed the time to measure up, design and then machine the mount/base on my milling machine.

Here's some images;
DSCN1923.JPG
DSCN1930.JPG
DSCN1928.JPG
DSCN1926.JPG
DSCN1929.JPG
DSCN1933.JPG

Bingo!
No more prescription glasses required (but Safety Glasses are), and all is good again. Also, you can see the Orange Dot in the view finder of the sight, in the image from the rear of the pistol.

I forgot to mention, this is just a proto-type, and I needs some refinement and weight loss ("Jenny Craig" it).

Hope that helps some others

Doh!
Homer

Nice work, a red dot on a handgun can be very accurate and fast with a little practice

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

G'Day Fella's,

Thank You for your kind comments.
As Thebear_78 suggests, I'll now need to spend a bit of time at the Range, getting accustomed to this new gizmo.

Regards
Homer

G'Day Fella's,

After some thought, I found I was basically happy with the way this mount turned out.
That is, apart from getting rid of it a little of it ("Jenny Craig-ing"/"Swiss Cheesing"), to reduce weight.
Here's a few images;
DSCN2040.JPG
DSCN2044.JPG
You can just see a blurred view of the Orange dot (Round), in the bottom image.

I've shot a few IPSC stages with this in place on the pistol, and apart from me needing more practice getting familiar with it's use, I'm very happy with it.
I hope this may get a few other older Powder Burners, to have a look at fitting one of these sights to their own handguns (and Rifles), and keep them shootin.

Avagreatweekendeh!
Homer

Back